Chariot as feeling

Dartellus

Hi!

Chariot is one the most interesting cards in tarot, at least for me.

There is a lot of details hidden in this card, such as the armor that protects the soft body of the charioteer and the Sphinxes that pull's the cart, meaning that this guy controls the cart with balance and the magician wand in the guy's hand, meaning that this guy as the same power of the magician (Or close...). His cart has the stars as the roof, meaning that above him only the divine, or, close to the magician, the infinity of the universe.

The card is water elemental, more connected to emotions.

For feelings, normally people tend to see it as "Being in control" of the feelings about the other person.
But here i believe that control means a much more deeper meaning...it means more "totally aware" of the feelings that the person in question has about the querent. And, about the positive and negative aspects of these feelings.

What you people think?
Any thoughts? Ideas?

I see this card as awesome one in feelings position.

thanks for the help!

summeryjoy

Yes, the Chariot is an interesting card.

I suppose in the feelings position, the two Sphinxes are the most powerful players. They are complete opposites. One is black, the other is white. One is male, the other is female. They are pulling the Chariot in different directions. In the feelings contexts, I think the card means that there may be mixed feelings or opposing inner dynamics that the Charioteer (or the person the Card represents) needs to balance and bring to work together in order to achieve what they want or make a decision about the object of their feelings.

It's a work of alchemy, where the Magician's wand comes into play.

Dartellus

I suppose in the feelings position, the two Sphinxes are the most powerful players. They are complete opposites. One is black, the other is white. One is male, the other is female. They are pulling the Chariot in different directions. In the feelings contexts, I think the card means that there may be mixed feelings or opposing inner dynamics that the Charioteer (or the person the Card represents) needs to balance and bring to work together in order to achieve what they want or make a decision about the object of their feelings.

Hi summeryjoy!

Whoah, fantastic point you made here...i never thought about the sphinxes like this. It make sense, a lot of sense. The charioteer here could be our will...but the sphinxes are the feelings...
What a great idea you brought here...i loved!

Thanks a lot for the insight!

AnemoneRosie

Yeah, I've heard this before about the sphinxes.
My main deck (Hezicos Tarot) has a single rearing stallion for this. So feeling strong, powerful, and the ability to just GO are my main take-aways.

Grizabella

I think the Chariot card can either mean being in control, or if reversed, being out of control. And they're different colors but I'd never heard that they were male and female. Did I miss something? I've never read the original booklet for the Rider Waite.

summeryjoy

Yeah, I've heard this before about the sphinxes.
My main deck (Hezicos Tarot) has a single rearing stallion for this. So feeling strong, powerful, and the ability to just GO are my main take-aways.

Well, a stallion is a wild horse which has not been castrated. They are stronger, wilder and more aggressive than regular horses. Taming the feelings is still an issue, I feel.

summeryjoy

I think the Chariot card can either mean being in control, or if reversed, being out of control. And they're different colors but I'd never heard that they were male and female. Did I miss something? I've never read the original booklet for the Rider Waite.

It's not in any booklet to be honest. But if your look closely, female breasts are clearly defined on the one on the right. The one of the left appears to have a glimpse of something there, but one cannot tell if they are breasts or a man's chest. I've always thought of it as male.

http://datadump.thelightningpath.com/images/masonic-tarot/chariot.jpg

Grizabella

I never noticed that! I'll go check out the link.

Tigerangel

I've always associated the white and black sphinx to the yin yang symbol, which has the element of masculinity and femininity also good and bad so I feel the chariot is all about our willpower and keeping things in balance, whither it be emotions, extremes of energy or the need for us to let go of the reigns and trust ourselves to make the right choices in our lives.

Sibylline

Jeez, I love the Chariot card. The keywords for me are "will" and "direction." Here's some food for thought regarding the Chariot and feelings:

--Astrological sign associated with the Chariot is Cancer. Sometimes the Chariot will pop up in terms of timing (June 22-July 22). In terms of feelings, this could represent a person who has a soft gooey core despite the "armor" of that person's outer personality.

--Generally, I read the Chariot as being driven by pure force of will despite opposing forces. He doesn't wrangle those sphinxes (or horses depending on the deck) physically, but is able to control their direction through thought and willpower. In other words, could represent someone with a sense of direction and willpower to get to his/her destination. In those cases, I tend to ask two questions: 1) what is "driving" that person and 2) what is the end goal.

--Reversed: can represent someone who "hits the breaks" and/or can be pulled to one extreme to another, losing control of the direction he/she had originally intended. If the two opposing forces are equal in strength, that person can come to a dead stop. Alternatively, can represent someone using too much force (or the wrong kind of force) to control his/her direction.