Interpreting the Fool

Amanda

I think the answer is 'No' because you don't know all the information yet; new or unexpected information may come up.

First, you need to make sure you have all the facts. I wouldn't limit your verification of the facts to yourself or just this one person. That makes it a "me vs. you" issue that is divisive and doesn't position you very well as a new person there (especially if you are wrong). This issue should be mediated by someone at your level of hierarchy (COO, for example) but who is in charge of Production -- a third person in this situation will give you the support you need to make your case while eliciting more respect from the suspected subordinate. Get this person involved to strengthen the bridge of cooperation between Finance and Production. In times of doubt, stay cohesive! The entire section your suspect heads should be verified so that you are not erroneously singling this guy out for no good reason. If you come to find that he is guilty, the COO -his boss- should handle him, not you.

Just my take!