Dusserre Dodal - Tarot de Marseille

kb2000

I have recently come across an interesting pack of cards whilst clearing my mothers house. The cards are by Dusserre Paris - Jean Dodal Tarot de Marselle. How, where or why my mother had these is a mystery to me. Your forum has given my some insight into these cards but I cannot find when these were published or when these went out of publication. Can anyone help.

le pendu

Hi kb2000,

WELCOME to Aecletic!

.. and what a way to start! The Dodal is a very sought after deck, you're lucky to have one.

I'm pretty sure (others will correct me if I'm wrong) that the deck was printed in the mid 80s.

I was lucky enough to get one a couple of years ago through a member here, but now there doesn't seem to be a source anywhere, so people snatch them up when they show up on ebay. Of course, it's not a huge market of people searching for this deck, but for Marseille lovers, it's a must have!

Major Tom

Beautiful deck - highly sought after. If you want to learn to read tarot you couldn't hope to make a better choice. :)

If you want to sell them I would suggest ebay. ;)

Abrac

I've shopped on eBay for a year and a half now and never seen one on there. There may have been one I missed I don't know, but very rare for sure.

kb2000

Dusserre Dodal Tarot de Marseille

Thanks - I have searched everywhere to try find when these date to. I had thought around the 70s so mid 80s not too far off the mark. I too searched ebay but found the Marseille decks did not seem to be too popular.

le pendu

kb2000 said:
Thanks - I have searched everywhere to try find when these date to. I had thought around the 70s so mid 80s not too far off the mark. I too searched ebay but found the Marseille decks did not seem to be too popular.

The Marsille decks aren't as popular as some modern decks, but in some European countries they are still used regularly, either for "reading" or for game playing. They seem to be getting more popular though.

If you wish to hold on to the deck, you've got a wonderful one there and it should certainly bring you a lot of pleasure. It's one that many people on this forum wish they could find a copy of.

If you decide that you'd like to sell it, as mentioned earlier.. ebay would probably be a good bet, you'd get a good price with people bidding against each other. You could also sell in here on AT in the Tarot Trading forum, there are probably several members who would jump at the opportunity. (in fact, have you got any Private Messages yet? Hee hee) I'm honestly not sure what I'd say about timing. If you held on to it as an investment, it would probably grow in value. However, there is a chance (small, unfounded at this point but always a possibility), that another reprint of the deck will become available.. especially since there seems to be a growing market for it. So if you wait and then that happens, the value would go down.

Of course, you could always just give it to me, I have a space on my shelf that it would look very nice on. ;)

euripides

I would kill for that deck. What's a reasonable price, anyone know?

kb2000, are you considering selling it?

I'm a reader, not a collector. It would be used and loved! (My parents are Scottish, too... ok I'll shut up now before I start pleading....)

The Marseilles decks are not generally popular because with no fancy artwork on the pips, they are 'harder' to read (not really, but they seem that way to beginners). Its just a different style of deck. Historical. You'll find that reproduction decks like the Dodal tend to be more popular than the re-interpretations (or is that just me?)

prudence

Hi,

since everyone else is shamelessly offering themselves up as new adoptive parent to this Dodal, I will chime in now as well. :D

Please please let me buy it....:D

(just kidding....but serisouly, if you are looking for a buyer, I am interested....and I will love it very much and I will read with it, and I will teach it to fetch etc....)

Okay, enough.

Congrats on your lucky find. And welcome to Aeclectic.

euripides

yep, I sent a PM. Couldn't help myself.

jmd

The Dodal remains one of favourites, and you have a wonderful find there kb2000!

In terms of finding some more details about the deck (not from a marketing perspective, but as tarot enthusiast), the threads on Comparing the Dodal and the Conver some may find of interest, as also le pendu's 'Hunting the True Marseille' or my earlier 'A closer look at one of the Marseille decks: the Jean Dodal c. 1701, Lyon'.

Of course, even for those who miss out on this deck if kb2000 intends to pass it on, there is still the absolutely masterfully hand produced (Atouts only, however) reproductions by J-C. Flornoy.