Emblematic Thoth Tarot of the Ancient Gods

DoctorArcanus

Links to all images

At this link you can see the three draft images I have produced. Since I don't have a scanner, I just took pictures of them...they are not great reproductions but the original are also very rough, for the time beeing ;)

I have recently read, with great pleasure, the Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley. I liked many things of the book and of the deck it describes.

The fact that the minors are labeled with simple keywords reminded me of Renaissance and Baroque Emblems, allegorical images that illustrate abstract concepts. The Liber T deck by Negrini and Serio, which is based on Thoth, also follows this idea: the minors feature emblematic images that represent both the astrological image of the relevant decan and the abstract concept associated with the card.
Reading Crowley, I also discovered Geomancy. That was an amazing discovery for me. I am intrigued by the 16 Geomantic figures, their meaning and the process by which they are created.

So I am thinking of a “neoclassical” Thoth-based Tarot in which:
* The majors are classical gods
* The minors are allegories
* Each court card contains the corresponding Geomantic figure

I have created these three cards using watercolors and a simple graphical format from an XVIII century deck I found on Kaplan I (p.146). The Magus is a Mercury from Cartari “Imagines Deorum”. The 6 of swords, Science, is the allegory of Mathematics from the Iconologia by Cesare Ripa. The Queen of Cups is from the Sola Busca deck. This Queen is too ancient to fit well with the other images. I think I could use Mitelli's court cards instead. The great Mitelli deck is very classical: for instance his Sun card is a beautiful Apollo.

The images I am using are ancient engravings. I would like to use a limited number of sources, but we will see.

It could be difficult to find appropriate gods for all the majors, and possibly also finding images for a few of the minors could be difficult. But that is going to be fun :)

I am curious to see if I will keep working on this idea...it could be a new way of studying the subjects I am interested in...

I would appreciate any feedback or ideas.

Marco

Adam McLean

I really like the use of emblem book images.

I would encourage you to find a library with holdings of
16th/17th/18th century emblem books and then find
items that resonate with the tarot imagery. Different
editions of Ripa's 'Iconologia' were illustrated by different designs,
though following his written descriptions. I have the facsimile
of the 1618 Padua edition, which was printed in 1989. It is a
great source of emblematic material. There are, of course,
many other emblem books to look at.

Do keep working at it. Tarot originally emerged out of
the mindset that created the emblem books. Why not
try and rework this today ?

Keep us posted about developments.

DoctorArcanus

Dear Adam,
thank you very much for your reply. Reading your post is very encouraging, I take it as a “sign” :)
The world of emblems is wide indeed and my knowledge of it is limited. This “Emblematic Tarot” is for me a new attempt to get in touch with these ancient images and understand their magic. I will do my best to follow your suggestions.

I would also like to express my appreciation for the Alchemywebsite, a resource I keep visiting as an inexhaustible goldmine of beauty and wisdom.

Marco

DoctorArcanus

Here is a picture of the first six cards I have made.
I have copied them from Vincenzo Cartari and Cesare Ripa.

I have developed my personal association between Court Cards and Geomantic figures.
For the Geomantic figures, I am using the numbers and graphical representation from "Le risposte della signora Leonora Bianca", a 1565 Divination book I downloaded from The Warbug Institute (Game Books).

I am having a lot of fun drawing these cards!

Marco

Melanchollic

An excellent idea, and excellent work so far. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.

I too am a fan of Geomancy. I often 'commandeer' some of its depths for use with divination of the 22 Trumps (minus the seeker - I, the sought - XXI, and the four virtues).

Debra

Ah, these are interesting to look at!

DoctorArcanus

Debra and Melanchollic, thank you for your words! I am so happy you find the idea interesting!
I also am curious to see where this will take me ;)

Here you can see 6 new cards. 5 minors (all from Ripa) and one major (the Wheel from "Oedipus Aegyptiacus" by Athanasius Kircher).

Melanchollic said:
I too am a fan of Geomancy. I often 'commandeer' some of its depths for use with divination of the 22 Trumps (minus the seeker - I, the sought - XXI, and the four virtues).

Melanchollic, we have to discuss Geomancy in more depth. You have many original ideas on the subject and I want to know more about them. I am going to start a thread somewhere...

Marco

Melanchollic

Again, they look fantastic. I love that 'Kircher' wheel!

If you start up a thread on Geomancy, and I'm not replying immediately, please PM me and let me know where you're at. I think Ayumi has studied Geomancy too. She usually has something stimulating to say.

Melanchollic

DoctorArcanus

Six new cards :)

3 Batons - Virtue - Cesare Ripa
3 Cups - Abundance - Cesare Ripa
IX - Senex - The Old Man - Saturn from Cartari
VIII - Accommodatio - Adjustment - from Cartari
V - Hierophantes - Hermit - from Athanasius Kircher
King of Swords - Acquisitio - King of Swords Sola Busca

Marco

Debra

Gosh, these are appealing. You have a light touch.