How to read 3 card lay out

olivia1

Lately my three cards, non position spreads hAve been off. So have those who have been reading for me. I was able to get an accurate reading yesterday but that could just be a fluke.

Maybe I am doing it wrong. In a 3 card spread with no positions, which card is the one that actually indicates what will happen? The first card? The last card? The middle? Which card should get the most emphasis?

I usually read the cards as one, if that makes sense but put most emphasis on the last card. But I've noticed sometimes the first card had the answer all along. How do you do it?

Amanda

I let the cards lead.

For example, here are three cards I have randomly drawn for no other purpose than to show you how I let the cards lead:

(RWS)

Page of Swords + 3 of Swords + 6 of Wands

First thought to grab me: 3 of Swords and 6 of Wands are most active in this set because air strengthens fire. Something positive came from something negative.

Second thought to grab me: Page of Swords has a bunch of clouds which matches to the 3 of Swords, only the clouds in the 3 of Swords have progressed to pour rain. So this gives me the feeling of the Page here taking very quick and decisive action, stirring things up in the process, to cause some pain perhaps -- most-likely through words or actions that are very loud and clear, given the swords.

Third thought to grab me: Page's body is moving in the same direction as the 6 of Wands, but he's facing the opposite direction, watching his/her back, perhaps -- gives me the sensation of cause-and-effect. The Page had to do one thing, to protect or ensure another thing; this could be the other two cards. Following that train of thought, I make the intuitive leap now, that the Page of Swords had to do this -3- to ensure this -6-.

Now, I consider the summary card - Hermit. This is a personal/internal life issue thing going on here. Since the Hermit does not conflict elementally with the wand, I look there for a correlation: both the Hermit and the person in the 6 are people who may be sought after by others.

So, now I think I can start connecting the dots and wrap it up from left-to-right. My fake sitter here may have felt threatened enough to take quick and decisive action (Page) to cut someone/people (3) from their entourage/social circle (6); reason being that this person/people was getting too close into this person's personal space, most-likely (considering the nature of the swords and the Hermit).

That's how I do it.

bluelagune

I dont do reversals so the first thing I look for is majors. That would be a "I am", "Situation", "Soul" card and go from there. If there are no majors then I look for commonality in all three. I look for a pattern within a combination. Then I look if the cards merge or cancel each other out based on the sign. Sometimes cards are just read from left to right as though they are clerifyed each other in sequence.

olivia1

I let the cards lead.

For example, here are three cards I have randomly drawn for no other purpose than to show you how I let the cards lead:

(RWS)

Page of Swords + 3 of Swords + 6 of Wands

First thought to grab me: 3 of Swords and 6 of Wands are most active in this set because air strengthens fire. Something positive came from something negative.

Second thought to grab me: Page of Swords has a bunch of clouds which matches to the 3 of Swords, only the clouds in the 3 of Swords have progressed to pour rain. So this gives me the feeling of the Page here taking very quick and decisive action, stirring things up in the process, to cause some pain perhaps -- most-likely through words or actions that are very loud and clear, given the swords.

Third thought to grab me: Page's body is moving in the same direction as the 6 of Wands, but he's facing the opposite direction, watching his/her back, perhaps -- gives me the sensation of cause-and-effect. The Page had to do one thing, to protect or ensure another thing; this could be the other two cards. Following that train of thought, I make the intuitive leap now, that the Page of Swords had to do this -3- to ensure this -6-.

Now, I consider the summary card - Hermit. This is a personal/internal life issue thing going on here. Since the Hermit does not conflict elementally with the wand, I look there for a correlation: both the Hermit and the person in the 6 are people who may be sought after by others.

So, now I think I can start connecting the dots and wrap it up from left-to-right. My fake sitter here may have felt threatened enough to take quick and decisive action (Page) to cut someone/people (3) from their entourage/social circle (6); reason being that this person/people was getting too close into this person's personal space, most-likely (considering the nature of the swords and the Hermit).

That's how I do it.

Thank you so much for the very well thought out and well written reply. You clearly know your cards I don't know how to read elemental dignities so sadly I can't tell which reinforces and cAncels but it was fascinating reading how you do it [emoji5]️