Barret's Ancient Egyptian study group?

Niomi

Anyone for a group on Barret's Ancient Egyptian?

Lately I've been wondering about symbols in the deck. What about the head in the three of wands, the sword in the lover's card, or the golden apple in the five of swords? I've seemed to have outgrown Barret's book on his deck, he rarely explains the small and obscure things that I discover in the cards daily.

I would scan in the cards and do a small write up on them. Thinking a random draw of one major and one minor, weekly? It would be nice if I have a partner in crime that would occasionally get on my case and get me motivated, because if you don't know already I have the attention span of a gnat on acid. XD

So if you're interested, leave a note here. If it generates enough interest I might even be able to get the first two cards up by this weekend. :)

ScarabFlight

Oooo, ooooo, oooooo pick me. pick me!!! ;)

I finally got my hands on a copy of this deck and I love it!! (actually I think I love all my decks, well...maybe except for my new Palladini but I digress.....) I love the ancient egyptian symbols! And I'm trying to teach myself hieroglyphs so it's really cool to be able to actually read some of the stuff on the cards.

I would love to have a partner in crime to discuss various elements of the cards!

I also wondered about the head on the three of wands and I found it in one of my books. There is an actual sculpture of Tutankhamun's head on the lotus likening him to the sun god in accordance with the mythology of creation. (not sure if that has anything do do with the decapitated head on the Queen of Swords card?!) AND on the same page I found this little tidbit: lettuce was symbolic of fertility (the juice of the lettuce was milky white...) I was wondering what the lettuce was doing on the sun card!

I thought the King of Disks card was fun. As far as I can tell (I'm far from being an expert) his disk has the symbols for land and then desert or 'foreign land'. Then the symbol for land again, one for 'irrigated land' and then nfr, which I think means beautiful. Like I said before I'm no expert but at least it makes sense to me! :)

I want to go on and on but I'll try to be patient. I would love to hear some stuff that you've come up with! The elephant on the hierophant?! The magician card?! What the heck is on the top of the Queen of Disks septer? I know it's supposed to be a 'crystal" but what the heck?!

I'm sooo excited!! I hope to hear from everyone soon.

Niomi

Anyone else interested?

If it's just the two of us, would it be better to do it over PM?

ScarabFlight

If we discuss through PM, people in the future who may want to do a search for information on this wonderful deck wouldn't find a whole lot. There are plenty of times I found helpful information that was ages old. :)

Maybe we could just keep our discussion to one thread unless it gets really long?

Moongold

Niomi

It is a beautiful deck and I would be interested. Will do my best to commit.

Would it make more sense to all the majors first and then the minors?

Would it be worth checking to see what others have done e.g. the Tarot of Prague Cafe?

Moongold

contrascarpe

I just used this deck for the first time in one of my multiple deck readings. All I can say is that I am blown away at how beautifully these cards read. My only regret is that the size of the borders really takes away from images. This deck in a borderless design would make it one of my top two or three favorites.

That being said, I would be happy to participate in a group as time permits ..... too many study groups, too little time. However, I really would like to learn more about the Egyptian symbolism.

Dan

Niomi

ScarabFlight- I didn't notice the head of lettuce on the sun card before! *dunce* Thanks for sharing, that information is really fascinating!

Dan- I also find the white borders inhibiting. Not so much distracting, but they unnecessarily increase the size of the cards, which means there are callouses on my tiny hands from working with them. >_<

Now that I've got a few more people interested, I'll start writing up on the fool tonight or tomorrow. I can't wait to get discussion going. :)

Hope to see you there!