Jenny-Li

You bet! By now y'all know I can't keep my mouth shut (or my fingers still, for that matter...!), so I'm pretty sure I will!

Jenny :D

Kaz

hi jenny welcome, indeed please post away :)

kaz

Angel Star

I am seriously contemplating getting this book. I would like to see some feedback on why this book is so popular. It would be greatly appreciated. That way I can decide to buy the book or not at this time. Money is tight and its between a deck or the book and this group. I have read some post and it all looks so interesting. What makes this book different? Very Curious.

Kaz

jewel? come to rescue here !!!
i am not good at writing reviews, as english is not my first language.
i can tell you its a great book, you can use it with any deck, and i mean any here !!! so that's why its a great investment :)
what we do here is discovering the deck we use, guided by the things RP writes in her book, she uses the waite/smith as example, and also there are other deck pictures to compare. it makes you think about your own deck, how it works. why things are in the images, what they stand for, all that stuff.
you might get a better impression when i post in the chap4 thread my results of the templar deck. just give me a couple of days.

kaz

Angel Star

Sounds good so far. I have read the reviews on this book but alot of times I get books and they are just not up to what others say they are. I just purchased Tarot Reversals which makes me want to purchase Tarot for Yourself to better understand where the writer is coming from. I swear you get into tarot and its like an addiction lol! So many good and bad books out there and you feel like you want them all! I will have to go back to Amazon and check this book out again. Thanks for info :)

Jewel

Kaz sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your request for assistance.

Angel Star, I have to echo what Kaz has told you. We have chosen to use this book as a "text" to study various decks by comparing them to the Raider Waite and the material presented in the book. I do not think there is anyone even using a Raider Waite deck in the study group (if I mis-spoke sorry). Decks that I recall being used are the Robin Wood, Templar, Cosmic Tribe, Legends, and I am not sure what others at the moment. What we have found in our discussions and in doing exercises is an increased understanding in the decks we are using. So in summary, the material in this book can be applied and expand your understanding of your favorite decks.

I have also found Tarot for Yourself very helpful as I really enjoy the workbook approach. There are parts I find irrelevant, but that is due to my own tastes - those sections of the book I will not work with at this time. Hope this helps!

Jeanette

Here I go again, with my library litany!!! If your public library can, have them get a copy of this book for you (it may be in two volumes if it's an older edition). If your local library doesn't have it, ask if they can get it through inter-library loan (ILL). I live in Pennsylvania and work for a library; we have gotten books from all over the country for patrons, even college and university libraries have sent materials to us. This is a great way to preview books before you buy them! Give it a try! Best of luck! :)

Angel Star

Ok you guys I am convinced this is the next tarot book to buy since I hear such great feedback about it. I will soon be joining this group if I am welcome to as soon as I order the book! Ok all looking forward to this thread very much.

Kaz

welcome anytime angelstar :)

kaz

AzulDancer

an impromptu 'review' for angelstar

for me, the value of this book lies in the fact that rachel uses symbology & mythology to go into the tarot with a lot of depth. she talks about her personal experience with discovering, learning about them, learning to read them, and readings she's done for friends, family & clients.

i worked in a bookstore when i got addicted to tarot so i had the opportunity to buy lots of books & decks. sallie nichols and angeles arrien are the only other authors i've found who use the same depth as rachel. nichols, from a jungian perspective, and arrien from cultural anthropology. rachel seems to be less dry in her writing, though. imho!

you could spend a lifetime getting to know the cards from the perspective rachel writes from. trust me, it's all there!

i think you would do well to make the monetary sacrifice for this one, and if you're truly looking for a 'guide to life' approaching it from a 'rachel p.o.v' will surely be the guide you need.
since she also wrote the readers' guide & an in-depth analysis of hermann haindl's paintings for the haindl deck, i'd also suggest getting those, too. perhaps at a later date, when money's flowing freer?

good luck, and welcome to the discussion!