Medieval Scapini

ana luisa

SERIOUSLY thinking about buying this deck. It is not my kind of art AT ALL but I have been seeing it in use and browsed through the cards and it looks amazingly rich and fun. Should I ? Also, for those of you who have it, is there a stock difference between the printings before and after 2007 ?

Le Fanu

I shall rise above talk of cardstock. :p

What I would say though - if you're thinking of getting the deck - is that the book by Dekker (Art & Arcana I think it's called) is a fantastic companion book for this deck - it was a huge help for me in deciphering where this deck is coming from and its Etteilla-ness. Definitely recommended.

ana luisa

What I would say though - if you're thinking of getting the deck - is that the book by Dekker (Art & Arcana I think it's called) is a fantastic companion book for this deck - it was a huge help for me in deciphering where this deck is coming from and its Etteilla-ness. Definitely recommended.

Thank you so much for chipping in, Le Fanu. Your advice is always extremely valuable to me . I will take a note on the book . It is indeed called Art and Arcana and it's pretty affordable as well. Thank you again !

Beanfeasa

Is that why I don't get this deck, it's Etteilla based? I must check out that book. Thanks Le Fanu

Madrigal

I like this deck a lot. It's got humor and sobriety, both. I don't have the book mentioned above but that hasn't stopped me from finding my readings with this deck resonant. The symbology is pronounced and while symbols may have a general meaning where they live in the reader is where the alchemy happens.

nisaba

SERIOUSLY thinking about buying this deck. It is not my kind of art AT ALL but I have been seeing it in use and browsed through the cards and it looks amazingly rich and fun. Should I ?

Absolutely, you should! It is quirky, humorous, desperate and fun. The guy who designed it is a genius.

Also, for those of you who have it, is there a stock difference between the printings before and after 2007 ?

That, I can't tell you. I know there is a printing (which I don't have) where the gold bits are done in actual reflective foil: in mine (and I don't know when it was printed), the image was merely scanned and the gold bits done in printer's ink, so they came out brown, with orange highlights.

I still love it, but I wouldn't say no to a proper gilded one. :)

mrpants

ana louisa, do it! I got this deck back in the spring, and I really do adore it. It's got a fairy tale vibe that's not too precious, mixed with an almost illuminated-manuscript feel, and a dash of old-timey grotesque. The book is great, as well. More like a commentary on the artist, and his style and content, less of a user's manual.

Regarding the printing, I found an unopened edition from the '80s(?), printed in Switzerland I believe (and it was a very easy price). I have heard that the color balance is much darker in the newer edition.

ana luisa

Thank you ALL ! Thank you LeFanu, rwcarter, Beanfeasa, Madrigal, nisaba and mrpants !!!! Successfully enabled !!! The package is on its way :) My doubts about the style being, as mrpants puts it , "grotesque", scared me a bit but I guess we will have a BLAST working together . I'll let you know how we jive ;) Thank you again :thumbsup:

AnemoneRosie

I hope you like it! I certainly enjoy mine :)