Nine of Swords: Ruminations re. Worry

lark

bellatrix said:
. Temperance mentioned the astrology signs on the blanket. Do these have any significance at all?
Found this in "Spiritual Tarot" by Echols, Mueller and Thomson.

"The quilt covering her legs has red roses embroidered in the yellow squares, indicating passion backed by intellect, and astrological signs, standing for aspects of her personality, embrodered on its blue squares of awareness."

"The base of the bed is carved with images, possibly mythogical ones.
The scene on the base of the bed suggests that a myth or script we live by is an underlying factor in shaping our ideas about ourselves and whats ahead."

This book also suggests that the swords are hanging to represent "hang-ups" from the past.

Centaur

bellatrix said:
However, aside from all the doom and gloom the bedspread with the yellow spuares and red flowers for me, sheds a bit of light on the card. Maybe if she took her hands away from her face, she could see things might not be as bad as she thinks and that there is light on the otherside of darkness.

I think that this could also represent the fact that there is comfort to be taken in difficult times: perhaps from friends, or family.

I was also thinking that the nine swords look almost like a ladder: the ladder of escalating anxiety and worry. Anxious thoughts usually start off as quite small niggling worries, and then manifest themselves into greater and greater worries, until they can overwhelm and make one's life a complete and utter misery. Perhaps the nine steps on the ladder of swords could signify this escalating thought-process?

Centaur

poivre

Yaboot001 has done a thread on 9 of swords a while ago.
It's good also, check it out!

Susi

so here, this is one other thread talking about the swords_IX http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15934
i have drawn it as today's card and i confess that it corresponds to quite a lot of perspectives in my life. it reminds me of my sleeplessness and of sorrows which cant be resolved at once.
have you ever noticed the two persons being in a battle at the side of the bed? it seems to be a remaining picture of her nightmare.
sometimes i even think of the other part of the bed being a second peacefully sleeping (or snoring) person.

crazy raven

How about:
the swords are pointing east, toward the light; this indicates new beginnings in the dawning new day.

Yes, this makes a lot of sense to me.

I always carry a mini deck of the RWS and met a woman unknown to me on the train, who, as we chatted about one thing and another, asked if she could choose a tarot card and my interpretation of it.

After shuffling and fanning the deck, she chose the 9 of Swords. My first thoughts were, oh gawd not that card! But as I looked at the card and picked up on her energy, it seemed to indicate that although she'd been through a lot of despair and inner anguish, the planets/signs originally on the quilt had since shifted and changed, not only giving her a reprieve but a clearer understanding of what had been too painful to deal with in the recent past. (swords above the bed).

I also like what lark wrote, regarding the book, The Spiritual Tarot

The base of the bed is carved with images, possibly mythogical ones.
The scene on the base of the bed suggests that a myth or script we live by is an underlying factor in shaping our ideas about ourselves and whats ahead."

treedog

some astrology...

I'm fairly new to this and just beginning to explore the astrological correspondences. Tarot is bringing me to Astrology.

In the GD system the 9 of Swords would be Mars and Gemini (2nd decanate). Meditation on this card then might involve The Tower (Mars) and The Lovers (Gemini). For me, waking from the nightmare of the 9 of Swords could require a good marriage (loving relationship) between conscious and sub-conscious, or any other internal polarities, less the Martian powers divide and destory the mind through obsessive worry and rumination.

Arial360

Response

There is a lack of external influences affecting the figure in the card. This is a replica of one projecting what could be and it is likely the past conditioning is an influence.

"fear of the worst outcome" comes to mind. Facing Fear.

You have know acquired the Information about an endeavor you started and have reached a culmination of events that will lead to the overall completion of a cycle in that endeavor. There is some responsibility as choices were made through the many stages of the cycle.

Look at the situation for what it is in fact and write down the facts and circumstances objectively. You may be making a "mountain out of a molehill".