Rachel Pollack- which book should I buy?

AlohaAngel

So I pretty much learned tarot from other readers, youtube, and Mary K. Greer books. I really want to read more, but the two major libraries I have cards for don't really carry many tarot books. I've noticed a lot of people discussing Rachel Pollack and how they really enjoy her books. Could someone recommend one title of hers for me? I know she has A New Handbook out, but I'm not sure if that would be too much of a beginner book for me. Thanks!

I'm also open to any other books you would suggest for someone intermediate/advanced. I like books with exercises, journal prompts, and use different systems like astrology or numerology. Thanks again!

RunningWild

I always liked Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom, though I also have a couple of her other books, that one seems to offer a few extra insights. Some think she tangents too much in her writing but I enjoyed reading it anyway.

I wanted Tarot for Magical Times for a while and finally received it for a gift, but I haven't found it anywhere near as interesting as I'd hoped.

I don't have Forest of Souls but others on here do and might be able to comment on it.

I do have Tarot Wisdom, but again, I don't find it all that useful.

As far as workbooks go for the more intermediate and advanced tarotist, Mary Greer's Tarot for Your Self is good.

And right now, I'm working through Tarot Decoded: Understanding and Using Dignities and Correspondences by Elizabeth Hazel which is, in my opinion, interesting enough.

SixDegrees

I second 78 Degrees. It is the most interesting of her offerings, and I picked up more than a few insights on the RWS from that book.

AlohaAngel

Thank you! I will be looking into that one then. I do own Tarot for Your Self, which I love. But I'm wondering if it is worth getting 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card.

RunningWild

I just got 21 Ways this year and haven't really spent a whole lot of time with it but it seems to have some good exercises. My problem is that I'm just not a good workbook person, but I keep them on hand in case one day I suddenly feel like doing the work. LOL

magpie9

I think 21 ways is an amazingly useful book to work with. Pick of the litter, I'd say. IMO, Greer is the better teacher, of the two. Pollack is more the Philosopher, more Esoteric, and if that's what you want, she's your girl, except for 78 degrees, which is much more practical and real-world based than the rest of her work. She also does great overview, in many of her books.

Le Fanu

I would like to step in here and say a word in favour of Tarot Wisdom...

I'm not a huge connoisseur of tarot books, I must admit - and tend to be select with my purchases so as not to clutter up the bookshelves with pointless crap (and there is a lot of it around. All those books with chapters on relationship spreads with photos of forlorn-looking girls...)

I was looking for a meaty, serious, in-depth tarot book and after much research decided to buy Tarot Wisdom and was surprised at how big it was when it arrived. It took me a while to wade through and - yes - I admit, I found it rather exasperating at first, a bit heavy going but I read it slowly, over a period of a year or more - dipping in - thinking carefully about what was written with long breaks.

I have to confess, I think it is such a deep, long-lasting tarot book. It unfolds slowly if you let it. There is so much depth and symbolism in there. Everything is beautifully elucidated.

You feel like you are in the company of a very great mind thinking out loud. I absolutely adore this book and go back to it again and again and again...There is so much there to enrich your thinking. It is so incredibly thorough; like an A-Z examination of the tarot deck from 78 perspectives. Imagine the whole of tarot seen from the perspective of the Fool, then The Magician, Then the High Priestess etc etc right down to the 10 of Pentacles...I love it.

tarot heart

I have to agree with Le Fanu. Tarot Wisdom is one of the best books available right now. Rachel Pollock is very thorough. ( I loved 78 Degrees of Wisdom too)
You couldn't ask for a better book. It's got lots of meat to it, and I loves me some meat. :)

I tried 21 Ways to Read Tarot and it just didn't do it for me. I can't get into books that give you little exercises to do like some sort of preschool book. Sorry, for me it just didn't work. I understand that some people learn better that way and for some it must be just perfect, but I just couldn't get through it. To each his own I guess.

merissa_88

i also love Tarot Wisdom. I actually read it before 78 Degrees of Wisdom. I think the comparison between very old and new decks is so important. It was the first time I really got that card meanings change over time.

Mary Greer's books can be so different. 21 Ways and Who are You in the Tarot are more journal-oriented while her court card book is more academic. But I think they are all keepers.

VioletEye

maybe i shouldn't be answering this question because i only have one rachel pollack book (as of yet) - but it is 78 degrees of wisdom. it was my first tarot book, and it is literally sitting 12 inches away from me as i type this. i refer to it all the time.
i also dig mary k. greer, but am not as much of a fan of the workbook method. pollack, to me, inspires; as well as prodding you to connect your own dots, which seems to be the point of a workbook, anyway.
tarot wisdom is next on my list!