tarot apps - what is your favourite/least preferred and why

shadowdancer

There is a LoScabeo app which is quite clunky. I purchased it because I have LS decks that I love but I think the LS app developer tried to do much with this one. It is very, very clunky. I deleted the app after a while.

In my experience, the best developer is 'The Fool's Dog'. He has done a few decks now, including some in-demand recent ones.

The Osho Zen app is excellent.

The 'Tarot of the Crone' is a must-have as well but I think it was one of the earlier ones and the use of a grey background for text and the sized of the text is a disadvantage.

and there lies the frustration...lol. I have android only, and would have jumped at the Osho Zen app - but it is apple app only by the looks of it. This is partly why I posted the question - it helps us establish what is available in what format, and what is generally well received / what isn't.

Davina

ETA: It is available on android, but there are issues with it... not able to save a reading, and not able to create own spreads. If those features are updated I may be interested, but it is expensive compared to some others available. Will check occasionally to see if it is updated.

Egypt Urnash

I've contemplated doing it, I need to talk with LS first. It's been low-priority, I have a graphic novel I'm drawing and art for a couple of conventions that ended up happening at about the same time.

I don't think I'd want to add little bits of animation to the things, because my personal standards would make me spend a LOT of effort doing feature-quality stuff. The gloss however is doable - remember, phones and tablets can tell if they're being tilted, and what kind of light is falling on them! Apple already did something similar with some controls in iOS6. (Which I haven't seen yet because I ain't giving up my jailbreak.)

Glass Owl

When I ditched my iPhone for an android I wasn't expecting so few Tarot/oracle choices. I miss my Tao Oracle app the most. Basically the only apps I have now is one paid app for runes and a free one for Tarot (both by Galaxy). I'd really like to see Ciro's decks hit the android app market.

ilweran

iDevices - best apps I've tried are Ciro's apps. Beautifully done, done. Worst was the Mystic Faery, just because as far as I can see the Llewellyn tarot apps are all basically the same rather than each one having graphics designed for the deck if you know what I mean.

Android - best app is the Baroque Bohemian Cats :D Love it, love having the card for the day as a widget. Also the people who make it make a version of their software that you can load your own images into, not tried it yet, but intend to at some point. No other Android tarot apps have created enough of an impression for me to comment on them.

momentarylight

Osho Zen iPhone app updated

The Osho Zen app has been improved to allow the saving of spreads and the easy transfer via social media or email.

One of the first and best tarot apps has now got better :)

kalliope

When I ditched my iPhone for an android I wasn't expecting so few Tarot/oracle choices. I miss my Tao Oracle app the most. Basically the only apps I have now is one paid app for runes and a free one for Tarot (both by Galaxy). I'd really like to see Ciro's decks hit the android app market.

I believe another thread mentioned that Ciro's apps will be coming to the Android market. I don't think an exact timeline was mentioned, but you can at least look forward to it!

I love my Android devices (even though I'm a Mac computer girl), but I am very jealous of the deck-specific apps out there for the iOS world, like the Wildwood, Prairie, Holy Light, Rosetta, ISIS Marseille, Alchemical Renewed, Ciro's decks, Morgan Greer. :mad: I'd love the Silicon Dawn, too!

That aside, Tarot Touche is my favorite, along with Galaxy Tarot Pro. I'm looking forward to the updates from Galaxy with additional card meanings for reversed cards. I just recently found a new app, Tarotia, which is worth checking out, even though it doesn't currently beat out the other two. For whatever reason, I enjoy having excellent card interpretations on my tarot apps, even though I never really refer to books often when I'm reading for myself with physical cards. Weird, I know.

I also love having the Liberus decks available just because I love having the card images for those decks. The app itself isn't quite as sleek or complex as the others, but you can't beat having high resolution images of the Flornoy Marseille decks, the Vacchetta, etc.

NumerologyCalculator

I use Beautiful Tarot / Tarot HD for iPhone and iPad.

I really like it and use it quite a bit for readings.

Sar

UPDATE: If anyone has the tarot touche, and would like to see it enhanced in any, the developer is looking to do so. They are taking feedback / suggestions and currently reviewing them, with a view to making some changes - they hope for the new year.

It was heartening to actually have a reply from the developer of an app, and the reply came with in 48 hours of my initial contact. They really do want to make this a comprehensive tarot app, taking into account as many requests as if realistically possible.

Davina

Where to contact them?

Ace of Stars

I did have the free version of galaxy tarot app for android, but found the tarot touche better, so purchase the full version of that. I think what put me off galaxy tarot was the fact it tried to be too much. I do not want to have links with astrology / runes / crystals / chakra / i-ching etc. I want it to be primarily a tarot app. If I want to have a rune app, or i-ching app I would look for those specifically.

Also, the fact the reversal option is possible but is extremely limited. One aspect being, there are no key words for reversals, should they appear. TBH I would not be bothered by that, but those new to tarot and are using this app may find that a bit strange. Why would you use the upright meaning for the reversal?

Hello!

I'm a writer/researcher/designer for Galaxy Tarot.

Regarding the first paragraph above, I just want to be clear that Galaxy Tarot is not a runes app + iching app + astrology app, etc.. It's simply that we offer an encyclopedia that has associations with each Tarot card. For example, if you want to learn more about the Fool card, you can go into the encyclopedia and learn that The Fool is traditionally associated with Uranus, the rune, mannaz, and hexagram number 25. We don't offer rune divination or horoscopes through Galaxy Tarot (however we do have a separate app: Galaxy Runes, if you want it). Galaxy Tarot and Galaxy Tarot Pro are definitely primarily Tarot apps!

Regarding the reversed card positions, it's true that formerly our information was incomplete. We were using A. E. Waite's original interpretations and interpretations from Tarotpedia. Both, while charming, were inconsistent in terms of reversed meanings. That has come to an end with our release of Galaxy Tarot Pro 2.0 (free version to follow within a couple of weeks.) We now offer our own complete interpretations of every card, upright and reversed.

I also just want to add that as the communications person from Galaxy Tone Software I love receiving feedback -- both positive and constructively critical, and that with each new update we are implementing user suggested changes. I tend to reply to every email I get within 48 hours.

mrpants

Has anyone tried the PicTarot app for iPhone?