Queen of Cups: thoughts?

Acting_girl

Interesting reading all the views, and how everyone sees something at least a little different. I guess thats personal interpretation for you! We are all individual.

I'm wondering how people FEEL themselves when they look at the card. I've not been happy for some time looking at the 'blades/crayfish/arms' of the cup. I don't like the black or the shape of them. But I'm happy with the Queen herself. She looks to me to be in control or herself, not at all afraid of those sharp apendages, staring. Almost mesmorising.

By the way, I'm sure I read somewhere that those 'arms' are meant to be angels, and if I look at them I can see that - the curved shape being the wing. Quite different from blades or pincers. Still don't like the look of the thing tho' - it almost looks like an alien to me, with its arms and chunky head. There is a cross on the top which could tie in with the angels.

ScarabFlight

Feeling

I see the angels in the cup and can only vaguely see them as claws. For me it seems like a good card except for the look on her face. It's kinda like she either A) doesn't like what she sees in the cup, B) is concentrating really hard and can't quite seem to see anything or C) she sees something but can't quite figure out what the heck it is. Maybe she's really thirsty and can't figure out how to get the water out of the cup. lol

Is that a little fish down on the sand on the bottom right hand side? It's a little indistinct because of the coloring. Any thoughts?

Acting_girl

I like the concentrating bit - now its reminding me of my expression sometimes when I'm concentrating! In which case, I think maybe she is just concentrating, not angry or fearful or anything. Perhaps she is holding a chalice to do with spirituality re the angels and the cross. It looks very heavy to me, yet she holds most of the weight on one hand.

I had a look at another deck I have but have never used - the medicine woman tarot - and the 'Queen' there is called the 'Nurturing lodge of the bowls'. Its amazing how totally different the cards look. In the accompanying book it talks of entering the lodge of spiritual family. I can't quite get a grip on it yet. I'm only starting to get a feel for the RW Queen as I see her -a caring, spiritual person, a 'yin' being rather than yang, arty rather than scientific - and the other deck needs more time spent on it.

I can't figure out whether what you mention is a fish or not, but if the tide is coming in the lady might get wet if she doesn't move soon. I take it we have the same deck - I have the original RW.

ScarabFlight

It has the plaid type back and it's not the Universal or the Radiant or anything.

I like what you said about her having to move if the tide is coming in. The water does look like it's moving. lol Maybe the tide just went out and left her there deposited on the shore?

Acting_girl

lol.. Magically floating in like a queen...Now I feel irreverent talking about her like this!!

It sounds like we have the same deck. I think I need a break from the QofC though. The way my readings have been going lately I'm not sure I can read a book let alone a tarot card! Maybe I need a boost from a visit to Glastonbury...

Dexter

They ar angels with their hands held together to pray. The to me reiminds of a religious object. It does hav ethe crosson the top and the angels praying. It is also closed. The clasp of the Queens robe is not a rose but a red shell. Another water sign.

The Queen of cups has always remind me of someone who is very emotional but keeps this under a lid. Her emotions are constanly changing (flowing one into the other) but due to her role she is forced to try and keep everything constant. The scowl to me as she lookks at the lidded cup shows that she is not happy in this role. She would like to be free to express her emotions as they emerge. The fact that she sits perched very near the water but on stony ground tells me againtht she is not happy in her role that it dosen't sit well with her. The top of her chair is also inset with a shell with the merchildren on either side holding it.

She reminds me of someone that is doing what she feels to be her calling, her duty rather than what she wants

SeaPrism

Queen of Cups

I learn so much of everyone's perspectives, especially on this card. I guess, for me, this card has represented someone who is nurturing and spiritual... The cup is very ornate = enormous value and complexity of her emotions... the cross on top = spirituality and reverence for them. The 2 angels on the arms of the cup are about the duality of emotions, they are dark to represent of the shadow/unconcious side of these (maybe even having angels on each shoulder whispering two different things?). They are guarding the cup = guard our emotions, protect with our higher self. Her cup is lidded and her face seems concerned = aware of the danger in uncovering some emotions, or in not preparing properly for them, "spilling" them...containment is important to her. She is using two hands, although the way she is holding her hands depicts that it may not be as heavy as it looks, it still must be carefully balanced and tenderly cared for.

Her hair is braided = she is in control of herself or at least wants to appear that way. Something else just occurred to me...emotions as "choices" for an outcome (hence the dualities)?

I see the little squiggly thing in the sand on the lower right corner of the card might be a fish, a dead one?! And her gown on her legs looks like it's wet and clinging...If so perhaps the tide is going out and so "uncovering" some things we may not like to see... but the pebbles are quite pretty, like jewels, so some things we DO want to see. Hmmm the "uncovering" tide is in contrast to the "covered" cup!

It looks to me like her watery gown (very much like the base of gown of the High Priestess) is flowing right down away into the water, very unlike her cup which is rigid, angular and tightly enclosed so as not to let anything flow out...duality again.

Strong angry water makes a sharp cliff, gentle persevering water makes a smooth stone...

She is comfortable in the midst of the ebb and flow of emotions, but knows which ones to "keep a lid on"! Understands the destructive AND formative power of water...

Just my nickel :)

tmgrl2

OK....for me...culling from various sources, Queens and Kings are people who know their place in the world...I do like to think of the court cards as people....

RW QueenCups is surrounded by water nymphs...is at the edge of water (emotions) yet she sits firmly on her throne on land...
Eden Gray talks about the
cup shaped like a eucharistic emblem, after the manner of a ciborium. The cup is closed, signifying that what it contains is not to be seen by all.

Solid mother figure? firmly planted on terra firma...but surrounded with deep motherly emotions...

compassionate...confidante.....empathetic

Kate Warwick-Smith:
The Queen of Cups Speaks: My throne is on the shifting sands of the shore. Shells are my emblem, opening an closing to the rhythm of my heart. I know my tides and follow their rhythms. My love is contained yet steady, forming a reservoir of compassion for others to be soothed by.
In my negative (RX?) aspect I become lost in the churning sea of emotions. Who am I. I feel powerless and victimized by the turbulent waters. I feel overwhelmed and see no way to help myself. I succumb and give myself to the mercy of others.

I like this quote...bringing in aspects of the ciborium...

Greer:
Water of Water. Channels feelings, emotions, dreams, visions. She is the Muse, the Enchantress. She is psychic and deeply emotional, fluctuating like the moon in her emotions. She must be near water and reflects the unconscious in others. She is usually empathetic and understanding but can be moody and deceitful. Love of love....
Of course RXd....vamp, seductruss, hpersensitive, clinging, moody, smothering parent..
(again M. Greer)

Bunning...supports the loving, tenderhearted, intuitive, psychic and spritual woman.....moved by the beauty and tragedy of life...

I like these interpretations because of the Water of Water, a woman asking us to be aware of one's emotions and emotional climate.

From our elders of symbolism...what are the "symbols" on the ciborium? Pluto split ...half on each side? Fire and Water?

firecatpickles

I see the queen of wands as the sexual one that could have sex with you one day and leave you the next
I disagree.

As Water's water, The Queen of Cups could be the one who calculatingly searches for the right person for the job of inseminating her -someone very particular about what happens to her body and very clear intentions. She is in control of her emotions, hence the pyx she holdeth, which enshrineth the mysteries of the transubstantiation.

She is not the passionate Queen of Wands, who may sleep with the first person she sleeps with, or the Queen of Pentalces who chooses a sexual victim. She is the opposite of the Ice Princess of the (rev.) Queen of Swords.

cdabs

Queen Of Cups

Hi! I just ran across this thread as I was trying to figure out what the little "fish-like" looking thing was on the bottom-right of the RWS Queen Of Cups card. I saw where "SeaPrism" had said (back in 2004):

"I see the little squiggly thing in the sand on the lower right corner of the card might be a fish, a dead one?! "

I, too, thought that (it was a fish), though it was tough to make out completely as a fish. In an odd way, it almost looked like a pirate's face to me (no kidding). I looked at my Radiant and Universal RWS decks and they MORE CLEARLY show this "thing" to be a small flower inside a conch shell (I believe). Check out this pic here:

http://www.digitarot.com/images/universal_waite/queen_of_cups.jpg

Also, check out the facial expressions of the two top "water nymphs." The Radiant and Original RWS decks show one of them with a scowling look and the other with a more positive or relaxed look.

This Queen ALWAYS reminds me of Princess Diana (looks like her, doesn't she?). Also...the cup looks like The Ark Of The Covenant from "Raiders Of The Lost Ark." This was said before by someone else in this thread. So...is this Queen harnessing the power/love/laws of God? It's within her hands...

Did you also notice that this Queen holds this cup much like the way the hand in the Ace of Cups is holding the cup (palm up)? All the others in the suit (holding cups) grip with the vertical/fist grip.

The "right" = action; the "left" = thought.

This Queen is cupping (palm-up) this cup in her RIGHT hand and touching it with her left (palm-down). I read somewhere where this Queen is about using intellect and love/compassion to create and "do." I totally see this.

Also...her cup is unique and unlike any of the other cups in the suit. She's an independent, creative, loving, compassionate person...and all she does, she does with love. She even sounds like Princess Diana (with all her charity work, etc.).

Mention was made of the pebbles at her feet (in this thread). They are smooth and round...as if "worn" (in a good way) by the ocean. Their once rough "stone" edges have been smoothed down..and they are not so hard and tough any more, but soft and pleasant to look at and touch.

I think this shows the positive effects of combining the water/intuition/love aspects with material/rational-thought/action....to produce a more well-rounded, neither hard,nor soft product...kind of a running theme in the Tarot: Balance.

Just my opinion.