Soul Radiance Tarot - again! :)

Astraea

Spunch, I just love these cards. The Magician is glorious, and the Wheel of Fortune is eloquent as can be. You manage to convey so much truth and insight through your choice of symbols -- they are so pertinent, so relevant, that clutter is avoided and the symbols are allowed to speak for themselves, resonating with their counterparts within the viewer. This is really inspired work.

Owlface

new cards

Spunch, I liked your first cards very much. . .and I like these even more ! They are so luminous and. . . interesting. I really love the High Priestess-the oceanic blue, the book of wisdom, the way moon energies and sun energies are in equilibrium and expressed by flowers. I am excited about Soul Radiance. I wish you all the best as you continue. :)

love

rosyelf

spunch

Astra said:
More comments - I've been backtracking the thread, since I haven't been around for a while. I love both the Empress and the Emperor as individual pieces, but I had trouble thinking of them as a pair in a deck, simply because they are so very, very different in style.

I'm assuming the contrast was intentional, but I'd looked at the Empress first and was holding my breath to see how you'd put the Emperor into the same type of scenario, and --- whiplash is a good description of my reaction to the Emperor. I could get used to it, probably very easily, but my initial reaction was "huh? what?"

Hi there and thank you very much for your comment and observations. I think your inital reaction ("huh?", "what?" :)) was a good one. The only obvious pair (in style) I wanted to make were The Sun and The Moon. The Emperor had to be diferent. It had to be everything that The Empress is not. And that meant the change in style of art as well. To be honest, maybe, somewhere deep in my subconsciousness, I wanted to present those two cards the way I see my parents, and when I think of them, the cards that I make just show that difference. When I was thinking of the Emperor, I had in mind certain symbols that will help me to stress that difference (quotes from my journal on the cards):

CHESS (PIECES) - rules, strategy. Symbol of battle of two opposing parties. In INDIA - regarded as a symbol of cosmic reason and order. Indian chess represents the Indian ideal of government, the preservation of norms and the caste society. CHINESE chess divides space into hierarchies; it is non-dynamic, the wordl is conceived of as a closed universe; the player, the ruler who organizes the wordl, lies in the center Time and space dynamic.
TOWER - symbol of power, also a phallus symbol. In early Christian times a tower often symbolized the entire 'holy city'.
HORSE - a symbol of strength harnessed by reason. MASCULINE. Joy, victory, strength, sexuality.
SQUARE - static, non-dynamic symbol, often used as a foundation of temples, altars, cities. JUNG - symbol of matter, of the flesh and of earthly reality.
CROWN - ennobles the person who wears it. High position, power.
STONE - despite their hardness, though, stones are not often seen as something rigid and dead, but rather as life-giving. Many stones, especially meteorites, were thought to grant fertility and to bring rain; for example, they were touched by infertile women who wished to be blessed with children.
FRAME - boundaries, set of rules one must not break / cross

Probably there is more to the symbolism, but, of the top of my head, that's that.

I wanted a person who is interested in my card to ponder over them and to think about the difference made between the Empress and the Emperor. I think I am not going to change the card since I now like it very much.

And also, It's a good thing you said you could get used to it! :)

spunch

Astraea said:
Spunch, I just love these cards. The Magician is glorious, and the Wheel of Fortune is eloquent as can be. You manage to convey so much truth and insight through your choice of symbols -- they are so pertinent, so relevant, that clutter is avoided and the symbols are allowed to speak for themselves, resonating with their counterparts within the viewer. This is really inspired work.

:) :) :) :) :) Thank you ever so much for your great choice of words! :)

spunch

rosyelf said:
Spunch, I liked your first cards very much. . .and I like these even more ! They are so luminous and. . . interesting. I really love the High Priestess-the oceanic blue, the book of wisdom, the way moon energies and sun energies are in equilibrium and expressed by flowers. I am excited about Soul Radiance. I wish you all the best as you continue. :)

love

rosyelf

Thank you very very much for your comment. I am really glad you like the cards. I hope I will not dissapoint you in the future! :)

noby

Congratulations on creating such a realized, lucid, and beautiful set of tarot cards! I love decks that are vivid and straightforward, that get to the essence of the tarot archetypes, and that transcend a particular time and culture. These cards do all these things, and they really are radiant. They communicate clearly. I love the effect and newness of cards without human or animal figures - in thinking about what kind of deck I would create, I too have thought of cards simply showing landscapes and/or objects. One card I have in my head is the Six of Cups as an image of an empty swingset, with one swing mid-motion (but empty). It's an image that really resonates with me (it should, since it came from my own mind :laugh: ), and these resonate in the same way. I would definitely buy and use this deck if it were published. Thanks for sharing these!

Rosanne

Masterful.

Take a bow, then take a standing ovation. Truely masterful, pared down to the Essence and made beautiful in their simplicity. I especially liked Death. I call it transformation and your card evoked all that plus the reality of Death.The only card I was a tad unsure about was The Sun, but after reviewing and reviewing it, The Sun these days does have a hard edge to it, for us Humans. It would be wonderful to be able to purchase your deck, one day. I think the Hermit is perfect -very Zen and refreshingly- has a feminine side. Regards Rosanne

noby

Two comments. These designs are so perfect it makes me want to nitpick a bit.

First, I love the Hermit's ideas and visual elements, the ice and the radiant pink flower, life juxtaposed against solitude, but something seems a little off-balance visually in the composition of the card.

Second, I love the image of the Wheel of Fortune card, but I'm having trouble gleaning its perspective on the theme and archetype. Could you elaborate on how you see this card in relation to its meaning?

spunch

noby said:
Two comments. These designs are so perfect it makes me want to nitpick a bit.

First, I love the Hermit's ideas and visual elements, the ice and the radiant pink flower, life juxtaposed against solitude, but something seems a little off-balance visually in the composition of the card.

Second, I love the image of the Wheel of Fortune card, but I'm having trouble gleaning its perspective on the theme and archetype. Could you elaborate on how you see this card in relation to its meaning?

Hi there! Thnx for your great comments. As for the Hermit, I like it very much, I grew fond of it but I still have to think about it for a while. The more I look at it, the harder it gets to change anything.

As for the Wheel of Fortune, here are some quotes from my journal on the card. It might help to develop your own ideas about the card:

SAND - Because of the innumerability of its grains, it's a symbol of INFINITY
FEET / FOOT - the organ of locomotion, of 'stepping out'. As early as Roman times, getting up or entering a house with one's righ foot was thought to bring good fortune, whereas doing this with one's left foot was thought to augur bad fortune (see the wheel on my card - left foot is entering the wheel - bad fortune; right foot is exiting the wheel and entering the palmtree - good fortune).
Bare feet sometimes can play an important role in rituals of fertility and maturity (foot is often attributed phallic significance, shoes being a symbol of the vulva - PSYCHOANALYSIS)
PALM TREE - date palm, tree more than 20 metres high that has a supple trunk that the wind cannot break; it can live to be more than 300 years old. Among Babylonians - divine tree. In antiquity, branches of the palm tree were victory symbols at public games. Palm BRANCHES are a widespread symbol of victory, joy and peace. The evergreen leaves of the palm tree are also a symbol of eternal life and resurrection. JUNG sees the shape of the palm tree as a symbol of the mind.
SPIRAL - cyclic development, the phases of the moon and their influence to water (female body / principle). Evolution in the entire cosmos - recurrance, renewal - NATURE - spring, but also summer, autumn and winter.
OCEAN - a symbol of inexhaustible vitality. According to psychoanalysis, then, it is related to the two-faced character of the Great Mother who gives and takes, permits and punishes. It is also a symbol of the unconscious. As an immesurably large surface, it is a symbol of infinity. It is also a symbol of union with God.

Basically, yingish-yangish approach to it - the bottom part with the cracks is, very generally speaking, bad fortune, whereas the ocean and the palm trees represent good fortune.

Also, I like your idea about the creation of your own cards, also about the swing. Think it would make a perfect card!