the devil

Thirteen

I wouldn't say the ties of the Devil are freely worn. It can mean addiction and as an addictive person myself, I can vouch that I didn't freely choose that.
The image of the Devil with the "freely worn"—i.e. freely escaped from--chains was created back in the days when people thought that addiction = weak willed and that one could be freed from such if one was more morally strong :rolleyes:

We know better now, and I think deck creators should take that into account when creating the Devil card if they're going to read it as addiction. Some addictions can be freely taken on and removed. Not so others, especially the ones in our genetics.

Thirteen

How I interpret the Devil:

The Devil asks you to think about the limitations you have chosen.

Chosen marriage? It limits you.
Chosen to remain an addict? It limits you.
Chosen to work hard to make money to buy your dream house? It limits you.
Love it! Nice way to see the Devil.

roseinthewinter12

The image of the Devil with the "freely worn"—i.e. freely escaped from--chains was created back in the days when people thought that addiction = weak willed and that one could be freed from such if one was more morally strong :rolleyes:

We know better now, and I think deck creators should take that into account when creating the Devil card if they're going to read it as addiction. Some addictions can be freely taken on and removed. Not so others, especially the ones in our genetics.

I have to agree with this. When I say addiction I definitely didn't mean in the sense of alcohol. A college friend of mine is recovering from alcohol addiction and 8 years on its a daily struggle. No one chooses that.

I am pleased to know there is a lighter side to the devil. I am still struggling to figure how it fits into my life at the moment. When something appears in a tarot reading is it possible for it to be about someone around you? I am actually thinking of my sister who is going through a situation with her husband. She has found out he has carried on a 7 year affair with a woman behind her back. They have a son who will soon be 7. It seems to me that she is snot handling things well. She has lost lots of weight very quickly. She doesn't sleep and its all she thinks and talks about. In a sense since finding out about the affair she has become obsessed with him, and punishing him. Also I am pretty sure everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie. Ive sort of become her shoulder to cry on. Its been weighing heavily on me as I feel it is time to throw in the towel.

Holly doll

There was a brilliant post on the more positive side to this card - if I find it I'll post the link... The gist of it was being "bound" to something - "choosing the ties that bind"

Buying a house - paying the mortgage, having a job - obliged to show up for it etc.

Thirteen

Iin a tarot reading is it possible for it to be about someone around you? I am actually thinking of my sister
Absolutely the Devil could be someone around you. She is chained to this, won't let it go.

Now, the question is, should you also be chained to it through her? By being her shoulder, I mean. On the one hand, she's chained to her Devil, but you're kinda chained to her, and she's become a kind of devil in her obsession as well. You, however, know it. So that gives you power.

I would suggest you look into marriage councilors and find one for her. Then say the following: "I don't like seeing you like this, and what really hurts is I know how ill equipped I am to really help you. I'm worried sick about what might happen to you and your son without more help. There is this marriage councilor and for my sake, and for the sake of your son, I want you to go to one session with this woman/man. I'll stay with you through it if you want."

She may be reluctant to talk to a stranger, but if she does it once, it might make her want to keep on doing it. Which would lead to you being more free of her, and she being on the road to freeing herself.

roseinthewinter12

Absolutely the Devil could be someone around you. She is chained to this, won't let it go.

Now, the question is, should you also be chained to it through her? By being her shoulder, I mean. On the one hand, she's chained to her Devil, but you're kinda chained to her, and she's become a kind of devil in her obsession as well. You, however, know it. So that gives you power.

I would suggest you look into marriage councilors and find one for her. Then say the following: "I don't like seeing you like this, and what really hurts is I know how ill equipped I am to really help you. I'm worried sick about what might happen to you and your son without more help. There is this marriage councilor and for my sake, and for the sake of your son, I want you to go to one session with this woman/man. I'll stay with you through it if you want."

She may be reluctant to talk to a stranger, but if she does it once, it might make her want to keep on doing it. Which would lead to you being more free of her, and she being on the road to freeing herself.

Ive suggested it to her she refuses. Honestly sometimes I don't want to listen. The entire situation bleeds negativity. She is so unwillingly to let go although I think she knows she should. I've always wondered about someone else's situation showing up in my tarot reading. I was unsure because the question is usually about me.

ravenest

Wow thanks everyone. There are so many replies. I am trying to think of something in my life right now that might warrant the devil. Other than the need to be more physically active I can come up with nothing. But it is a huge relief to know my life isn't about to take a poo on me.

I've actually just thought of something I am currently on a diet I have to get bikini ready and the demotion to eat all of the wrong things is so strong. It's just a constant struggle to eat the right things. Today the temptation was bacon. Smh

Actually, bacon is more of a devil than 'The Devil' is .

If the Devil can be Pan, the God of nature ... and you are in the north and its near spring time ... and you feel active .... 1 + 1 + 1 = ......

roseinthewinter12

Actually, bacon is more of a devil than 'The Devil' is .

If the Devil can be Pan, the God of nature ... and you are in the north and its near spring time ... and you feel active .... 1 + 1 + 1 = ......

LOL bacon is the devil I have resisted. With the whole dieting thing I have no will power. I became so used to eating whatever I want and not exercising. I have very little will power and food especially unhealthy food is such a temptation.