Mary K. Greer's Will/Fortune/Fate/Destiny Spread

Glass Owl

I found Mary K. Greer's Will/Fortune/Fate/Destiny Spread on her site at http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/the-willfortunefatedestiny-spread/

She has some valuable commentary about this spread at that link as well.

1-2-3-4

1 - What is my current Will? Voler means will, wish or volition (all come from the same root). This is your personal desire or intent and suggests deliberate, conscious choice.

2 - What is my current Fortune? Fortuna means luck in Italian, but it also suggests something stormy and tempestuous or chaotic. The Goddess Fortuna throws you around in a random and unpredictable way. This shows you what chance or happenstance has in store.

3 - What is my current Fate? Related to karma, Fato assumes that an outcome is the result or consequence of an earlier, though sometimes unknown, cause. This includes the playing out of previous actions or tendencies as they’ve become conditioning and habits. Carl Jung noted, “That which we do not confront in ourselves, we will meet as fate.”

4 - What is my current Destiny? Destino suggests destination and implies a higher, divine or ultimate goal toward which you are impelled by something greater than or outside yourself.

Flavio

Tried this spread a few months ago, at first the most interesting part was that I surprised to discover how we use those terms all the time as having the same meaning but they are not, once realized so the spread was quite helpful.

Astraea Aurora

I agree, Flavio. Both "fortune" and "fate" as well as "destiny" are translated into German with the one and only word "Schicksal" although these are really different words with different meanings in English. It's so hard to tell the different or worse, explain it to someone else!

I think Mary K. Greer did a good job splitting up the different connotations and make them part of a spread. I used it last year and found it to be very valuable. :D

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Scarlet27

I would've never thought of that, how original!

This goes straight into my spread collection :)