the Jungian tarot by Robert Wang

yogiman

I have a discussion at the Thoth forum, and would like to have confirmed that Robert Wang states at the end of his book - the Jungian Tarot- that the old attributions of the pip cards were just arbitrary. The book is not anymore in my possession, so I like to ask, whether someone can cite the exact wording.

rwcarter

From page 132 of the Urania Verlags AG edition of the Jungian Tarot companion book at the beginning of the section titled, Rationale for the Assignment of Attributions to the Court and Minor Cards:
It is clear today that some of the most commonly-accepted ideas about Tarot, especially those of late nineteenth century French and English occultists, were an arbitrary attempt to create a "secret tradition" where, as history demonstrates, none actually existed.

Zephyros

This does not mean, however, that they were arbitrary, merely that the GD, like all occult societies before it, like the Rosicrucians, attempted to gain legitimacy by stating they were the successors of older traditions. Arbitrary means without thought or system.

ravenest

Oh ... I will have to put that on my list of Wang's wackies ( Wang's mistakes )

I know ... I know .... I should stop picking on Wang (especially when one of his blunders supported on of my 'crazy theories' ;) ) .

Richard

After creating the Golden Dawn Tarot, I understand that there was something of a falling out between Robert Wang and Israel Regardie over the artistic merit of Wang's deck. This may account for Wang's abandonment of that tarot system, for which he had done such a monumental amount of hard work, on the tarot deck as well as his authoritative book, Qabalistic Tarot. The occult world is littered with such unfortunate events.

The ego keeps getting in the way of truth. Too few occultists seem to have passed through the Veil of Paroketh, which separates the ego from the realization of the true inner self.

Mycroft

This does not mean, however, that they were arbitrary, merely that the GD, like all occult societies before it, like the Rosicrucians, attempted to gain legitimacy by stating they were the successors of older traditions. Arbitrary means without thought or system.
Is it possible that Wang is using 'Arbitary' here in the other sense of the word; "Not limited by law; unrestrained and autocratic in the use of authority." This would seem to fit quite well with the idea of the older "Secret Traditions" and their (frequently) megalomaniac rulers.

Zephyros

Is it possible that Wang is using 'Arbitary' here in the other sense of the word; "Not limited by law; unrestrained and autocratic in the use of authority." This would seem to fit quite well with the idea of the older "Secret Traditions" and their (frequently) megalomaniac rulers.

Possibly, although I get the feeling OP meant random, or not thought out, or haphazard. I might be mistaken. Certainly the Golden Dawn, like any occult society worth its salt, claimed its systems were the "true attributions" and that they made "discoveries," but that's to be expected from anyone in the business, and is so ubiquitous an attitude that it is almost mandatory.

I'm not lying if I say my pasta sauce is the best in the world, communicated to me by divine inspiration; I am merely a bit misguided and closed-minded.

yogiman

Just read straight without biased bending and interpreting.

In what context was Wang making this statement? Seems he wanted to downplay the golden dawn attributions in favour of those of his new deck. Or at least have a pretext for his new assignments.

Mycroft

Just read straight without biased bending and interpreting
You appear to misunderstand. That is what I was attempting to do, and hence my query seeking clarification.

treedog

I have a discussion at the Thoth forum, and would like to have confirmed that Robert Wang states at the end of his book - the Jungian Tarot- that the old attributions of the pip cards were just arbitrary. The book is not anymore in my possession, so I like to ask, whether someone can cite the exact wording.

Yogiman,

If I'm not mistaken I believe the quote to which you refer is in regards to astrological correspondences being arbitrary. As you can see in the Jungian deck Wang has developed a system that is far more straight forward. Although I rather like the GD approach.