RWS Magician - table edge

tarotbear

Of course, closrapexa's interpretation works too. Also, don't forget the Tzaddi [size=+1]צ [/size] (Star) and Kaph [size=+1]כ [/size] (Wheel of Fortune) on the Wand.

In your section of the table, the letters 'D I N' are very clear - but are in Arabic, not Hebrew ?

Richard

Thank you, LRichard for Tzaddi and Kaph - which are also just blobs on the chart.
Yes, to me also they are just blobs on the map of life. Tzaddi means fish hook, and Kaph means closed hand. I don't know why they are on the Magician's wand. Maybe it's a fishing pole?

Richard

In your section of the table, the letters 'D I N' are very clear - but are in Arabic, not Hebrew ?
I think it is just the English transliteration of the Hebrew (or it could be Pixie doodles). I have no idea what the equivalent Arabic would be. Closrapexa might know.

I have the giant Rider-Waite. It's great for stuff like this.

tarotbear

I have the Giant RWS, too.

I meant - the letters on the table leg are not Hebrew alphabet lettering but actually "D I N". Roppo just posted a pic of Pixie's 1909 drawing of the Magician in the thread on the USG copyright - the clearity of the detail is GORGEOUS! The Magician even has eyes! I will be using that version to clarify the flora at the bottom of my X-Stitch piece! You can actually see Lily of the Valley!

Attachments

• 1909 original PCS.jpg
    1909 original PCS.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 154

Richard

I'm not real sure about DIN. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't. The bird, cat, and waves are very clear in that 1909 drawing.

Zephyros

Lewis Carroll said:
Mock Turtle
Oh, as to the whiting, they—you’ve seen them, of course?

Alice
Yes, I’ve often seen them at din—
[Checks herself hastily.]

Mock Turtle
I don’t know where Din may be, but if you’ve seen them so often, of course you know what they’re like...

This is unhelpful
:D

Amanda

What are the symbols on the edge of the Magician's table? (attached) It looks like 3 out of 4 elemental symbols - probably mountains for Earth, flames for Fire, and a bird for Air?

Never even tried to notice this before tb.

With my limited knowledge, I would see the symbols from left to right as representing water, fire, and air. I would then assume that the table on which they are etched is the representative for earth.

Parzival

RWS Magician Table Edge Symbols

Never even tried to notice this before tb.

With my limited knowledge, I would see the symbols from left to right as representing water, fire, and air. I would then assume that the table on which they are etched is the representative for earth.

Good Observation! -- We have water, fire, air, earth, all four elements. The Magician learns to work with these. But how and why does the Magician focus his magical skills on the four elements? I know this question is a big one, warranting another thread, perhaps.

Richard

Quin

Good Observation! -- We have water, fire, air, earth, all four elements. The Magician learns to work with these. But how and why does the Magician focus his magical skills on the four elements?......
Why not? What else is there? The Quintessence? Paraphrasing DuQuette: It's all in your head anyhow.

Parzival

RWS Magician

Why not? What else is there? The Quintessence? Paraphrasing DuQuette: It's all in your head anyhow.

Well, it's the table and on the side of the table, too. And there are other elements (no pun intended) to the universe. And there is the Magician, getting ready to do what....