King of cups as feelings

Dartellus

Hi!

This is a very interesting card, specially for feelings.

The king of feelings...
But, i saw a lot of different interpretations about this guy as feelings.

Some talks about deep feelings of one person towards the querent.
Others say that this king is very emotional and, in some decks, that all kings are portrayed as fire, he's in constant conflict. So, in feelings reading, could mean that he's on conflict about these feelings? This last one doesn't see very real...

I honest believe that the King of cups is saying that the person as feelings towards the querent, but is kinda reticent about it...doesn't want to show it. But these feelings might be deep and he's aware of that, but he doesn't see to be shaken or repressing these feeling, he's aware of these feelings but doesn't want to express it.

Pamuya in this thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=102186
Made a wonderful statement about passion and the King of cups.

So, what you people thinks about the king of cups as feelings?

Amazing card, don't ya think?

Thanks!!

Silverbells

I like how you called him the "king of feelings." I never like to see him reversed because in a romantic reading, if he's reversed, those feelings are usually being directed elsewhere and the querent is on the outside of the feelings (although reversed could show that he's out of control of his feelings and needs relief, and consequently may lay every emotion on the line, come what may but it might be sloppy and gross and it is definitely of of character).

Upright though, he is still a little troublesome. In my experience he represents a guy who knows how he feels, and he feels very strongly but is keeping it to himself, usually in an act of self-protection which is masquerading as maturity. Still, upright, he can be okay but his high level of experience with feelings means he's been hurt a good many times as well and he's waiting for proof that the emotional investment is worth diving into...that sounds like a smart move but it can be off-putting depending on how emotional and romantic and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants you are. I don't feel like this King will really sweep you off your feet like the knight of cups will but if you're patient and forthcoming with him and you guys make a connection, he can be awesome. Personally, though, I don't know if any of the Kings is my cup of tea. They have a tendency to spread themselves too thin in one way or another; his entire kingdom (family/friends/acquaintances) all get a piece of him...

Thirteen

There's always this problem with defining Cups as "emotions." It makes it seem like the other suits don't represent emotions. But they do--Wands are passion, Swords are anxiety, Pents are sociability. What Cups should really should be defined as is "emotional" emotions. The soft or moody feelings--like when a sad commercial gets us all teary eyed, or when a sunrise has us smiling with joy. This also includes spiritual and romantic feelings.

Meanwhile, Kings are the "masters" of their suit and also the motivating force behind it. So, on the one hand, he knows how to manipulate emotions better than anyone. On the other hand, he understands emotions better than anyone, and, thus, can feel deeply for you.

So if someone gets the King/Cups for "feelings" then you know they really understand and are reverberating with feelings for you--deep, emotional feelings. But you also have to take care, as they might also be feeling like they need to manipulate or control such feelings. i.e. make you love them as they love you whether that's right for you or not. Kings always think they know what's best for the rest of us.

Dartellus

I like how you called him the "king of feelings." I never like to see him reversed because in a romantic reading, if he's reversed, those feelings are usually being directed elsewhere and the querent is on the outside of the feelings (although reversed could show that he's out of control of his feelings and needs relief, and consequently may lay every emotion on the line, come what may but it might be sloppy and gross and it is definitely of of character).

Upright though, he is still a little troublesome. In my experience he represents a guy who knows how he feels, and he feels very strongly but is keeping it to himself, usually in an act of self-protection which is masquerading as maturity. Still, upright, he can be okay but his high level of experience with feelings means he's been hurt a good many times as well and he's waiting for proof that the emotional investment is worth diving into...that sounds like a smart move but it can be off-putting depending on how emotional and romantic and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants you are. I don't feel like this King will really sweep you off your feet like the knight of cups will but if you're patient and forthcoming with him and you guys make a connection, he can be awesome. Personally, though, I don't know if any of the Kings is my cup of tea. They have a tendency to spread themselves too thin in one way or another; his entire kingdom (family/friends/acquaintances) all get a piece of him...

Hi Silverbells!

Curiously, this king of cups as feelings person is a girl. ;) But that doesn't change a thing.

Interesting, never thought about the King of cups as reversed in redirecting his feelings towards someone else.
Yes, that's how i see this king as well, someone that as some experience with past, feels deep about the other person, but keeps within because of this past.
Yeah, maybe this king just want to be sure about the prospects of these feelings.

Thanks for the great insight!

Dartellus

There's always this problem with defining Cups as "emotions." It makes it seem like the other suits don't represent emotions. But they do--Wands are passion, Swords are anxiety, Pents are sociability. What Cups should really should be defined as is "emotional" emotions. The soft or moody feelings--like when a sad commercial gets us all teary eyed, or when a sunrise has us smiling with joy. This also includes spiritual and romantic feelings.

Meanwhile, Kings are the "masters" of their suit and also the motivating force behind it. So, on the one hand, he knows how to manipulate emotions better than anyone. On the other hand, he understands emotions better than anyone, and, thus, can feel deeply for you.

So if someone gets the King/Cups for "feelings" then you know they really understand and are reverberating with feelings for you--deep, emotional feelings. But you also have to take care, as they might also be feeling like they need to manipulate or control such feelings. i.e. make you love them as they love you whether that's right for you or not. Kings always think they know what's best for the rest of us.

Hi Thriteen!

You are right, this is a confusion that normally happens, great point about the spiritual feelings, this is something that i forget a lot.

Humm, great point, they understand their feelings about the other person, feel deep, but know so much about that they can control it. Fantastic way of put this. So, they CAN control these emotions, but is an automatic control, this King as the option of doing this.

Hahahaha, this last part is the best, the Kings always think they know what's the best for the rest of us...this is great. :laugh:

Thanks a lot for the insights!