good astrology book?

LeBasteleur

I'd like to understand better my Thoth deck. What would you recommend as a good book on astrology, I'm not really interested into natal charts, ... I'd simply like to understand better the qualities of the planets and signs.

Thanks

rachelcat

A good book on just signs is All Around the Zodiac by Bil (with one L) Tierney.

When I was just starting out with tarot, I got alot of use out of Keywords for Astrology by Hajo Banzhaf and Anna Haebler.

And, if you're a cheapskate like me, these are on discount at discountnewagebooks.com:

Llewellyn's New A to Z Horoscope Maker & Interpreter, Retail Price $19.95, Your Cost $5.99. A good compendium with a little of everything, including all the planets in all the signs.

The General Principles of Astrology, Retail Price $80.00, Your Cost $49.99. Ghost-written by Uncle Al himself!

Abrac

For books that focus on the sign and planets, two of my favorites are Symbols of Astrology by Michael Delmar (ISBN 284323185X), and Cosmic Connections from the Time-Life series Mysteries of the Unknown (ISBN 0809463407). They both have sections that deal with natal charts and other things, but a large percentage of each book is devoted to the signs and planets, along with some fabulous images.

LeBasteleur

Thank you for your replies. I just found Symbols of Astrology for $3.

Abrac

I was browsing my friendly neighborhood bookshop yesterday when I ran across another astrology book I am adding to my list of favorites. It's Introduction to Astrology by Dawne Kovan, ISBN 1577171616. It's only 80 pages but it is virtually dedicated to the signs and planets, and it has some of the best color illustrations I have seen in an astrology book.

rainwolf

If you just want to know some astrology as it relates to tarot, then I'd just think about the main ideas behind each planet and sign (make a few keywords) and then relate them to the card. See how astrology adds to the cards meaning, their similarities and differences. Here are some quick sites:

http://www.bobmarksastrologer.com/TOClessons.htm <--simple and excellent

http://www.cafeastrology.com/ <--a little more indepth

Also, the book "Tarot Decoded" by Hazel explores this in good depth.

Teheuti

Crowley ghost-wrote Evangeline Adams' book _Astrology: Your Place Among the Stars_. There's no better place to go to discover Crowley's own intentions for the planet-in-sign designations, even though these refer to decanates, which have their own traditional significances. This material gives a lot of insight into the cards and clears up some questions about changes in keywords, etc.

Here's the background on Crowley's involvement with Adams.
http://www.redflame93.com/Adams.html

Weiser published a compilation of Crowley's astrological writings which includes some notes for the Adams books.

Mary

isthmus nekoi

There's a sticky thread in the Astrology forum that has a lot of beginner's books, sites etc.

ravenest

And a 'nasty' thread somewhere about the REAL astrology of the Thoth deck (pssst. it's based on G.D. Astrology) .... but dont go there ... nasty confusing stuff it is ... constellations and all that.