Really tempted to open decks purchased at shop collecting dust - asking opinions

ram

Hi! I introduced myself on the aeclectic website sometime ago. I have social-anxiety in physical life that translates poorly digitally so I've been participating at my own pace since. Anyway...

Over the last year I was able to shop at a store I wouldn't usually, they had more Tarot decks than I'd ever seen. I tried to look closely at the understated decks and over the course of some time found the four decks:

Illuminating Ancient Tarots
Esoteric Ancient Tarots
Ancient Tarot of Lombardy
Ancient Tarots of Liguria-Piedmont

The cards of Esoteric Ancient Tarots are the only ones that are not in original plastic wrapping, but they've clearly never been used.

The issue I'm having is I'm super-curious to see and touch the cards. Over the year I've progressed in art school and become more appreciative of painting especially. But I'm not sure if, in the Tarot world, we open older, neat decks like this--or we let our children find them someday and they could be even cooler then.

I have been hesitant to ask, but just want to know what anyone else would do!
de524334a8f98c78166fbac5bf90f780.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debra

Hi ram.
These are lovely reproductions of old decks and I imagine you'll really enjoy looking at the cards. They are cooler, in my opinion, when admired and loved. :love:

MoonGypsy

Hi ram.
They are cooler, in my opinion, when admired and loved. :love:

i wholeheartedly agree with Debra...It is also honoring the original artists, IMHO.

RaeLynne

I would open them :) I agree with Debra, gently used older decks that have been loved and admired are still awesome to find.

ram

Thank you so much! That's exactly the gentle, knowledgeable answers I was hoping for! I'm quite new to this world and know very little--I could tell there were limited numbers of them--only because they were older, and most of their decks had web addresses and outer shrink wrap on them. I'm definitely going to open and read with them then.

MoonGypsy, since they are repro decks, I am now curious to see pictures of the originals. May I ask, are there generally many different reproductions of these decks? I guess what I'm asking is how do I know (I just want to try to look at photos) when I see the original online? On "The Ancient Tarot of Lombardy," I saw another deck on eBay named differently, with the exact same pictures.

Thanks so much again!!!

ana luisa

Beautiful decks. Too beautiful to yellow without a human touch. And an occasional reading ;) Thank you for sharing the pics!!

agviz

Personally, I would open and use them. In a sense, they don't exist until they're appreciated, minimally for their art alone, or ultimately to also read with.

I have an old deck printed in the 1880s. Recently a friend stopped by while on vacation and I did a reading for her with this deck. It was a happy opportunity for us both. It's nice to think this old deck is still alive by giving readings and bringing some joy to a whole new generation, rather than sitting on a shelf, gathering dust and going untouched because it's a "collector's item". How sad that would be.

Achlys

I would definitely open and use them...to me, there's no value in a tarot deck that can't be used. as much as people are collectors, what good is a collection if it just sits in a box and looks pretty?

Dee Ell

I would definitely open and use them...to me, there's no value in a tarot deck that can't be used. as much as people are collectors, what good is a collection if it just sits in a box and looks pretty?

I would also argue that it can't even "look pretty" sitting in a box because you are only looking at the box 😂