10 of Swords

WalesWoman

Teheuti said:
I like the lawyer analogy. Please, don't stop here.
:laugh: Someone pointed out that I have posted on this thread, about once a year. I'll add more thoughts as they come...

You know that is another 10 Swords thing, when you are tired/preoccupied, or worn down and your thoughts & mental processes simply can't get off the ground.

OH no, now they are coming up like mad... 10 Swords, when you nail something down.... it is no longer an illusive concept. Or even as simple as tacking a note/ shopping list on the corkboard, so you won't forget... and it won't get lost on the desk top.

Sorry, those aren't quite so deep or thought provoking and more mundane, but ... you asked. :D

Honeybea, I am really enjoying your insights into the symbolism here and how you turn that into a message. I was really into researching symbolism a few years back and sort of got lazy about really getting into the cards and looking for those deeper meanings that symbols and colors impart.

Teheuti

Imagemaker said:
I got this card in a reading today that brought the thought out--"the drama is over."
That's a good one. It goes along with the "overkill" aspects of the card, but takes it one step further.

I once had a fantasy about using this card as the basis of a story I called "Murder at the Tarot Symposium," which was an Agatha Christie-esque "Murder on the Orient Express" scenario in which ten people each killed the victim. In my mind, this was the best way to definitely "kill" a certain drama that was taking place. Ooooh, I can be bad. However, I found that such fantasies can come back to stab me. One must be careful.

Mary

Parzival

10 of swords

I appreciate this thread of readings for the 10 of swords. All thoughts have been interesting and insightful. It seems to me that we're at the end of Hamlet, and there is no more action to be taken. Thought has weighed down the mind and heart to inescapable ruination. It has stopped the chakras' flow.( Yet it has left a blessing as a hint of hope for the future. From devastation of destiny to re-creation of destiny.) As the swords pin down the victim, the black sky crushes down the golden sky of wisdom and joy. In a way, it is the opposite of the Ace of Cups.

HoneyBea

WalesWoman said:
:laugh:
Honeybea, I am really enjoying your insights into the symbolism here and how you turn that into a message. I was really into researching symbolism a few years back and sort of got lazy about really getting into the cards and looking for those deeper meanings that symbols and colors impart.

Thanks WalesWoman :) I'm glad you are enjoying my look into symbolism and that you are getting something out of it . I too have enjoyed doing this and will probably inflict more on you all in the other threads about this deck *lol*

Give me time ;)

HoneyBea

Teheuti

Just a bit of historical interest - here's a Golden Dawn take from a previously unpublished manuscript that I posted on my blog. There are notable similarities to the RWS picture:

"Ten of Swords: (Malkuth of Yetzirah, Ruin, Sun in Gemini) 10 = a fixed & completed force. Ashim = the Souls of Fire. These complete their work, which is to break up, disintegrate and ruin the Astral form that it may pass through the negative veils to be reborn in Kether of Assiah. Sun = very fiery energy, destructive unless it acts on very solid material & is modified. Acting on Gemini the tenuous or most Airy Air it is destructive. Compare the deadly arrows of Apollo."

Let's see: ruin of the astral form (as if with the deadly arrows of Apollo) so it can pass through veils (clouds?) to be reborn in Kether of Assiah (Ace of Pentacles).

Mary

re-pete-a

ooDunnit

A few observations,the swords were not inserted by self, but by outside influences.Six are inserted into the red portion of the garment,blood doesn't flow up hill so its a red garment,to us red is desires and passions.As swords to us means strife and troubles.Four are inserted into the upper portion of the torso,to us meaning the higher principles.Bodies of water to us mean the mind and emotions.These are smoothe waters indicating stillness of the mind and heart.Blood spilt, to us indicates commitment of purpose.Not sure of the blue.Dark skies indicate lost,dark clouds lining the edges suggests to us the edge of, or limit of a belief.The grey areas.The golden sky,indicates to us the spiritual awareness.One encroaching upon the other.As to which is rising ,in need of more insights.Perhaps someone else can add more............Overall view, Killed by others for his out of control passions mixed with unbalanced higher ideals,causeing confusion to others and clouding the truth......A Rasputin type.We think maybe tooooo much Agatha C.Oh yeah,the hand ....all is in harmony again,stillness peace......................balance!
________
VAPORIZER WHOLESALE

re-pete-a

bed of nails

After pondering the 10 and a good sleep, we've had time to regurgitate the previous post........seems to us to indicate that all ones passions and all ones ideals will be laid down on the shores of knowledge because they'll be found to have foundations of sand.The death of the Quest of knowledge after trying and being all avenues,.Once the little death is achieved peace will reign and the spirit will start its rise.SO,perhaps blue colour indicates dreams or the OTHER side,promised lands,HEAVEN????? Balance achieved by ones own actions,
________
Middle eastern recipes

re-pete-a

oh dear

the cards have a French origin, "self death" is a term used by them to describe suicide.....self inflicted......Our confession to you, is all the things we've learned from this site and you have upon reflection been superseded by later ah ha's.You may find this uncanny but we've now had an experiential clarity lain upon us concerning this card.What seems fact to ones self, is self murdered,later, in time. this card to us is the ending of SELF by the enlightened EGO.The dawn of awakening enlightenment,no more self deceptions...........I AM, NOT THAT.
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES

pink-rabbit

the 10 of swords is one card I identify strongly with. It's one that has always come up in readings for me when I'm in a very particular frame of mind.

Visually I see it as the burdened mind won/winning the battle. It's ended the natural journey of man. The figure laying face down with the swords standing erect also suggests the minds' victory over all else. - Pretty much the workings of suicide / a suicidal mind.