Devil as what you should be more like

Dartellus

The Devil as "What should I be more like."

When I make a commitment to something I should stick with it, remember the reasons I made the commitment in the first place, and remember, when I'm feeling resentful about the limitations my commitment places on me, that I chose it.

Also, when I notice that I'm not getting what I want out of a situation, I should not be afraid to cast off that chain.

Hi Ace of Stars!

Whoah, you really looked in some very interesting aspects of the card. The chains was something that i was thinking last night, that could mean more than just the archetype of the Devil. Very interesting...both aspects, of the "stick with it" and "cast off the chain".

But, maybe the "release" from the chains could be more connected with the reversal of the card or ill Dignified?

Thanks for the insight!

Dartellus

The devil in some interpretations can speak to our suppressed side.
Are there emotions and desires you are suppressing at the moment?
This does not have to mean sexual. It can be in regards to a relationship or in regards to your everyday life.
Perhaps it is in this position asking you to look inside yourself to see if you have become dominated by either certain people or certain routines. Look deep to see if things that once made you happy or certain sides of your personality aren't being nurtured or stimulated, thus laying dormant and restless.
Also, the devil card coming up in a "should be more like" position can also point to caution to this question in general. Why are you asking what you 'should be more like' in the first place? This is not meant to be harsh or even publicly answered, but the pressures of living up to certain expectations or public images is heightened these days and this can suppress organic growth and the spontaneity that makes all individual life unique. These stereotypes and pre-determinned images become an unliveable standard, and they tend to suppress individuality.
All humbly stated.
Best wishes.

Hi MsAnon!

Hahahahaha, fantastic point you raised there...about the danger of this question.
Yes, it is a question that have this "danger" that you said and that's why, at the time that i saw this card, i asked to myself: "Maybe the card is saying to not worry and leave the things flow...grow according the ways that life brings to me.".
Repression interpretation is great as well, matches a lot not only because is the Devil, but because of the question.

I got so excited about this card interpretation that i will post the rest of the reading in the reading section.

Thanks for the insights!

ThtDancerGuy

Hi!

This is a very interesting card/question combination.

Have any of you saw something like this?

What i see here: The devil speaks a lot about materialism and obsessions.

But in this question, i see it more connected to the materialism. Maybe is saying to the person to be more materialistic?

What you think?

Thanks!

Yes, The Devil can be a materialistic way of being and someone who is shallow and conceited, but remember also that The Devil is temptation and passion, although the passion is almost always a little frowned upon because it is an unorthodox or "wrong" desire; something strange, like talking about your sexual fetishes at a dinner party (which no one should be doing, unless it;s a REALLY good group of friends). Something wild like that. As a card telling you what you should be more like, it could be telling you to give into your impulses and temptations a bit, so long as they are unharming and only affect you.

Dartellus

Yes, The Devil can be a materialistic way of being and someone who is shallow and conceited, but remember also that The Devil is temptation and passion, although the passion is almost always a little frowned upon because it is an unorthodox or "wrong" desire; something strange, like talking about your sexual fetishes at a dinner party (which no one should be doing, unless it;s a REALLY good group of friends). Something wild like that. As a card telling you what you should be more like, it could be telling you to give into your impulses and temptations a bit, so long as they are unharming and only affect you.

Hi ThtDancerGuy!

Great insight, give more to impulses...this is an great way to see the devil.
Interesting this unorthodox or "wrong" desire point of view, maybe with the moon this could be even more explicit?

Thanks for the insight!

summeryjoy

There is a parable in the Bible about the prodigal son, who leaves home to pursue the life ruled by the Devil card. He then comes back to his senses, and goes home appreciating the father he once saw as an oppressive authority figure.

In the same parable, his brother never leaves home and continues do 'the right thing'. But he comes out as the bitter person in the end who hates that his brother has been forgiven despite his clear change in direction.

Sometimes in order to get past the influence of the Devil, one has to go through the phase and experience all of its pros and cons before growing out of it and consciously choosing a life with a higher vibration. If we don't experience the Devil, he continues to have a place in our hearts even if we appear good and angelic. You can't conquer an enemy you don't face.

I don't think the Devil is evil in the traditional though. Just a low vibration that may need to be experienced every now and then.

Dartellus

There is a parable in the Bible about the prodigal son, who leaves home to pursue the life ruled by the Devil card. He then comes back to his senses, and goes home appreciating the father he once saw as an oppressive authority figure.

In the same parable, his brother never leaves home and continues do 'the right thing'. But he comes out as the bitter person in the end who hates that his brother has been forgiven despite his clear change in direction.

Sometimes in order to get past the influence of the Devil, one has to go through the phase and experience all of its pros and cons before growing out of it and consciously choosing a life with a higher vibration. If we don't experience the Devil, he continues to have a place in our hearts even if we appear good and angelic. You can't conquer an enemy you don't face.

I don't think the Devil is evil in the traditional though. Just a low vibration that may need to be experienced every now and then.

Hi summeryjoy!

Interesting way of seeing the Devil here, a low vibration that everybody must be experienced. Good point here.

Thanks for the insight!

PeonyInLove

First thought... You need to be more naughty :eek:

If you're female, wear that low cut top that shows too much cleavage, invest in red lingerie, dress sexy, use your raw sexuality to pave the way for what you want. If you need to play games or manipulate, do it, as long as you're not bringing harm to anyone. Show them all that you are the one that hold the strings.

Lerena

When I see the Devil in this position, I get the vibe that you often do things for others at the expense of yourself. This isn't to say you ignore your needs but perhaps this card is saying you deserve more than you're getting.

I think maybe you need to do more for yourself. Allow yourself to buy something you want more often instead of thinking you don't have the money. It doesn't have to be expensive. Doing small favors for yourself can make you feel rewarded for doing hard work.

The Devil implies indulgence and indulging doesn't have to be bad. You can indulge in things without taking it too far. Just remember to indulge responsibly.

Dartellus

First thought... You need to be more naughty :eek:

If you're female, wear that low cut top that shows too much cleavage, invest in red lingerie, dress sexy, use your raw sexuality to pave the way for what you want. If you need to play games or manipulate, do it, as long as you're not bringing harm to anyone. Show them all that you are the one that hold the strings.

Hi PeonyInLove!

Hahhahahhaa, i laughed so hard with this.

I'm a man, but good advice. :laugh:

But you raised very good points, play more with life. ;)

Very good insight!

Thanks for the help!