The star card

koolchick

Has any one noticed the little bird on top of the tree on the right in the star card. Any ideas why its there and what it means.

Apollonia

Here's a quote from "Spiritual Tarot" by Signe Echols et al:
"An Ibis, sacred to both Hermes, protector of heroes, and Thoth, Egyptian god of wisdom, perches on a nearby tree, which traditional interpretations of this card associate with the brain and nervous system. The tree and the bird represent the ability to focus or concentrate in order to receive higher wisdom."

I'm sure there will be others who have more detailed information on this, but I hope this will help for a start...

poivre

I have no idea where I read this from. If it was from AT or a
book of mine. Don't know if this is the correct answer but...

the bird on the Star card represents the bird or dove that
Noah had sent out after the flood. As the dove returned
with a branch that was God's sign that the flood was
over.

The Star card for me is a "blessing" also "a peaceful heart"

Trust in God's word or have some kind of faith in your
dreams...follow your own star for it shines only for you...
after turmoil (16 The Tower) if you follow your faith,
peace will come...it's a "promise" just as in the story of
Noah and the Arc! :)

Rainbow Aurora

Fulgour said:
At Koptos in Egypt, the Bennu bird is depicted
with two human arms stretched upwards and
outwards toward the star Sothis- Sirius , which
appears in the early sky before the sun rises.

The Phoenix/Bennu bird is said to arise
"at dawn from the waters of the Nile".

Linked with summer, the Bennu was also associated
with the inundation of the Nile and of the creation.

Standing alone on isolated rocks of islands
of high ground during the floods the heron
represented the first life to appear on the
primeval mound which rose from the watery
chaos at the first creation.

This mound was called the ben-ben.
The Bennu Bird :) in the Persea Tree? I think maybe "Yes!"

Dulcimer

The bird is an ibis; sacred to Thoth whose form he takes when weighing the soul of the dead. Thoth in this form protects the dead from its enemies whilst in the underworld. The ibis is a symbol of Truth and the heart.
The tree is the sycamore, the Egyptian Tree of Life, from whose branches the mother goddess dispenses nourishment from her vases: http://www.kinfonet.org/community/centres/sycamore/Tree.html

It is the mother goddess Isis who is associated with the innundation of the Nile whose star, Sirius, rose above the horizon preceding said innundation (circa 3300 BC).
This is not a card of creation but of hope, promise, and protection whilst the soul journeys throught the Night. ;)

job

a) It's summer and the bird is perching in the tree for the night*.

b) It's winter and the bird is perching in an evergreen tree*.

*At that 'special' time.

Personally I think its summer.
:)

Patrick Williams

Birds, of all kinds, are messengers in dreams. And I've always associated the Star with the dream of success, happiness and plenty. So, also, a peaceful heart, blessings, and divine guidance.

In the story of Noah (and as already mentioned), the dove brings the message that the flood is over. Thoth's ibis provides "hope, promise, and protection whilst the soul journeys through the long night" of the Moon.

What I see in the Star are the seeds of manifestation which come to fruition (for good or ill) in the Sun and to release in the World. The bird (ibis or otherwise) in the tree is the divine messenger, but what message does it bring? In the New Testament Book of Matthew we are told that if we can visualize receiving something while we pray for it, then God cannot refuse it. The prayer must be granted. You can find the same concept promulgated elsewhere in just about any holy book you read.

I think that's the message the bird brings. If you see yourself receiving it before you ask for it, then you have energetically created it already. Then the questions become: "Are you listening to the messenger?" and "What, exactly, are you manifesting?"

BodhiSeed

Like the cock that crows to announce the morning, the ibis was a bird that announced the flooding of the Nile. As a bird of omen, I think it (in the Star card) is announcing a time of peace, hope and possible success.

Bodhran

Liz C

I read somewhere that in Japan, the crane is symbolic of the human soul, it is regarded as a bird of love and happiness. (can't verify this, just something I read).

Someone also wrote (on another list) that in the Robin Wood deck, the bird is just landing in the tree, to show that a wonderful thought is just entering the mind. This would definitely fit in with the theme of insight, clarity and illumination.

I always think of the bird as a dove, and a symbol of hope and renewal.