Trimming the Thoth

rachelcat

Dwaas said:
I trimmed my pocket Thoth and yes it is very small. But that's a good thing because I have small hands. It is my favorite mini, most used deck as I carry it with me all the time and I just LOVE it!

Dear Dwaas:

I'm thinking of getting a pocket Thoth to trim to make a mini. What are the dimensions of yours? Decisions, decisions . . .

Thanks!

Dwaas

Hello rachelcat,

I'm not at home right now but I'd say the mini Thoth is about 5 by 8 cm.

A few other things about my trimmed Thoth.
It could happen really sometimes that people would "recognize" a Thoth deck because of the specific borders. And then they could start about this terrifying deck, the terrifying A.C. etc. Now when it is trimmed it looks like it is not that "horrible" anymore as it is never recognized :D

And also interesting for people who are working with first time querents who are perhaps a bit intimidated by big cards full of recognizable pictures, a mini Thoth without borders is REALLY a VERY SMALL deck. So often we first come to talk about how cute (!!!) and small this deck is. "Is that really tarot? I thought it have to be big cards! Can we first just look at the cards? Can I hold them? They are not scary at all!" Etc.

Blessings

Juniper

I'm a little confused. Why bother trimming the thoth when it already comes in 2 sizes???

Strange2

Juniper said:
I'm a little confused. Why bother trimming the thoth when it already comes in 2 sizes???

The Thoth deck has borders around the images, and "key words" or meanings on the bottom of the minor arcana cards, which some find distracting. Trimming the Thoth deck would remove the borders and keywords, thus leaving only the images.

I have not (yet) trimmed a Thoth, but from some of the examples posted here I can see where this would really make the images jump out.

Strange2

rachelcat said:
I'm thinking of getting a pocket Thoth to trim to make a mini. What are the dimensions of yours?

Dimensions of Thoth decks (untrimmed):

Large: 140 mm x 95 mm, or 5 1/2 in x 3 3/4 in
Medium: 110 mm x 70 mm, or 4 1/4 in x 2 3/4 in
Pocket: 89 mm x 58 mm, or 3 1/2 in x 2 1/4 in

rachelcat

Thanks very much for all the info. Now I'm digging out my ruler and deciding what I want to do! I'll let you know!

rachelcat

I did it!

I trimmed a pocket and got a beautiful Thoth mini. The cards are about 2 and 5/8 by 1 and 3/4 inches--smaller than a LS mini, but not postage stamp size! I can't get over how good they look--and the BACKS are beautiful, too!

I used a rolling blade paper cutter and a corner punch. The cards aren't totally even, but I can live it. I'll just have to be careful when I cut the deck! The deck is now in my tote bag in its cute little red and black velvet bag, and is officially my ultimate carry deck!

When my year-long study is over at the summer solstice (and I won't need the cards on my altar any more) my large Thoth is getting the same treatment! I have to remember to get a new blade for my paper cutter.

I'm racking my brain, but I can't think of any others of my decks that "need" to be trimmed, but maybe I'll look through my collection over the weekend . . .

thinbuddha

I don't think that you'll come to regret it. I am still *very* happy with my trimmed (big) thoth. I see my other untrimmed thoth decks, and.... yuck!

catlin

Ok, guys, guess what I want to do during my Easter holiday????

Trim my standard sized Thoth!!! Away with the ugly borders and keywords, you convinced me to do it!!! I bought a brand new paper cutting machine, will get the sandpaper and rounding the corners has to do my printer guy (because I don't have such a corner rounder thingy).

Fulgour

Measure twice and Cut once...

catlin said:
I bought a brand new paper cutting machine, will get the sandpaper and rounding the corners has to do my printer guy (because I don't have such a corner rounder thingy).
As a safety measure, before you start cut out a blank index card
to the actual size of the standard image and see if any of the 78
card images are bigger or smaller than the others. Check to see...