Three of swords. What the actual heck?

WhyWuh

I get this card in various readings around other positive cards to various questions about X feelings/relationships with me in the future. Could it mean that they will be hurting they can't be with me? (Like longing) or maybe their feelings will be killing them inside and they will desire to express their emotions but hold back and it will be hurting them to the core? Or maybe they will be disappointed in themselves that they're attracted to me? Or maybe they will try tondeny their feelings for me and it will make them hurt? Or maybe....? I'm utterly lost right now. Can someone help?

Laurelle

Swords are equated to words, so be careful how you use them.

Are you looking at the RWS? Are there three swords going through a heart? Someone is going to get hurt.

3 of Swords: heartbreak, using words as weapons, breaking up with someone.

All 3's in a spread can also represent love triangles. Someone says to you, "I don't love you." Perhaps it isn't about them longing for you, but you longing for them. Could be seen both ways.

WhyWuh

Swords are equated to words, so be careful how you use them.

Are you looking at the RWS? Are there three swords going through a heart? Someone is going to get hurt.

3 of Swords: heartbreak, using words as weapons, breaking up with someone.

All 3's in a spread can also represent love triangles. Someone says to you, "I don't love you." Perhaps it isn't about them longing for you, but you longing for them. Could be seen both ways.
No. It's Thoth deck. No heart. Three swords going through a flower that is throwing petals down. Like wilting in pain. It comes up when I ask what HIS feelings will be for me, what relationships he will want with me (all questions are focusing on him)...

gregory

The title of the card is sorrow. But in the Thoth deck, this is not about individual sorrow - it is universal sorrow. The destruction of completeness.

From Crowley:
The idea of division, of mutability, the idea of the airy quality of things, manifests itself in the Three of Swords, the Lord of Sorrow. Here one is reminded of the darkness of Binah, of the mourning of Isis; but this is not any vulgar sorrow dependent upon any individual disappointment or discontent. It is Weltschmerz, the universal sorrow; it is the quality of melancholy.

SORROW THREE OF SWORDS
Binah, the Great Mother, here rules the realm of Air. This fact involves an extremely difficult doctrine which must be studied at length in The Vision and the Voice: Aethyr 14.

Binah is here not the beneficent Mother completing the Trinity with Kether and Chokmah. She represents the darkness of the Great Sea.

This is accentuated by the Celestial Lordship of Saturn in Libra.

This card is dark and heavy; it is, so to speak, the womb of Chaos. There is an intense lurking passion to create, but its children are monsters. This may mean the supreme transcendence of the natural order. Secrecy is here, and Perversion.
The symbol represents the great Sword of the Magician, point uppermost; it cuts the junction of two short curved swords. The impact has destroyed the rose. In the background, storm broods under implacable night.

If you are going to use the Thoth deck, you really can't just bolt RWS meanings on to it.

Laurelle

No. It's Thoth deck. No heart. Three swords going through a flower that is throwing petals down. Like wilting in pain. It comes up when I ask what HIS feelings will be for me, what relationships he will want with me (all questions are focusing on him)... There are cards like, let's say, (random example) prince (knight) of cups, three of swords and ten of cups. Other question and again: sun, four of disks, three of swords. One more: seven of cups, three of swords, two of cups. Like good cards and then three of swords. Good again and this three again. Ugh :( it confuses me.

Mention the deck before posting anything because that can help other's interpret them correctly. :)

You seem to be asking similar questions about the same person, am I correct? And you always, no matter what, get the 3 of Swords? The 3 of Swords is the message. Like Gregory said it's about universal sorrow and like i mentioned with this card it can go either way. Tarot is read individually with placements and then it is looked at carefully as an over all story, so just because you have the placement of "his feelings" doesn't mean that your feelings won't be affected because we are all connected. How does his feelings come out? Through your actions, through your feelings for him and vice versus.

Like Gregory quoted about the sorrow of the 3 of Swords and Isis.....Isis was devastated by the death of Osiris and went mad with insanity, hunting up and down the Nile for him. She lost her beauty and died a "thousand" deaths of sorrow until she found him....Her madness recreated her into a funerary goddess....Without sorrow, we really don't understand true joy. Her journey was one of immense proportions. As Jean Houston writes about Isis, "In order to find herself, she must lose herself."

Anyway, I don't play with Thoth decks, so I can't help much further.

WhyWuh

Mention the deck before posting anything because that can help other's interpret them correctly. :)

You seem to be asking similar questions about the same person, am I correct? And you always, no matter what, get the 3 of Swords? The 3 of Swords is the message. Like Gregory said it's about universal sorrow and like i mentioned with this card it can go either way. Tarot is read individually with placements and then it is looked at carefully as an over all story, so just because you have the placement of "his feelings" doesn't mean that your feelings won't be affected because we are all connected. How does his feelings come out? Through your actions, through your feelings for him and vice versus.

Like Gregory quoted about the sorrow of the 3 of Swords and Isis.....Isis was devastated by the death of Osiris and went mad with insanity, hunting up and down the Nile for him. She lost her beauty and died a "thousand" deaths of sorrow until she found him....Her madness recreated her into a funerary goddess....Without sorrow, we really don't understand true joy. Her journey was one of immense proportions. As Jean Houston writes about Isis, "In order to find herself, she must lose herself."

Anyway, I don't play with Thoth decks, so I can't help much further.
Thank you so much. And Gregory too! Now I understand that his feelings for me will be constant melancholy and deep rooted pain. Universal pain that covers all aspects of someone's life. The pain that consumes. Drenches you to your bones. Haunts you and wakes you up at night. As I believe Isis wasn't simply upset about Osiris. She was in enormous anguish. And she couldn't be like 'oh yeah it's upsetting but maybe throwing a party might help and distract me'. All she could feel was pain. If I remember it right (I'm not sure if I don't mistake something) she even went to underworld looking for him even if she knew that once you visit underworld you can't return. A.k.a. one way trip. But she was ready for everything to meet Osiris.

Thirteen

If I remember it right (I'm not sure if I don't mistake something) she even went to underworld looking for him even if she knew that once you visit underworld you can't return. A.k.a. one way trip. But she was ready for everything to meet Osiris.
Actually, no. I believe you're thinking of some other myth.

What Isis did in her myth was search and pick up the pieces. Literally, so that she and Osiris could be together one last time BEFORE he went to the land of the dead (no "underworld" in Egyptian mythology. Just "the land of the dead" which is a kind of heaven). Osiris was hacked to pieces, you see, and those pieces scattered everywhere. She picked them up and put him back together. If she got him all together, she could "breathe life into him" (resurrect him) for that one last time together. One particular piece, however, was gone for good, meaning "no resurrection." So she made a golden one in place of it, breathed life into him, and they were together for a final time. With that golden, er, replacement, they had sex and she became pregnant with Horus. Osiris went on to rule the land of the dead.

So this sorrow, both in the story and in the 3/Swords, is not some kind of eternal misery. Though it hurts terribly at the time, and thinking on it may always make you sad, something that happened before or after that sorrow hit you can soften it (the conception of Horus in Isis' case). And give you some measure of renewed happiness.

WhyWuh

Actually, no. I believe you're thinking of some other myth.

What Isis did in her myth was search and pick up the pieces. Literally, so that she and Osiris could be together one last time BEFORE he went to the land of the dead (no "underworld" in Egyptian mythology. Just "the land of the dead" which is a kind of heaven). Osiris was hacked to pieces, you see, and those pieces scattered everywhere. She picked them up and put him back together. If she got him all together, she could "breathe life into him" (resurrect him) for that one last time together. One particular piece, however, was gone for good, meaning "no resurrection." So she made a golden one in place of it, breathed life into him, and they were together for a final time. With that golden, er, replacement, they had sex and she became pregnant with Horus. Osiris went on to rule the land of the dead.

So this sorrow, both in the story and in the 3/Swords, is not some kind of eternal misery. Though it hurts terribly at the time, and thinking on it may always make you sad, something that happened before or after that sorrow hit you can soften it (the conception of Horus in Isis' case). And give you some measure of renewed happiness.
Ohh! I mistook. I had in mind Orpheus and Eurydice. Orpheus went to underworld to get his wife back. I'm glad it's not that bad as I imagined. Yes it's bad enough but there's hope. I hope I will be able to make him not that sad (although I don't have any idea how as for now).

Thirteen

I hope I will be able to make him not that sad (although I don't have any idea how as for now).
Why do you think the 3/Swords applies to how you are making him feel? It could be that he had some bad experience in the past, and all the 3/Swords means is that he's worried about being hurt again. Maybe you're not making him feel this way at all. Its simply a kind of "PTSD."

WhyWuh

Why do you think the 3/Swords applies to how you are making him feel? It could be that he had some bad experience in the past, and all the 3/Swords means is that he's worried about being hurt again. Maybe you're not making him feel this way at all. Its simply a kind of "PTSD."

Knowing his past it's very likely that I trigger some past hurts and past pains in him and that he is afraid that the pattern could repeat itself.