Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Which is the best and easiest Marseille deck to use?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Citizen

Yves Le Marseillais 
Citizen
Post Soap of Marseille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Actually I've done a bit of a turnaround - after using the Burdel and realising that most of my TdM's are cleaned up and re-coloured versions apart from the Thunderbay Conver which I never liked, I decided that I needed authentic looking decks.

So I ordered the Madenie and the Chosson from Amazon but they are the versions done by the Tarot of Marseilles Heritage Site, Yves Le Marseillais posts here often. You can see these decks on his site.

These decks are stunning, I can't decide whether they are lightly laminated or no laminate but they shuffle smoothly and feel good in the hand also quite thick card, square cut corners, the deck stands proud. They come in a two part sturdy box with a lift off lid. Both of the decks have the same quality and attention to detail.

It is the Madenie that is my favourite, I like the colours used and the expressions on the faces, the attention to detail is breathtaking, I didn't realise I would like it as much as I do but I'm already thinking of getting a second copy because I'm going to be using this one. It feels like such a special deck but needs to be used and enjoyed. The Chosson is probably feeling left out but it too is a special deck, it's just that the Madenie has really caught my eye.
Bonjour Emily,

Madenié, Chosson, Heri and Burdel I publish (and all their followers I will do) are not laminated at all.
They just got a spray of satin finish (other options was glossy or matte).
For me it's the best solution that is close to their initial appearense (I saw in hand all originals in their respective museums).
Bear in mind that cards was in their initial period of conception covered with a very thin application of soap paste that was smoothed with a round piece of stone.....
Strange process I agree but they had no varnish in this time to do this protective and slidding effect.

Cordialy,

Yves
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #31
Citizen

conversus 
Citizen

As Cesar pointed out :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar View Post
As a matter of fact, that deck was not a Tarot de Marseille, but a Tarot de Besançon. The edition of 1910 is available in digital format here following this link: http://brbl-dl.library.yale.edu/vufind/Record/3829868
I wonder if a reproduction of that deck has ever been published. The coloration and clarity of the line are truly attractive--not to mention Junon and Jove!

CED
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #32
Citizen

Yves Le Marseillais 
Citizen
Post To do list

Quote:
Originally Posted by conversus View Post
As Cesar pointed out :

I wonder if a reproduction of that deck has ever been published. The coloration and clarity of the line are truly attractive--not to mention Junon and Jove!

CED
Bonsoir Conversus,

This is a deck I have in my collection and it could be republished by me at a certain moment.
But more important historical decks need to be done before this one and my to do list is rahter long (one tenth of decks....).
Next year I intend to publish at least one new historical deck... or two regarding finances.

Best,

Yves
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #33
Citizen

conversus 
Citizen

Yves:

This news gives all of us a great deal to look forward to! Thanks for your commitment and generosity!!!

CED
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #34
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellehihi View Post
Here are pictures of my deck I was talking about.
Yes, this is the same one I have, but yours seems to be older and somewhat faded. Of course, it could simply be the scan or photo quality doing that.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #35
Resident

Fiver 
Resident

Ben Doav is my recommendation. I also enjoy the Jodo-Camoin deck. Doesn't get a lot of love, and I know Jodo goes a little rogue with some of his interpretations, but if you read it for you and without his influence, at face value it's a wonderful Marseilles deck
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #36
Wanderer

Emily 
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Le Marseillais View Post
Bonjour Emily,

Madenié, Chosson, Heri and Burdel I publish (and all their followers I will do) are not laminated at all.
They just got a spray of satin finish (other options was glossy or matte).
For me it's the best solution that is close to their initial appearense (I saw in hand all originals in their respective museums).
Bear in mind that cards was in their initial period of conception covered with a very thin application of soap paste that was smoothed with a round piece of stone.....
Strange process I agree but they had no varnish in this time to do this protective and slidding effect.

Cordialy,

Yves
I didn't know that about the original decks being treated with the soap paste, another thing Marseille is famous for - soap. The satin finish spray suits your decks really well, that and the excellent cardstock.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #37
Citizen

FLizarraga 
Citizen

I confess to have a weakness for the Viéville (Editions SIVILIXI).

Right now, though, I'm in love with two modern Marseille decks: Lyn Narciso's dreamy, DREAMY Marcelo Inciso, and the playful Marseille Sophistiqué, which has the most delicious linen cardstock ever.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #38
Citizen

Scarlet Woodland 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
Right now, though, I'm in love with two modern Marseille decks........ and the playful Marseille Sophistiqué, which has the most delicious linen cardstock ever.
Awwwww, no fair. Immediately looked this up and fell in love; but they'll only ship to the US

Was so perfectly what I've been looking for. Curses.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #39
Citizen

MissChiff 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
I confess to have a weakness for the Viéville (Editions SIVILIXI).

Right now, though, I'm in love with two modern Marseille decks: Lyn Narciso's dreamy, DREAMY Marcelo Inciso, and the playful Marseille Sophistiqué, which has the most delicious linen cardstock ever.
I have the Sophistique.. I love it.. Do you have the squirrel card?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #40

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.