the magus & the symbols

ninahe

hi, everyone. i'm sorry if i ask something that has been asked & answered before, but i couldn't find it..... my question is: what does the golden/yellow carpet/scroll/?? in the upper right corner symbolise? none of my three books on the thoth deck explains this.....
thanks for any answer!
:) nina

Sado

According to my book, the scroll represents 'science'.

ninahe

hmmm. very interesting. so: it *is* a scroll..? so, you have the arrow on the one side, maybe representing ideas being send out - and science on the other side.....
do you have any ideas about those "things" hanging down from the front corners? i'm somewhat "hung up" on this symbol, mainly because i've found so little information about it....

Sado

The arrow represents the need for recognition.

The things hanging down from the front corners are supposed to be wings, representing flight and upward motion. There's a furious monkey there in the corner also, so maybe it could mean the ascention of consciousness, leaving behind the natural drifts.

Hope this helps! :)

ninahe

i expressed myself badly, so sorry! by "the things hanging down from the corners" i meant the things that look like tassels, hanging down from the two "corners" of the scroll. basically, i find the whole scroll - or whatever it is - confusing. thanks for your input!

Sado

I'm afraid I can't really help you with that. It's just what a scroll looks like, I guess. Maybe someone else can give some more input. :)

ravenest

Hi Ninahe.

Hermes ... Mercury? Roman .... Greek / Egyptian?

It all got muddled. One holds a caduceus and one is a messenger carrying a scroll (remember the old pics: winged feet, a flat helmit with little wings and a scroll - that the message is written on.

They are both originally seperate but similar, as time went on the boundaries became blurred.

I think the important thing is that he is a Magician and not a representation of the Gods Mercury or Hermes although he partakes of the energy of both ... and other things ... a bit of Loki (the trickster) a bit of a juggler ... a bit of this, a bit of that ,,, what ever works. That's the nature of the magician.

Abrac

DuQuette says they are a style (stylus) and papyrus. This seems the most likely to me - Thoth/Mercury being the "scribe of the Gods." While I am no authority on ancient scrolls by any means, the tassels look to me like they may be for tying the scroll when it is rolled up. The ape is the Ape of Thoth.

Scion

And call me crazy, but aren't those tassels there on the scroll reminiscent of a Mappah or Me'il, a mantle covering a rolled Pentateuch sometimes ornamented with tassels, sometimes with gaps to allow the Staves to protrude without bucking the fabric. A congregations Torah was protected and ornamented by one of these coverings.

So the scroll could be indicative of both Teheuti as Scribe and the Torah as the Holy Book.