Melissa's Lenormand (in progress)

Debra

These are really appealing, Mel!

Ashtaroot

they are beautiful, great job:thumbsup:
I would want one when your done :)

firefrost

Wow - looking forward to seeing the finished product - well done!

prudence

I really like what you are doing here, love the older look of the cards and the background designs. I am definitely interested in getting one when they are completed.

tarotmama

Thanks everyone!

Right now, unfortunately, I don't know how I could ever print them. I don't even have a color printer at my house and I've been having my husband print paper proofs at his office on the sly! I was thinking about using them to do online readings -- my hubby is a web-developer so he could put together some kind of free instant reading site with the meanings in the can, you know?

I have three more cards I feel confident enough to post now. The Bird, House and Moon card.

I'm also working on a revision of the Lily, based on some suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Please do send me any constructive criticism you might have.

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 151
  • house.jpg
    house.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 149
  • moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 153

prudence

tarotmama said:
Thanks everyone!

Right now, unfortunately, I don't know how I could ever print them. I don't even have a color printer at my house and I've been having my husband print paper proofs at his office on the sly! I was thinking about using them to do online readings -- my hubby is a web-developer so he could put together some kind of free instant reading site with the meanings in the can, you know?

I have three more cards I feel confident enough to post now. The Bird, House and Moon card.

I'm also working on a revision of the Lily, based on some suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Please do send me any constructive criticism you might have.
All of those are fantastic, especially that House!

thorhammer

That House card is divine! I'm used to seeing two birds on the Birds card, but I guess that's a matter of what you're accustomed to, isn't it? It's very pretty, and I love that you've not "Tarot-ed up" the Moon card. Lovely.

I suppose there's no need to think about printing until you're done, is there :)

I've always wondered if those companies that print business cards would be able to reconfigure their equipment to do Tarot and Oracle cards. I once went to a printing company, one that also did graphic design for websites and brochures and stuff. All I needed him to do was to print out some pics of toucans for me (long story), but he was very helpful, enthusiastic about getting the layout and colours right, pedantic about the paper we used, and reasonable in his pricing. I got the impression that he took immense pride in his work and also in being creative . . . maybe someone like that could help you?

\m/ Kat

canid

I REALLY like your style; I can't really describe it because it's very unique. It has Victorian elements, art nouveau, expressionism, surrealism, etc. Personally, I think it'll be a hit with a publisher. I love the background design/colors, etc. I don't think you need to worry about anyone stealing it; I'm an artist & am (hahaha) working on a tarot deck, but my style is completely different & you have your originals, you can prove ownership. It'd be a pain in the behind to have to do so but I don't think it'll be necessary. Maybe posting them will motivate you to complete them? I know I work reaaaallly slow & need a kick in the behind.

It's really cool & good luck!

Debra

These are just wonderful! I like the layering and your excellent sense of color and composition. They have a visual depth. One is better than the next.

tarotmama

I guess it would be fair to say the cards are at best "inspired" by the Lenormand deck. The other deck that I'm using as inspiration is the Whitman Old Gypsy Fortune Telling Cards deck. So my cards are sort of a synthesis of those two.

I started with the Lenormand -- the only one I have is the Lo Scarabeo French Cartomancy Mini deck and book. I have *tried* to get into them but they're just SO BORING to me. The images seemed stale to me, I guess.

I like the Old Gypsy Fortune cards too, but they are kind of weird. Some of the cards are goofy and I don't think the deck works for me the same way the Lenormand system does -- but I appreciate how the symbols are more updated.

So my process has been to pick a card from the Lenormand deck, study it and then search through my digital ephemera folders to find the right images. I put the pictures I like in folders for each card and then I try to put them together in a way I find inspiring. For a few of the cards, I picked an image that was probably very non-traditional and let it dictate the flavor of the card. An example would be the bear and the bird. The source images are from an old grade school text book. I was totally in love with the pictures and had to use them!

I'm also taking liberties with the card titles. Anchor became Roots. Cross will be Wheel. The Coffin will become a gravestone. I am waffling on the Stork card. I have a nice image in mind, but it's pretty small and I'm not sure I can get the resolution I need out of it to use it on my card. I'm not crazy about storks either -- but that's just because I was attacked by one as a small child ;) Not sure about the Tower because that word is a tarot trigger for me. Kind of tempted to use Crotch instead of Crossroads... lol just kidding!

I also like some of the cards in the Gypsy deck, like Train and Clasped Hands -- but I haven't quite figured out whether they will replace or be incorporated into other cards in my deck.

And I haven't numbered my cards yet either -- but that may or may not happen when I have them all finished! :)