Robin Wood Tarot - The Book

Jenny-Li

Just got it today, have (obviously!) not read it yet, just had to say a few words about my first impression of this book.

I love the way she explains how and why she did the cards as she did them, explain the process in which she created the images - that is SOOOOOO interesting. She even has an appendix with sketches, and earlier versions that were later rejected, and a few words on why she decided against those versions. *wow...!*

That is so great, this is the approach I've missed with other decks, I mean why didn't O'Leary/Godino make a book like this about the World Spirit Tarot? There's so much thought behind those works of art that's just lost, when they have so much to add...! Perhaps not to the reading itself, but for getting close to the deck and the Tarot in general... We all perceive stuff in different manners, I probably won't agree with everything Ms Wood thinks, but knowing what she thought when making a card, will definitely help me relate to it!

SO! Here's my question for you folks: Do you know any other authors/deck creators that take this approach? Am I the only one who thinks this is a great way of presenting a deck? Would you say it could be bad for the intuitive part of reading, that I might get too colored by what the artist thinks/thought? (Personally I don't think so, but who knows, right? And as always, I'm curious to know what people think!)

Light and love,
Jenny :)

Lee

Hi, just a few words about the cover of the Robin Wood Tarot book --

The book is actually published by Robin Wood's own company, so I guess she's the one responsible.

It does say in the book that because of fibromyalgia she had to stop drawing, so I think she does everything now by computer graphics. This doesn't speak to the esthetics of her choices, but at least it explains the diference in style between the book cover and her older work.

-- Lee :)

Jenny-Li

Lee said:
Hi, just a few words about the cover of the Robin Wood Tarot book --

The book is actually published by Robin Wood's own company, so I guess she's the one responsible.

It does say in the book that because of fibromyalgia she had to stop drawing, so I think she does everything now by computer graphics. This doesn't speak to the esthetics of her choices, but at least it explains the diference in style between the book cover and her older work.

-- Lee :)

I feel terrible for her, it's a dreadful decease, my dad's SO has it... I still can't make the connection though, I'd think an artist in pain would go with the "less is more"-style, rather than overdo things, especially since that doesn't at all seem to be her artistic style...

Well, the cover isn't the book, and as I said I *love* her approach, the way she presents the cards and her creation, which was the real topic of my thread, the cover-thing was just my aestetic eye that had to whine for a few seconds... Meant nothing with it, I don't buy books to look at the cover, but to dwell in their contents!! :D I will definitely be able to do some dwelling in this one!

Light and love,

HudsonGray

Yes, I met her at a Pennsylvania event (she lives in Michigan I think). The disease is fairly far progressed in her, she said she had a hard time learning how to do things by mouse that used to be done with brushes & isn't happy with the transitional work, but is getting better with what she's able to do now.

Her output isn't anywhere near what it was back in the 1980's, but that's to be expected. At least she hasn't given art up completely!

truthsayer

i have been trying to get this book from amazon but recently found out it's no longer available. i wonder if it's still possible to get a copy from her website. i hope her illness isn't why the book isn't being offered right now. i feel for her b/c i have fms, too. i have had periods of terrible pain but right now the worse part has been devastating fatigue. it really irks me that part of medical establishment doesn't even consider it a true disease. it saddens me that she can't do art like she once did. let's all pray for a cure.

HudsonGray

I found my copy at a half price book store & snapped it up pronto! Check out those, or try online at www.half.com for low cost books, it might be over there.

kayne

Hmm... I really must get this book! Thanks for your first impressions Jenny-Li :D

Jenny-Li

I've started to read a few pages now, and what can I say - I like it more every minute. She has a way of writing so personally, it's like she's writing a letter for a very close friend - me! I know that sound odd, but that's the feeling I get when reading this book, I love the way she is THERE in what she writes.

The foreword is brilliant... :D Get it Kayne, I'll bet you will like it! (And anyone else too, of course...!)

Truthsayer: Don't give up, if I could get it in just a few weeks to Sweden, it shouldn't be impossible for you to find a copy...! And her web site still seems to have it - or at least it doesn't say they don't... Good luck - it's worth looking for! (she says knowingly after reading four pages....!!)

Jenny

Kiama

Jenny-Li said:
Would you say it could be bad for the intuitive part of reading, that I might get too colored by what the artist thinks/thought? (Personally I don't think so, but who knows, right? And as always, I'm curious to know what people think!)

Light and love,

With Robin Wood's deck, (This becomes apparant after reading the book through... couple of times for me!) she has included tiny details, which, she says in the book, will attract your attention, or call out to you specifically if this card comes up in a reading, and the detail has some important meaning to convey to you... For instance, I'm not sure if she actually says this, but you might read something along the lines of, 'You will notice that each cup on the Eight of Cups has a different colourstone embedded in it. You may find in a readng, that you eye is drawn to a particular cup, and you should pay attention to this, and work out what it means to you with relevance to the reading...' That wasn't a very good example, but there are quite a few of these in the book. I think this is an excellent way of maintianing the intuitive approach, even though the artist is giving you her meanings for each card...

Kiama

Maan

I agree with Kiama
Its what makes this deck that good.
I remember reading in here book about the queen of pentacles. She is portraited with a lot of couples around here.( two snake's, two yellow flowers etc) When that catches yor eye's it means that this person might be a matchmaker....
That hint helped me a coulpe of times!