Favorite Playing Cards method

Le Fanu

MatPoint said:
I got the Playing oracles set. I have just flipped some pages and I found the meanings quite complex maybe that's because I haven't read the book paying attention to details

I hadnt planned to get into cartomancy with playing cards, but picked up just the Playing Card Oracle deck in my local esoteric shop and found the LWB inadequate, but the images appealed to me.... I ordered the book off amazon and can now say that the book is essential. It has to be read cover to cover to make sense, and there is an excellent historical context of playing cards for games AND divination...

I have quite a few interesting historical playing card decks in my collection and I guess that once I become more familiar with the meanings and structure and can read them and do the geomantic calculations more effortlessly. I shall switch to a deck with artwork which I like more...

Good luck... I have actually read the Hedgwytchery stuff and felt that this too was interesting and a system which one could build on. The secret, I suppose, is to be able to grasp an entire system and understand how it works rather than random card meanings. This - for me - is just too taxing. When random meanings have to be mechanically memorised.

You probably know this already; but best to choose a single system and stick with it... and not flit around and get lost :) Good luck...

elvenstar

I only use the hedgewytchery method now. I used to read playing cards years ago with a different one, but don't remember it any more.

It makes sense to me and it has been very accurate, including timing. You can start with the basic rules and slowly progress from there, after a while you can see where all the specific meanings come from and add your own. There is a system, so there's no need for a lot of memorising.

MatPoint

olivia said:
What is Kepherus system? I can't find anything about it!

Hey Olivia,

I couldn't find anything either. If you happen to find any information about it just let me know it.

Do you aread Spanish playing cards?

Mat

MatPoint

I thought it would be a good idea to have a list of Playing Cards methods with links to related sources of information such as autor website, method website or anything important.

I don't know all the methods out there so if you think of one that I don't have in the list let me know and I will include it.

I think it would be great to have a thread with anything related to playing card methods so that a newbie to playing cards (such as me myself) could find lots of information wrapped in a single thread.

SpiritOfTheDogz

How about the domino method :)

I found out a few days ago that people read dominos, so i looked further into it. One of the "list of meanings" I found was for double 12's and the dominos I had were the usual double 6's so i started thinking about using the domino meanings with cards. As in the double 12's there is actually 13 because the blanks are counted, and as their are 13 different numbers (counting J as 11, Q as 12 and K as blank) in a card deck I figured it should work. I've gone through the list I had of the meanings and changed all the blanks to Kings, all the 11's to Jacks and of course the 12's became the Queens.

So in theory you would need to turn two cards over to make a domino, but with the method I use after the first draw of two cards, i then place them down one at a time and let my intuition tell me where to put it as whichever card I put it near, will be used to make another domino...got it?

I've only done a couple of readings like this so far, but it worked incredible

Paul

Dark Windy Nights

Has anyone tried the Fortunetelling With Playing Cards by Sophia method? It's a sort of obscure book and method.

olivia

MatPoint said:
Hey Olivia,

I couldn't find anything either. If you happen to find any information about it just let me know it.

Do you aread Spanish playing cards?

Mat
Not for the moment, I'm still newbie with tarot, I'm still searching for a playing cards method,.... Lenormand....belline....ge...arrg a lot of work and only 24 hours in a day :confused:, but I have a lot of books of spanish playing cards awaiting...

MatPoint

Dark Windy Nights said:
Has anyone tried the Fortunetelling With Playing Cards by Sophia method? It's a sort of obscure book and method.

Hi Dark Windy Nights,

I've seen it on amazon and the reviews were not very good, but I don't have the book so I can't tell.

Do you use Sophia's method? Do you find it accurate? Let us now anything if you have any experience with it.

Thank you for bringing up another method.

Mat

MatPoint

olivia said:
Not for the moment, I'm still newbie with tarot, I'm still searching for a playing cards method,.... Lenormand....belline....ge...arrg a lot of work and only 24 hours in a day :confused:, but I have a lot of books of spanish playing cards awaiting...

Hey same thing here, only 24 hours in a day, shame on us. I think you should focus on one deck until you get the basics of it. I've also been using for a few years Tarot, Lenormand, Belline and Ge, plus a few more. If you need help let me know I'll be glad to help.

MatPoint

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
How about the domino method :)

I found out a few days ago that people read dominos, so i looked further into it. One of the "list of meanings" I found was for double 12's and the dominos I had were the usual double 6's so i started thinking about using the domino meanings with cards. As in the double 12's there is actually 13 because the blanks are counted, and as their are 13 different numbers (counting J as 11, Q as 12 and K as blank) in a card deck I figured it should work. I've gone through the list I had of the meanings and changed all the blanks to Kings, all the 11's to Jacks and of course the 12's became the Queens.

So in theory you would need to turn two cards over to make a domino, but with the method I use after the first draw of two cards, i then place them down one at a time and let my intuition tell me where to put it as whichever card I put it near, will be used to make another domino...got it?

I've only done a couple of readings like this so far, but it worked incredible

Paul

That's sounds interesting SpiritoftheDogz, but I have no clue how to read dominos.

It is something that maybe we should try.

Thanks for this idea, it is brilliant.