Three of swords. What the actual heck?

WhyWuh

When someone asks me "could" a card mean something, by answer is always yes. Tarot is very intuition based and if in a reading you FELT a certain card means something (even if it never meant that before for you) then that is what it means. It's a lot about tuning into that. I would never say that a card could not mean something. Its about tuning in to that.

I find when you feel something to go with your first reaction/impulse/feeling/instinct. If you think about it, it messes things up. Thought turns off intuition. There is no way to logically know or decide which if 2 or more meanings is the right one. You have to trust what you felt. Sounds like you're in your mind trying to think out logically which alternative is right. Can't be done. You have to stop thinking and feel which feels right.

But that said...

I don't know it this will help, but all I can do is tell you what it means to me in the way I read. The cards have different nuances and ways to talking for each reader.

The 3 of Swords (for me in the way I read) talks about having kind, nurturing protective thoughts about someone. Thinking of them in this way, thinking of what you can do to help them in these ways. It could even potentially talk about being protective of your own thoughts, maybe not willing to let anyone challenge them or an unwillingness to consider any other viewpoints. That is what the card is for me personally. Of course the image will have a lot to say too for me in the message.

Babs

Thank you so much. I love your insights. I know that you read cards very differently (and you told me this more than once) but your viewpoint is always like a fresh air. It could be that this person will try to protect themselves from me and that it could be that i will be hurting too. There is signs that this person had bad past and it just needs to be healed.

SunChariot

Thank you so much. I love your insights. I know that you read cards very differently (and you told me this more than once) but your viewpoint is always like a fresh air. It could be that this person will try to protect themselves from me and that it could be that i will be hurting too. There is signs that this person had bad past and it just needs to be healed.

It's not an uncommon thing unfortunately. As we pass through different relationships often there is some hurt involved. Some are more painful than others, but it seems like everyone has some pain on them from relationships and fear of being hurt again (sigh). People don't break up because things are going well, after all. It takes work to get past all that. Been there, done that myself.

Babs

csmith0406

WhyWuh - Regarding asking the same questions over and over again, using Tarot maybe a bit obsessively - I suffer from anxiety and PTSD sometimes and one of the things that helps is tarot. Sure, exercise and walking the dogs might be healthier, crochet might be more practical, but sometimes those things don't do it.

So I will do a reading about whatever I am anxious about. The thing is, sometimes I don't really know what I am anxious about or what my fear is. I think I know, but my mind is playing tricks on me. That is why my normal coping methods don't work. So I might do multiple readings over a period of hours or days, until I finally figure out what is really bothering me, the thing that is really triggering me.

So in other words, I'm asking the wrong question in my readings, and I keep doing the readings until I ask the right question. Once I identify the real problem and start facing it, I stop doing repetitive readings.

The answers/cards I get when I am asking the wrong question help point me to the right question, the question I really want to ask and need answered.

I hope that makes sense, and you find it helpful. Good luck to you.

WhyWuh

WhyWuh - Regarding asking the same questions over and over again, using Tarot maybe a bit obsessively - I suffer from anxiety and PTSD sometimes and one of the things that helps is tarot. Sure, exercise and walking the dogs might be healthier, crochet might be more practical, but sometimes those things don't do it.

So I will do a reading about whatever I am anxious about. The thing is, sometimes I don't really know what I am anxious about or what my fear is. I think I know, but my mind is playing tricks on me. That is why my normal coping methods don't work. So I might do multiple readings over a period of hours or days, until I finally figure out what is really bothering me, the thing that is really triggering me.

So in other words, I'm asking the wrong question in my readings, and I keep doing the readings until I ask the right question. Once I identify the real problem and start facing it, I stop doing repetitive readings.

The answers/cards I get when I am asking the wrong question help point me to the right question, the question I really want to ask and need answered.

I hope that makes sense, and you find it helpful. Good luck to you.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I suffer from bipolar 2 type disorder and sometimes it gets tough as I'm on no medication as i don't want it. It gets hard and sometimes tarot is the only way for me to not to get insane. It was very helpful to find out that there's nothing wrong of doing what I do and that I'm not the only one.

Ace

One thing about looking toward the future is that it will look bleak until you get there and make it better. So small irritations (as I see the 3 of swords) that COULD happen will be eased or erased when the time gets closer. So, my opinion: don't worry so much about what COULD go wrong.

Barb

Maru

I love your reply! What you said was on my mind since a very long time (except that you phrased it very nicely!), but almost no one will say these things here. I know that other ATers are trying to help by giving their feedback and that obsessive readings about a topic can be ''harmful'', but it is so true that these type of reading can also help!

I have been there too (and I am still a bit there too). 2-3 years ago, I did fall for someone very badly! But this man was taken, despite a palpable mutual attraction on both sides. I did SO MANY tarot readings about it! I am very honest here, but I always felt that the cards were gentle with me and that my pain was understood. I can't count the number of readings I did, and the cards always made sens (except on very rare occasions). Yes, this process helped me to gain some understanding about the situation, to make peace with it and to acknowledge what was going on on both sides.

I also had a very life transforming but short romance a year ago. As you said, instead of contacting this man numerous time, I turned into Tarot to answer my questions, explore my feelings (why do I truly like him?) and because tarot CAN give you some answers when someone shut the door on you without any explanations.

So for other ATers, please if it happens (you being obsessive over some questions), I think that you should first acknowledge it and make the necessary changes to achieve a balanced life, but don't be harsh on yourself! I am pretty sure that to some extent, it happened to about 90% of Tarot readers at some point :)

This is my experience with it as well, and it sounds like you and Intotouch have a good practice in general with managing objectivity. I think this is the struggle most of us have in terms of becoming better readers--is not to become too attached to one version of the truth. The cards can be fairly gentle when you're in the thick of it and it knows you're working on it, but they're also quick to let you know you're not playing fair with truth--that is--reading over and over just to get a desired (or even different) result. There's nothing wrong with doing several readings to figure this stuff through this. In fact, this is where I think we link some of the manifestations of personal life with the context of basic meanings of cards (as it relates to our life). It's more of a self-improvement tool in those cases as you're just fixating on getting yourself through something and likely working through inner roadblocks at the same time... which are a good use case for the cards.

The issue is when you're doing readings over and over and not listening to what they're saying... hence why I put it down to a "listening" issue, not a repetition issue. The cards for me have always reflected what is going on within, no matter the reading subject, as I tend to use them "diagnostically" to confirm a gut check. As such, my cards typically encourage me to focus within as I tend to "open" up more and see clearer in that respect... so if the goal is to put the situation in the light to see it better... then /really/ that person needs to learn to key into these warnings as the cards will help you to better link your gut with the communicative/representational elements of energies, and put the situation further into the light, rather than just simply "this guy does not like you"; the end... so it can go quite deep and this is where I think the real "juice" can be found my own readings as it is more likely to bear fruit.

As to the other posts here, I'm not familiar with any sort of stigma at AT as I don't pay that much attention to other people's practices in terms of quantity. My registration date being what it is, I've been mainly lurking a long while. I'd just like to add I think it is good practice on a public forum not to recommend obsessive usage, if for anything... because we don't know someone's overall practices/reading level and whether they may be nursing some other issue behind that. It is not doing any favors for building a solid connection to your gut in readings to have to revalidate your gut and it tends to produce muddier readings anyway when a situation is over-read. I personally caution over-reading as it can have bad effect on the third eye. Especially if the person is actively focusing on it trying to open up, if pushed too much can cause illusionary thinking, weird "colorful" readings where aspects of the truth or of "things" are not necessarily clear, other mood issues, etc... Anyway, reading in this state is like living an altered state. Is not often beneficial to getting through blocks. It feels correct but really out of place which, ironically, leads that person to keep reading even more trying to sort out that "lost" feeling in the wind. As already mentioned by others, balance is key as much as maintaining objectivity. Sometimes it's just best to give your mind a break, as sometimes this weird feedback is just a matter of being drained. Always give yourself ample time for your energies time to "reset" and also your inner awareness some time to sort through all that is there and to eliminate the excess, keep the necessary... then the road will become clearer... whereas the latter will just create more blocks and other issues that will need to be addressed... and will not help you with your general reading practices.

Intotouch

"Thank you. I really appreciate your wise words. The only reason why I do these readings is that this person is my twin flame and I'm more enlightened. I know one thing. This person and I are meant to be but not as lovers. Our purpose is higher. At the same time I just KNOW that if this person came up to me with his arms and heart wide open like 'I love you. Let's be together' I would reject him. I need him. I want him. But at the same time I KNOW that I can't be with him because I need to fix my sh*t first. I need to love myself. I don't want him as a romantic partner. I don't want to have sex with him or something. This need I feel for this person comes from my very core. It comes from my soul. But at the same time I get another feeling. Like I need to fix myself. But tarot gives me 'proof' that this person at least misses me/wants to be with me just as much as I want. That he feels our bond. Our connection. But at the same time it's my nature to re-ask all the stuff ten times just to be sure because I don't trust anyone. I have trust issues, I have issues with self love I have issues... You name it and I'd probably have it. I'm in the dark place right now. And the only way to go up is for me. Alone. This is my lesson. To be comfortable with myself but right now I am not. I actually need to deal with my own stuff. I am not judging myself. That's just plain truth. But at the same time tarot helps me to cope. I need answers. And when I don't know where to turn anymore I turn to tarot. But it's difficult place to be. I want to be with him. But I can't. The only thing that I have is tarot that tells me about his feelings. And it's painful. Very painful. My way up is painful. I'm into church right now and it helps me sometimes. I pray a lot. I do tarot a lot. I just try to heal."

Dear Why Wuh,
You're very welcome.
I felt very moved when I read this. You are not alone. Do remember this. You have people here replying to you and you have some connections with people. All this counts. It's almost impossible to believe when you're in a dark period in your life that you could feel happy and carefree again, it's like trying to remember what a hot Summer day feels like when it's still January, but it will come again. And there will be other men and people in general who you will have a strong connection with. This is what my instincts are saying now for you. I get the sense that you have the impetus to reach out to others and this will bring rewards. And yes, you can always turn to tarot. And give yourself permission to. You'll know I'm sure if this stops being helpful.
"I tend to use them "diagnostically" to confirm a gut check." Energy pipes I love how you phrased this. You perfectly, succinctly described one way how I feel that tarot works. Thank you.

crystalrose

This is my experience with it as well, and it sounds like you and Intotouch have a good practice in general with managing objectivity. I think this is the struggle most of us have in terms of becoming better readers--is not to become too attached to one version of the truth. The cards can be fairly gentle when you're in the thick of it and it knows you're working on it, but they're also quick to let you know you're not playing fair with truth--that is--reading over and over just to get a desired (or even different) result. There's nothing wrong with doing several readings to figure this stuff through this. In fact, this is where I think we link some of the manifestations of personal life with the context of basic meanings of cards (as it relates to our life). It's more of a self-improvement tool in those cases as you're just fixating on getting yourself through something and likely working through inner roadblocks at the same time... which are a good use case for the cards.

The issue is when you're doing readings over and over and not listening to what they're saying... hence why I put it down to a "listening" issue, not a repetition issue. The cards for me have always reflected what is going on within, no matter the reading subject, as I tend to use them "diagnostically" to confirm a gut check. As such, my cards typically encourage me to focus within as I tend to "open" up more and see clearer in that respect... so if the goal is to put the situation in the light to see it better... then /really/ that person needs to learn to key into these warnings as the cards will help you to better link your gut with the communicative/representational elements of energies, and put the situation further into the light, rather than just simply "this guy does not like you"; the end... so it can go quite deep and this is where I think the real "juice" can be found my own readings as it is more likely to bear fruit.

As to the other posts here, I'm not familiar with any sort of stigma at AT as I don't pay that much attention to other people's practices in terms of quantity. My registration date being what it is, I've been mainly lurking a long while. I'd just like to add I think it is good practice on a public forum not to recommend obsessive usage, if for anything... because we don't know someone's overall practices/reading level and whether they may be nursing some other issue behind that. It is not doing any favors for building a solid connection to your gut in readings to have to revalidate your gut and it tends to produce muddier readings anyway when a situation is over-read. I personally caution over-reading as it can have bad effect on the third eye. Especially if the person is actively focusing on it trying to open up, if pushed too much can cause illusionary thinking, weird "colorful" readings where aspects of the truth or of "things" are not necessarily clear, other mood issues, etc... Anyway, reading in this state is like living an altered state. Is not often beneficial to getting through blocks. It feels correct but really out of place which, ironically, leads that person to keep reading even more trying to sort out that "lost" feeling in the wind. As already mentioned by others, balance is key as much as maintaining objectivity. Sometimes it's just best to give your mind a break, as sometimes this weird feedback is just a matter of being drained. Always give yourself ample time for your energies time to "reset" and also your inner awareness some time to sort through all that is there and to eliminate the excess, keep the necessary... then the road will become clearer... whereas the latter will just create more blocks and other issues that will need to be addressed... and will not help you with your general reading practices.

Excellent post! I especially like your idea about using the cards to tune into your own gut feelings on things, rather than doing readings to repetitively see what you want to see.

I've also experienced the issue you noted about over-reading, where the cards start saying things that "feel correct" but really aren't and then it adds a layer of extreme confusion to the situation. Then your gut or third eye or whatever you want to call it gets even more muddled because you're unsure of what to listen to. Taking a break from the cards does help. But often by the time someone is over-reading, it's an addictive state that's hard to get away from.