Cosmic Tarot - Two of Pentacles

tink27

A young man is balancing between two yellow pentacles on a beach. It looks as if the tide is coming in. On his shirt is also two pentacles which appear similar to the ones on the ground. .Among the rocks on the shore is a green snake and perhaps a sand piper. In the distance is an island and to the man’s left, a sailboat with the yin/yang sign.

http://www.angelpaths.com/decks/cosmic/pents/twoofpents.html

I also get the sense that time is running out here…with the tide moving in and the snake with its eye on the bird, I fear there’s something definitely amiss here.. Is this man trying to formulate something in a slow and steady fashion? With his left hand to his heart, is he putting all his hopes and wishes on them…….does he believe true success comes from working hard for what you get? Will all his hard and persistence work pay off? Will the inner peace and harmony I sense here, guard him against the things that want to disrupt or cause him trouble? I hope so!

I can’t help but wonder why this man is reluctant to move beyond the familiar (two pentacles)….is it insecurity (money) or the need to control all aspects of his life? He’s certainly focused on what he’s doing and he’s definitely not cutting any corners…..he’s doing everything by the book….maybe he’s a perfectionist!

What would happen if he stepped out of the figure 8 and swam to the boat or the Island? A breakthrough perhaps…..and freedom from past hurts……or does this man need continuity in his life, and a steady paycheck…..where time is his greatest ally.

This man would be dedicated to his partner, but if he does suffer from insecurities then a lot of his life, especially the past could be secretly hidden away. He also seems to be a bit reserved….speaking only when spoken to.

tink :love:

star-lover

this card has always said to me that that man is on the ball, he knows exactly what he is doing and juggling this and that but that that little bird has got him taking stock - he knows there is a danger in front of him, he does not want to upset the balance in his life, he does not want to frighten the bird off! he has his mind on something he wants but will NOT rock the boat and mess things up - he is very clever and versatile

he is a very careful person to keep things just so - a person who is always walking on eggshells in a way - to his detriment because i see this as a card of potential stress and trying to juggle too many things at the same time - he had better drop one to be a happier person in the long run

Myrrha

If you cover up the top half of this card you can see the influence of the Crowley Thoth Two of Disks. The figure eight form, the serpent. The figure eight seems to me to show that things are ebbing and flowing but not in any drastic way. The serpent in this image seems more like a warning than it does in the Thoth deck because of the way it seems almost like it could strike.

The top half of the card is very much like the Waite/Smith image. He is wearing a diagram of the Thoth deck image on his shirt. The ship appearing in the background has a yin/yang on it which is a symbol of change as well as balance.

The young man seems unconcerned and care-free. I can almost hear him whistling. He has interesting things around him, the flower, shells, bird. They aren't grand and fancy things as this is only the two but he isn't in a desperate situation. Also, the ship is very likely to have wonderful things and opportunities for him.

The astrological reference (going by the Thoth deck) is Jupiter in Capricorn. Jupiter is the planet of luck, the energy is expansive and beneficent. Capricorn is a sign that has to do with striving, success in business, work. So Jupiter in Capricorn could indicate luck and expansion of financial opportunities. The Thoth keyword is change.

EDITED to add: In an astrology thread I learned that Jupiter is in its fall in Capricorn and becomes a decidedly less beneficial influence. So the idea of stepping carefully in a time when financial circumstances are changing makes more sense.

--Myrrha

Akuts

To me the man seems to be concentrating. He is not tense, but relaxed and in complete control. His feet are placed deliberately at the centre of the circles, with the left foot rising as if it is about to join the right foot. He has made his decision and he is acting upon it. He is, if you will, moving deliberately from circle one to circle two.

The bird at his left is a creature of the air, while the snake at his right is earthbound. I feel that the man's step forward represents his knowledge of these two extremes, and his willingness to move forward along his chosen path, and in so doing, to free himself.

Myrrha

Akuts, I can see it that way too now that you've pointed it out. Sometimes I look at the card and he does seem to be concentrating and placing his feet very carefully. It also looks like his feet are in a ballet position which does make it look very deliberate.

This is a hard card for me to grasp (harder than usual) because it seems to, well, change. It seems to be about both sides of a coin.

--Myrrha

Akuts

Myrrha said:
This is a hard card for me to grasp (harder than usual) because it seems to, well, change. It seems to be about both sides of a coin.

I think you're right that this card is about both sides of a coin. I rarely check the LWB, but, as I had it out anyway, I did. It says "changes, attraction between opposites". Perhaps this is why the card itself appears to change.

I've never noticed before, but I've just seen that there is no definite point on this card where the water becomes the sand. Two different elements merging seamlessly.

I also think that the man appears to be in a ballet position, but I additionally think he looks as if he might be practicising Tai chi. Both, I suspect, rely on careful and deliberate placement of the body. And in both, an expert would make the movements appear effortless and carefree. I think I agree with you now!

minerva1212

Cosmic Tarot - Two of PENTACLES

I see this card as the picture of a young man who must watch his step and tread forward carefully. If he is not fully aware of his treacherous environment, he may make a tragic misstep and step on a snake or a sharp rock. This is not the best beach to be walking around barefoot. I see this as a card about wise spending and making careful investments. The figure's movements are slow and calculated. I like the observation that he might be practicing Tai Chi.

Has anyone ever noticed the little rock located in the bottom left-hand side of this card? What is that symbol on the rock? It doesn't seem to correspond to the Runes...

Rhinemaiden

I see this card as the picture of a young man who must watch his step and tread forward carefully. If he is not fully aware of his treacherous environment, he may make a tragic misstep and step on a snake or a sharp rock. This is not the best beach to be walking around barefoot. I see this as a card about wise spending and making careful investments. The figure's movements are slow and calculated. I like the observation that he might be practicing Tai Chi.

Has anyone ever noticed the little rock located in the bottom left-hand side of this card? What is that symbol on the rock? It doesn't seem to correspond to the Runes...

NL - initials of Norbert Losche, creator of the Cosmic Tarot

(his initials are on every card... sometimes VERY small, almost like a "where's Waldo?" game or finding the number of Nina's in an Al Hirschfeld caricature.)