just got PCS Commemorative Deck

tarotbear

I am supposed to be getting one for my birthday (next week - not too late to get me something else! }) ) from Meewah. :)

Richard

......We may like the brown-ness, but it isn't aged. Nor does it resemble agedness. It's something else (which, yes, many of us like. I don't).

But perhaps the most wonderful thing about this deck is the firmness of line that comes through in the drawings.
I think the "tea" color is mostly a concession to those who don't like stark white. I don't usually like brown decks, but this is different somehow. Maybe it is indeed the "firmness of line" which you noted.

The best colorful RWS which I have is a mini printed in Belgium. The giant deck printed in China is also delightful because of the size, but it seems to be a facsimile enlargement of the rather sloppy Italian printing.

bogiesan

Hi, all. I'm new here and pretty new to tarot. I'm learning the cards and my decks and trying to get the baseline I feel I need to do "real" readings for people other than myself. I had 4 decks and felt quite self indulgent about it when buying each of them! And then I got smitten with the PCS Commemorative set. I wanted this set. I needed this set. I already have 2 RWS sets, I don't need another set. I WANT THIS DECK, I WANT THIS DECK, I REALLY REALLY WANT THIS DECK. This deck will make me fabulous and happy. I'll lose 10 pounds if I only buy this set.

Okay, finally today I called the shop I sometimes frequent. They have one copy of it in stock. Leapt in my car and ran right out. It's beautiful. It's wonderful. I love this deck. Yes, I'm a newbie with my 5 meager decks :)

So I was wondering if any of you are using or have used this deck and what your opinions of it are? I'd love to hear from more experienced readers.

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your acquisition of the PCSCD. Reading between the lines of your post, I sense a predisposition for addiction.
Try to relax a bit and enjoy the new deck, practice, read, have fun, make it yours.
It is possible to have a thoroughly rewarding and enlightening tarot hobby or career with only a single deck, the one deck you deeply connect with and enjoy.
Or you can buy dozens. Hundreds. It's an affliction. CAreful.

ValerieReikiLMT

I also had a self indulgent moment, and purchased this one for myself. I do really love it, even more than the Universal Waite deck. It feels good in my hands, and it looks really good too.

Emily

The PCS is my favourite RWS. I'm not keen on the colouring of the standard, I really dislike the yellow, so when the PCS came out I hoped it would be the RWS I could love - and it is. I had one little niggle about having the tiny USGames copyright on the front but as I got used to the deck, I don't see that copyright anymore. I wouldn't change anything, the cardstock, colouring, backs and size are just perfect. If I had started with this deck instead of the RWS I did start with, I doubt whether I would have moved on to be the deck hopper I was before the Liber T.

I will add though that the PCS put out by LoScarabeo comes a very close second, especially if you just want a nicely coloured RWS with no frills, well apart from a nice velvet bag.

greatdane

I not only love it, it's my favorite deck for my own readings (and usually my go to for friend's readings), and I have two copies (one for my own readings, one for others). I love everything about it. Re whether it looks aged, tea stained, to me it would just not look right being WHITE. The coloring suits it perfectly aesthetically for me and I wouldn't change one thing about this deck. It, and it's sister copy, live in Dark Nature Cases on my reading table, other decks live in a special tote.

pickled pixie

I've just received this deck as a Birthday Gift and I have to say I love, love, LOVE it!!!! I am like Goldilocks when it comes to the RWS ... too garish, to soft, too fancy...but the PCSCD is juuuuuuust right! :D

rmcfarron

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your acquisition of the PCSCD. Reading between the lines of your post, I sense a predisposition for addiction.
Try to relax a bit and enjoy the new deck, practice, read, have fun, make it yours.
It is possible to have a thoroughly rewarding and enlightening tarot hobby or career with only a single deck, the one deck you deeply connect with and enjoy.
Or you can buy dozens. Hundreds. It's an affliction. CAreful.

Thanks for the concern, Bogiesan. I can see how that might come across. I'm not usually an acquisitive person, but occasionally something will just "speak to me". And then, generally, I keep coming back to it until either the opportunity passes (a lovely painting that I'm still sorry someone else bought) or I find a way to make it mine. Fortunately for me, it doesn't happen often! I look at all the lovely collections here on the board and think "how delightful!". But I'm not compelled to one myself. Of course, having limited space and budget help me to keep it in check :)

I've been looking at the wonderful images on the PCSC deck this weekend, studying and making notes. I'm pleased to say that having it in my hands has been just as satisfying as I'd hoped it would!

rmcfarron

PCS Commemorative- 1 week in

So, I've had my PCS Commemorative deck for a week now. Been studying and working with it a lot. I love this deck, the images are simply lovely and I've picked up on things I'd missed with my regular Rider-Waite deck. Just one downside....I CANNOT shuffle this deck. I've always used a riffle shuffle - wasn't ever able to get what I felt was a really good shuffle using the overhand method. I'd be interested to hear from others who have/use the deck. Do you riffle shuffle? Does it loosen up over time? I will definitely keep working with it, but it's a struggle. Thanks for your input!

I also posted this to the Pro/Con Thread. Hope that's okay.

agviz

....I CANNOT shuffle this deck. I've always used a riffle shuffle - wasn't ever able to get what I felt was a really good shuffle using the overhand method. I'd be interested to hear from others who have/use the deck. Do you riffle shuffle? Does it loosen up over time? I will definitely keep working with it, but it's a struggle.

After six months, I don't believe mine has loosed up a bit. But using it has made my hands much stronger (see, I'm making with the funny). Seriously though, yes it is pretty stiff. I somehow manage to riffle shuffle it, and do so all the time. I also overhand shuffle with it. I just have to be more aggressive with it. One good thing is that it holds up really well. I do think they've over done the stiffness with the stock, but it doesn't exactly pose a problem for me. Hope you become comfortable with yours.