Perfect deck, except...

magpie9

The hands and the martyred expression in the eyes bother me. I don't get how this relates to choices, except maybe between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea....certain death vs certain death...pick your method?
I think it's the deformed hands and without hope eyes that get me with this card...the combination is just tooo much.

tarotbear

Gladly, tarotbear, here's mine! (and now that I look at it again - the blue flowers in her hair bug me, too! lol! Looks like a bathing cap from the 60's ;p ) I don't know what it is - the pointy fingers or the flattened face, or the odd, stoned look in the too-large eyes - it just - makes my fur lie against the grain! I don't have this kind of "recoil reaction" from any other card in any other deck I have. :confused:

She looks like she is on some pretty heavy psychotropic medications.

tarotbear

I find that weird, optical illusion sort of 2 of Cups in the Rohrig far more unnerving

So, where is the third arm around the back coming from ?

Padma

It's news to me that this card has caused mass offence. How curious; the conclusions people reach. I never for one minute thought that she was much younger than him. Where did that theory come from? However, I do think he strikes a rather forceful pose and the clothes he is wearing, the colours and fabrics, seem Moroccan to me. I wonder if there's something subliminal there.

Well, I for one noted he had white hair and I thought he looked older than she. That's a very interesting comment about the Moroccan thing - could you explain further? :) (Your insights on decks are *always* of interest...)

I find that weird, optical illusion sort of 2 of Cups in the Rohrig far more unnerving (see below).

I have to look at it again - thanks for the scan! The first time it took me a while to figure it out...

As for me, I have to confess, after 2 years, that I have been unable to like (still) the Lovers in the 2nd edition Bohemian Gothic. This must be the only MRP card I cannot work with. It jars with the rest of the deck, has none of the Victorian parlour photography darkness of the other images and I use the deck with fingers crossed that the card doesn't come up.

le Fanu, do you have a scan or pic to show us...? I am curious...but I can certainly relate about the crossed fingers. I feel the same way about the Victorian 2 Swords!

The hands and the martyred expression in the eyes bother me.

Exactly!!!! You so nailed it, Magpie - I think that is what bothers me about it, but I couldn't quite put my finger on the right word for it!

I don't get how this relates to choices, except maybe between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea....certain death vs certain death...pick your method?
I think it's the deformed hands and without hope eyes that get me with this card...the combination is just tooo much.

Lol @ devil and deep blue sea! But also, thanks, I am glad to see it isn't just "snakes in my head" lol!

She looks like she is on some pretty heavy psychotropic medications.

I would tend to agree, tb! Kinda like the delphic oracle in the 300 movie about Sparta...mind you, if I looked like that, I would want to space out, too ;p lol!

Padma

So, where is the third arm around the back coming from ?

I didn't even see that the first time - I had to go back and look again...and yeah, lol! whose arm IS that...?

magpie9

I would tend to agree, tb! Kinda like the delphic oracle in the 300 movie about Sparta...mind you, if I looked like that, I would want to space out, too ;p lol!
Good Grief! I just realized I do know someone who looks like that.....and she is pretty weird and really crazy. Paranoid delusions, the whole thing. Maybe for her it really is between the devil and the deep blue sea most of the time.Poor thing.

Chiriku

At a party hosted by Tarot Media company at Pantheacon last year. She was hilarious.

I've heard she's a very compelling speaker.

For my part, I've noticed that a lot of Lo Scarabeo decks have a few cards that kill the deck for me. Usually these are exceptionally unlovely cards, downright ugly indeed. With the advent of widespread Internet, blogs and image searches, I now have the prerogative of not buying that deck to begin with.

I have also wielded the black Sharpie (for those who don't know, it's a heavy permanent ink marker) on one deck--the Swedish Witch/Jolanda. AJ was "there" with me as I performed the defacement in a frenzy of revulsion. Several images formed repetitive patterns were offensive to my brain given a mental block/phobia I have. Without taking this action, I doubt I would "risk" using this deck again because there are too many "bad" cards in this respect (at least 6-7).

Laura Borealis

Really? That surprises me. Which cards (or are they too repulsive to remember?)

Padma

I too am devilishly curious. Scans, Chiriku! lol :)

Carla

Didn't someone here draw some pants on Banana Man in Robin Wood with a black sharpie? And someone else dotted in the empty eyes of Sacred Rose?