Venetian tabacchi deck

Aeric

While I was in Venice I scoured every tobacco shop I could find inquiring about Tarot decks. One I went into didn't have any, but did feature this lovely frame up on a wall. Do you recognize it?

The cards are quite large, possibly a foot long, but I couldn't tell if this was an actual deck or printouts.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 117

gregory

Going by the banner on the Empress card - looks Milanese !

Bluefeet

It looks to be the Tarocchi Milano 1850 by Teodoro Dotti. Il Meneghello once reproduced this deck in 1986 as a limited edition, now it has become quite rare and valuable.

The deck is featured in this article: http://l-pollett.tripod.com/cards65.htm

ETA: Since the original cards are very small, what you saw in that shop must be prints of the original.

gregory

Well done you ! But the ones in the shop look awfully GREEN ! I was very thrown by the colour, I must say !
Oh wait - more to it than that - the Dotti Empress holds a shield; this one a - round thing !

But definitely on the right lines :)

Aeric

Fantastic, thank you! I notice that the wall deck has Death named La Morte instead of Uguaglianza as the article indicates Dotti's deck did. Termperance is also named "La Temperan" missing the -za suffix as if there wasn't room. Do you think these titles were inserted for the wall?