Barley's Timing Spread

Barleywine

I've been dissatisfied with the "slop" in many of the timing methods I've encountered, so I decided to create a spread-based approach that can be used both as a stand-alone and as a way to provide more precise timing detail for the "outcome" card of a previous spread. I'm attaching the layout and methodology for the technique. I tried to attach a photographic example but the pdf files are too large. I'll see if I can find a different way.

This is highly experimental right now, so I would appreciate hearing about any experience you have with it, and any recommendations for improvement. I don't want to make it any more complicated, though.

ETA: I've moved the attachments to Post #6, where I've been keeping them updated with the latest input.

Barleywine

I'm (hopefully) embedding the images of my example timing spread. My significator here is the King of Cups from the Connolly deck. (Odd, the photobucket links show in Edit Mode but I don't see any pictures in the post. IMG Code is "On.")

I'm going to try them one at a time. (Nope, I don't see the single image either. I copied the links directly from photobucket.)

freyapax08

This very much appeals to my sensibilities. I'll be trying it soon and will give you feedback!

freyapax08

I've been dissatisfied with the "slop" in many of the timing methods I've encountered, so I decided to create a spread-based approach that can be used both as a stand-alone and as a way to provide more precise timing detail for the "outcome" card of a previous spread. I'm attaching the layout and methodology for the technique. I tried to attach a photographic example but the pdf files are too large. I'll see if I can find a different way.

This is highly experimental right now, so I would appreciate hearing about any experience you have with it, and any recommendations for improvement. I don't want to make it any more complicated, though.

Couple of questions. If your significator card shows up in the final 6 card row does that mean its too far outside of the scope of the spread? Ie. if you determined your unit of time is Weeks, would that suggest resolution is beyond 12 weeks?

Do the final 6 cards have any significance in themselves other than whichever card the significator lands on when dealing out the index pack? Or are you ONLY paying attention to the rest of the cards in the index pack?

Barleywine

Couple of questions. If your significator card shows up in the final 6 card row does that mean its too far outside of the scope of the spread? Ie. if you determined your unit of time is Weeks, would that suggest resolution is beyond 12 weeks?

Do the final 6 cards have any significance in themselves other than whichever card the significator lands on when dealing out the index pack? Or are you ONLY paying attention to the rest of the cards in the index pack?

This is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for.

There are a couple of ways I can think of to handle the situation where the significator falls among the last six cards (73 through 78):

Consider that the answer is inconclusive and redo the layout. If it happens again, abandon the divination.

Consider that the time-frame chosen by intuition (in this case, weeks) was the wrong scale (it should have been months). Pick up the last six cards with the significator among them (which will still represent the "index pack"), and use the six cards in Pile #1 as a new "line" showing the first month of the next 12-month period following the 12-week range (quarter) originally targeted (which is now "off the radar"). The apportionment of those six cards would then be approximately 5 days each (30/6), instead of the original 1 day (7/6). (This relaxes the "fine-tuning.").

Since Pile #1 was probably turned face-up in Step #2, deal it out in a line from right-to-left to mirror the way it would have fallen if face-down. (At this point, the rest of the cards in the outer "ring" can be ignored.) Shuffle the "index pack" and proceed as before.

The main purpose of the six-card line is to position the "index card" within a narrower range of the original time-frame; each position is 1/6 of that interval. If the scale is months instead of weeks and the index card lands in the third pile (3 months) at Step #2, each position in the line would show roughly 15 days at Step #4. Where the index card lands in Step #4 would reflect the 2-week window where closure could be expected. If the sixth pile is the "index pack," each of the six final cards would reflect one month (6/6). And so forth.

As to your second question, the 6-card line will consist of six 2-card sets after the "index pack" is dealt out at Step #4. I would read the significator and the card under it as a pair using elemental dignities (focus card and modifier) to show the "quality" of the closure period. I would then read the pairs on either side of the significator pair in the same way, as "run-up" and "follow-up" periods of the same duration (in this case, 5 days on either side). The rest of the cards in the line I would ignore, since timing was the main objective and the rest is just interpretive "gravy."

Thanks for your constructive comments!

Barleywine

Here is an updated version of the timing spread incorporating the above discussion. It includes all comments up to 0600 on August 11, 2016.

ETA: See Post #34 for an updated version that includes a more fully-realized "first operation."

Attachments

• Barley's Timing Graphic.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 787
  • Barley's Timing Text.pdf
    52.3 KB · Views: 741

Barleywine

Got it figured out! Photobucket has four options for sharing files. I had to copy and paste the URL from the one that said "IMG." (Well, duh . . .)

This example spread uses the King of Cups as the "index card." It showed up in Pile #12, reflecting 12 "units" of time. Let's say it's 12 weeks, showing that the event would occur "within 12 weeks" of the date of the reading. When I dealt out the "index pack" on top of the final six cards, the King landed in the "Week 6-8" slot of the 12-week period. The length of these six "bins" will change depending on the overall timeframe chosen and the pile the index card falls in; it's just a method of interpolation. I would then read the card beneath the King to see what that period would bring to the King of Cups in the way of experiences related to the "closure event." After that, I would look at the two cards to the left for an impression of the preceding 2-week "run-up" period, and the two cards to the right to see what kind of "fall-out" might have to be dealt with (the 2-week "mop-up" period). As I mentioned above, all of this interpretation is just "gravy" once the timing is nailed down.

DSC00043_zpsrmlqvgnz.jpg
[/URL][/img]

DSC00044_zps9nsqlnmu.jpg
[/URL][/img]

DSC00045_zpssqohuqlj.jpg
[/URL][/img]

DSC00046_zps8itmrjlw.jpg
[/URL][/img]

DSC00047_zps83gyi0jk.jpg
[/URL][/img]

freyapax08

This is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for.

There are a couple of ways I can think of to handle the situation where the significator falls among the last six cards (73 through 78):

Consider that the answer is inconclusive and redo the layout. If it happens again, abandon the divination.

Consider that the time-frame chosen by intuition (in this case, weeks) was the wrong scale (it should have been months). Pick up the last six cards with the significator (which still constitute the "index pack"), and use the six cards in Pile #1 as a new "line" showing the first month of the next 12-month period following the quarter originally targeted. The apportionment of those six cards would then be approximately 5 days each (30/6), instead of the original 2 weeks (12/6). (This tightens up on the "fine-tuning.").

Since Pile #1 was probably turned face-up in Step #2, deal it out in a line from right-to-left to mirror the way it would have fallen if face-down. (At this point, the rest of the cards in the outer "ring" can be ignored.) Shuffle the "index pack" and proceed as before.

The main purpose of the six-card line is to position the "index card" within a narrower range of the original time-frame; each position is 1/6 of that interval. If the scale is months instead of weeks and the index card lands in the third pile (3 months) at Step #2, each position in the line would show roughly 15 days at Step #4. Where the index card lands in Step #4 would reflect the 2-week window where closure could be expected. If the sixth pile is the "index pack," each of the six final cards would reflect one month (6/6). And so forth.

As to your second question, the 6-card line will consist of six 2-card sets after the "index pack" is dealt out at Step #4. I would read the significator and the card under it as a pair using elemental dignities (focus card and modifier) to show the "quality" of the closure period. I would then read the pairs on either side of the significator pair in the same way, as "run-up" and "follow-up" periods of the same duration (in this case, 5 days on either side). The rest of the cards in the line I would ignore, since timing was the main objective and the rest is just interpretive "gravy."

Thanks for your constructive comments!

Alrighty just to make sure I've got it right ...
I have Queen Pents as my significant card.
I decided my unit of time will be Months
Deal out my cards, 12 piles of six cards for 12 months.
I find my Queen in the 2nd pile - So my answer is within 2 months.
Now I know that my line of 6 covers 2 months. For math ease I changed this to 60 days. So each card in the line stands for 10 days.
I shuffled the 2nd pile (the one with the Queen) and dealt them out on the line of 6. The Queen landed on the first card. So, its now narrowed down to within 10 days.
She landed on the 2 of Swords, meaning she'll have to deal with that situation. The other surrounding cards just simply tell me more about the context of the situation.

Did I miss anything?

Barleywine

Alrighty just to make sure I've got it right ...
I have Queen Pents as my significant card.
I decided my unit of time will be Months
Deal out my cards, 12 piles of six cards for 12 months.
I find my Queen in the 2nd pile - So my answer is within 2 months.
Now I know that my line of 6 covers 2 months. For math ease I changed this to 60 days. So each card in the line stands for 10 days.
I shuffled the 2nd pile (the one with the Queen) and dealt them out on the line of 6. The Queen landed on the first card. So, its now narrowed down to within 10 days.
She landed on the 2 of Swords, meaning she'll have to deal with that situation. The other surrounding cards just simply tell me more about the context of the situation.

Did I miss anything?

It looks like you got it. And because the "index card" (significator) landed in the first position of the 6-card line, the arrival of what I call the "closure event" would not be preceded by any preparatory phase. Considering the context of the matter, it could very well be immaterial. The card on top of the next two-card set following the Queen of Pents and its underlying modifier would suggest whether any follow-up (or "mop-up," depending on how messy things got) would be required in the subsequent 10 days, and what the nature of that might be.

Thanks for the feedback.

freyapax08

It looks like you got it. And because the "index card" (significator) landed in the first position of the 6-card line, the arrival of what I call the "closure event" would not be preceded by any preparatory phase. Considering the context of the matter, it could very well be immaterial. The card on top of the next two-card set following the Queen of Pents and its underlying modifier would suggest whether any follow-up (or "mop-up," depending on how messy things got) would be required in the subsequent 10 days, and what the nature of that might be.

Thanks for the feedback.

Well I've done three readings for three different questions, and now to wait and see how they pan out! Thanks for the spread!