help with oracle of the dragonfae

Linfang

Well, thanks. Maybe I just give it a try. In case It turns out to be the 2nd I can still return it to Amazon.

Celtictarot

That is the 1st edition in the picture. You'll know by the pentacle on the back of the cards. The 2nd edition has a lot of beige in the deck.

From the bumph on the page:

"This stunning deck features imagery from an array of talented artists, including Ravynne Phelan, Selina Fenech, Jimmy Manton, and Toni Carmine Salerno."

Jimmy Manton is defo 2nd edition. But as you said, you would send it back if 2nd edition.

cpriestess

Ordering from Amazon

I ordered from Amazon. They had the 1st edition pictures and publishing date. When I got the decks (ordered two hoping it was the 1st edition), they were, unfortunately, the new 2nd edition decks. I did not even bother to look through or open them. Still in shrink wrap and original boxes, sent them straight back to Amazon 30 minutes after opening my parcel. I told Amazon they need to change to cover art of their listings on this deck. There are multiple listings on Amazon, some with the 2nd edition photo and some with the 1st edition photo. I just got a 1st edition off Ebay, but had to email a ton of sellers on Amazon Marketplace and Ebay to make sure the ones pictured in the sale listing were the 1st edition with the Blue, Gothic faery. Some definitely only had the new, 2nd edition, so my advice is, even if it takes a few days or a week to hear back, it saves on the shipping back and waiting for the refund if you want to send the decks back. I did take a chance with Amazon, because they are a big company, and I know it will be not very much hassle. I just printed out a new label, postage paid by them, told them the wrong items were sent and different than the listing, and dropped the package off to UPS and already have my refund. But my best advice is to shop around and make sure you get the right edition before you place your order for it if you are set on the 1st edition.

Celtictarot

I got mine from Lucy direct - http://www.lucycavendish.com , I know it took me about 4 times to get the right edition and I did Email a company off Abebooks and it was the wrong version still.

cpriestess

New Revised Oracle of the Dragonfae

I got a 1st edition on ebay, and it was not too over the top expensive. It is used, but still in good shape. I was wanting a newer copy, and I found an online Australian New Age store that said they could get me a 1st edition at a very low price. Well, the deck came, and it was the new version :-( I contacted the company, and they said, unfortunately, their supplier had not updated their information that the 1st edition was out of stock. They gave me a full refund, and because they had promised me the 1st edition, said I could keep the deck so....I opened it and compared it to my used 1st edition. Wow! The artwork seems smaller with the cream borders. I almost thought the deck, itself, was smaller than the 1st edition, but they are the same size. The cream borders are actually taken from the design of the 1st edition box -- it is the cream swirls around the box borders that surrounds the purple inside color. I really dig the 1st edition box! Love that purple!! I feel the cream borders of the revised edition really mute the colors in the artwork and make the pictures look smaller. The 1st edition cards really pop because the borders are multi-colored and each card has a matching swirly border that brings out the color in the artwork of the cards. The artwork in the 1st edition also has a misty feeling and softens into the borders of the cards. The newer version does not have that and the artwork is quite clear, with no misty, otherworldly feeling. Also, the text is smaller in the newer version. It is also hard to read the numbers at the top of the cards. I am strongly thinking the new Dragonfae deck is a candidate for trimming to open up the artwork and the cards. The numbers are so small and hard to see, they are not really useful and it really is not a big deal to cut them away.
The deck is alright, and maybe I would like it more if I had not ever seen and owned the original edition first. The newer version kind of reminds me of the Messenger Oracle, which has uniform green borders, but I do like the Messenger Oracle much better than the new Dragonfae, and the pictures of the Messenger Oracle do seem more vibrant and blend better with the green uniform borders. I would say, if you like the artwork of Jimmy Manton, you may well prefer this deck over the 1st edition. It would have probably been a better deck if the publishers would have left it borderless, which is why I think this a good deck for trimming. I do not think the 1st edition is good for trimming due to the way the borders really blend and melt into the artwork, and the borders really help the artwork pop and make the cards look like the characters are coming out of them.

I do believe trimming could really help the newer version be a better deck, and I do love the 1st edition hands down over the newer version.

Serenia

I'm kinda late in realising that I actually want this deck. I much prefer the 1st edition, though, so I went through the whole effort of writing to just about everyone and asking whether or not they still have 1st edition decks. I kept the australian shops (Lucy Cavendish and Fairies and Fantasy) at the back of my mind as an emergency solution because I still hoped to find a deck from a European seller, so that I don't have to pay 40-50 Euros for it. And - I actually found one! :party:
PsychicBazaar happened to have one last deck - the one they opened a while ago in order to scan the cards for their website. Fortunately, they sold it to me! :D

But what I just wanted to tell you is that I received a reply from Fairies and Fantasy, saying that they only have 4 (!) copies of the 1st edition left and after this they'll restock the new version! So if anyone still wants the 1st edition, it's probably a good idea to get it NOW.

I also wrote to Lucy Cavendish and haven't received any reply from her. Probably because of technical reasons - I'm not 100% sure the website even sent her my message. So I have no idea if she has some decks left, but it looks like they're really selling out now.