Anyone know anything about this Rider deck?

Chrystella

Interesting. Was this version available in the U.S.?

Sulis

I agree with gregory, it looks like a purple box to me that's faded.

I had one of those and gave it away although mine wasn't faded, it was dark purple but the box was the same. It was exactly like my Blue Box Rider copy - same colouring, same lovely, soft hardly there lamination, same lovely soft feel to the cards.. The only difference was the purple box copy had a copyright mark on the card borders. I can't remember the date of the copyright..

It's a lovely deck..

Essence of Winter

Interesting. Was this version available in the U.S.?

I don't think so but my '90s US yellow box has identical cards to my purple box edition. Both are made in Switzerland so I think they are the same cards with a different box.

Essence of Winter

I had one of those and gave it away although mine wasn't faded, it was dark purple but the box was the same. It was exactly like my Blue Box Rider copy - same colouring, same lovely, soft hardly there lamination, same lovely soft feel to the cards.. The only difference was the purple box copy had a copyright mark on the card borders. I can't remember the date of the copyright..

It's a lovely deck..

My blue box has somewhat paler images than my purple box edition and less lamination, although there isn't much in it. I'll see how this one compares when it arrives.

gregory

It's a lovely deck..
The copyright of EVERY edition that has them on the cards says 1971. Unless someone can prove me wrong - but on every last one I own, it is. And I have many...

They are lovely cards :) Smooth.

rwcarter

The copyright of EVERY edition that has them on the cards says 1971. Unless someone can prove me wrong - but on every last one I own, it is. And I have many...
The China printing of the Giant Rider Waite says "1971, 2010" or whatever the date was when the China printing occurred. It's discussed elsewhere here in Rider-Waite-Smith. Don't know if newer editions of the yellow box USG deck have dual copyright dates on them or not.

gregory

The China printing of the Giant Rider Waite says "1971, 2010" or whatever the date was when the China printing occurred. It's discussed elsewhere here in Rider-Waite-Smith. Don't know if newer editions of the yellow box USG deck have dual copyright dates on them or not.
Ooh - thanks. I love infotitbits :) (My giant is Belgian.)

Essence of Winter

Ooh - thanks. I love infotitbits :) (My giant is Belgian.)

Mine too. I couldn't get on with the Italian Giant with the typeface font.

It looks like I won't be receiving the deck referred to in this thread - the seller just sent me a message saying that he left the deck out to post it and his one and a half year old son got into it, chewed the cards and ripped some :(

Chrystella

I picked up one of these on eBay. I'm now referring to it as the Purple Box.

It's a little perplexing.

• The back of the box says "£9.95 in UK only"
  • The World and The Fool cards on the box cover have copyright info
  • The cards have the "1971 U.S. Games" copyright info
  • The info card is for U.S. Games at 38 East 32nd St
  • The LWB has Rider & Company 62-65 Chandos Place London WC2N 4NW (my Blue shown here has 3 Fitzroy Square)
  • An ISBN (0-09-109340-6) search results in a listing from Abe Books with 1987 Rider and 1994 Random House on Amazon and alibris.

The quality is pretty standard imo - not matte like the Blue Box, but not heavily laminated either.

Attachments

• PurpleBox.jpg
    PurpleBox.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 843

Essence of Winter

I picked up one of these on eBay. I'm now referring to it as the Purple Box.

It's a little perplexing.

• The back of the box says "£9.95 in UK only"
  • The World and The Fool cards on the box cover have copyright info
  • The cards have the "1971 U.S. Games" copyright info
  • The info card is for U.S. Games at 38 East 32nd St
  • The LWB has Rider & Company 62-65 Chandos Place London WC2N 4NW (my Blue shown here has 3 Fitzroy Square)
  • An ISBN (0-09-109340-6) search results in a listing from Abe Books with 1987 Rider and 1994 Random House on Amazon and alibris.

The quality is pretty standard imo - not matte like the Blue Box, but not heavily laminated either.

The Purple box was my first Rider deck and my first proper Tarot. I think the contents are identical to the contemporary Yellow box editions sold in the US (except for the booklets) but with the Rider address on the box.

The cards are really nice quality and not heavily laminated at all but more so than the Blue Box.

I believe they came in this box from the '80s to the '90s but I can't be more specific about the dates.