My Secret Vice: the Bohemian Gothic

Richard

I don't have the deck. I think of it as sort of a fun gimmick, to be enjoyed for the "art," but (at least for me) not suitable for Tarot reading. I would like to have the deck for the pictures, but its not worth forking out the $$ from my meager government "dole" (Social Security and state pension).

greatdane

I never had the original, the first one, but when the pewter and the second were due out, I ordered three (two regular, one pewter). ALL three had some flaws from printing, just the luck of the draw. Some were really severe, some better. But I tried to connect with it, journaled with it card by card, just wasn't working for me, sold all three (I think the flaws and the size of the decks probably didn't help, but the images and I weren't clicking). Then a couple years went by and I wanted to try again and borrowed an extra a friend had, still, didn't click, I waited awhile and wanted to try again for some reason and asked my friend if I could borrow an extra again and for Christmas, she gifted me a new one. I have gotten to where I can read with it, we have a new relationship and I do love this deck now, but yes it was a process over a couple of years of yes, I want it, but can't read with it, don't want it, and now it works for me. Real type photos, digi images aren't usually my thing at all for tarot, so this is my ONE where it seems to work now. I use RWS meanings and my own intuition for the cards. BTW, one of the BEST readings anyone ever did for me was with their BG.....

Melia

So, how do you find the Bohemian Gothic? Does anyone use it for readings? Does anyone have 'sensible' conversations with it?

It's not one of my go to decks, although I really like it. I missed out on the 1st edition. When the 2nd edition was released I stood back and watched everyone else buy their copies, telling myself I didn't want or need the deck. When seconds of the deck became available on the Baba Studios website though, I bought 2 'for fun'. It gives great readings ... for example, I've just done a 3 card reading about the 3 girls/women who were abducted in Cleveland, and the 4 of wands was one card drawn. This deck never misses. It would be nice though to one day own a copy of the book that was issued with 1st edition, so fingers crossed a reprint is in the offering along with the 3rd edition (if/when that occurs).

Miss Divine

I had it, sold it several years ago, and recently bought it again from a friend who desperately needed money. She never did more than look at the images and knew right away it wasn't for her... And since I've had it in my collection for the second time, it hasn't come out of the box since looking at the images again when I got it. To help my friend out I don't regret buying it, but other than that, yes I do regret it because the deck is still not for me. One of those decks I'm definitely going to sell. Oh well!

Juliana

I have the 2nd edition pewter and I love it. I've always been into the macabre, even as a young child, and so this deck seems almost made for me. I don't read with it as much as I would like, mostly because it is OOP and I so fear ruining it. But I love to look at it, hold it, revel in it. It fits my personality perfectly.

Le Fanu

Tarot ecstacy doesn't get much better than this. I love this deck and come back to it again and again. So many of my favourite cards are in this deck. There is no better Emperor than this - crazed, meglamanic, bobbed hair - and oh so many fabulous, unforgettable images.

I have a *unique* unnumbered Silver edition and a standard 1st edition plus three pewter 3rd editions and one standard 3rd edition. Plus I don't know how many bags...

It reads like a dream for me. I tend not to use it that much for others as it is rather dark and ominous and so doesn't always get a reading off on a good footing.

The construction of images is flawless. I love the the borderlessness and unhinged parlour portrait glares. I have a pewter copy in a Queen of Wands bag by the bed and wrapped in black silk.

I can really see that urge to create stories from it. It just begs to have narratives woven around it.

One of the best decks in my collection, without a doubt :thumbsup:

jpdj0210

I only recently heard of this deck while browsing here on the site. I was immediately drawn to it and unfortunately became very excited. Until I realized it's OOP and way too much for me to spend on a deck I might only use to admire visually. I don't make that much. lol
Like someone else said, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a reprint.

Inconnu

I really don't see this pack as so much of an expression of Tarot as an expression of lifestyle. I embrace the dark side, to a point. But if I'm in the mood for the silent Nosferatu I'll dig it up out of my DVD collection.

This pack is a cartoon. Too campy to be serious.

magpie9

My problem with this deck is I never know whether to read it as though it is Upright or Reversed. Which is N uts considering that I don't read reversed. Still. That's how it is. If I ever untangle that, I think I could read the spots off it.Love the Images, the style, the ambiance. Meanwhile, it sits in it's lovely Baba bag, rusting away.

Rosanne

I am pleased with your passion, got it out from the chest where it was rusting away (thanks magpie 9) and spread it out.......
Flicker....flicker....black and white pale as chalk, black as Isis eyes it is ummmm...
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari 'Help me....Help me... I am going to run over by train...or bitten on the neck as the eyes -bug eyed at that, stare back.
Not even anti rust will help....perhaps if I joined them all together I could make a little shoe box theatre.
I was suckered into that deck by the hype. Need my head examined.
Passion I can agree with, so I am glad some feel that.
~Rosanne