Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

The Empresses Bag? (Noblet)

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks


 
Elven's Avatar
Elven  Elven is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Mar 2005
Location: The Blue Mountains Middle-Earth Australia :)
Posts: 9,748
Elven 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac22
I see both the open & closed bag.....

mac22
Yes, thats what I see - but open at one time and closed on the next look - did you mean that too mac22?
Top   #21
Gooneybird's Avatar
Gooneybird  Gooneybird is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 26 Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 116
Gooneybird 

The "umbrella" looks like the arm of the chair to me...

Maybe this was obvious to the rest of you, but at first I was looking at the empress as if she was sitting straight facing front (and going "a bag? how?"), then I realized she can also be seen as sitting to the side (see two black pieces and yellow sections to the left as legs/dress). The bag then makes a lot more sense since the black spot on her side obscuring the bag's bottom right corner would then be her hip. *sheepish*
Top   #22
mac22's Avatar
mac22  mac22 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 20 Jan 2004
Location: ca usa
Posts: 2,280
mac22 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven
Yes, thats what I see - but open at one time and closed on the next look - did you mean that too mac22?
Yep.... Such an optical illusion in art takes both thought, planning & skill. Which also lead me to not consider the sash theory as strongly..

Mac22
Top   #23
Moonbow's Avatar
Moonbow  Moonbow is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 08 Nov 2003
Location: Southern England
Posts: 9,115
Moonbow 

There are some great posts in this thread, very insightful and making me think.

I just cannot look at this card without seeing a bag on her lap now. I wonder how this compares with other Marseilles decks, I'm off to check.
Top   #24
prudence  prudence is offline
Reader
 
Join Date: 31 Jan 2005
Location: between two ferns
Posts: 10,202
prudence 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooneybird
Maybe this was obvious to the rest of you, but at first I was looking at the empress as if she was sitting straight facing front (and going "a bag? how?"), then I realized she can also be seen as sitting to the side (see two black pieces and yellow sections to the left as legs/dress). The bag then makes a lot more sense since the black spot on her side obscuring the bag's bottom right corner would then be her hip. *sheepish*
Wow, it took me a minute to see it this way...I have always thought she was sitting straight forward, with her knees spread apart, but possibly with her feet together...very relaxed and comfortable. That white cloth seems to be sitting across both knees, and is dipping in the center because of the space between her knees...

But I can now see it as if she were more to one side of the throne. Weird.
Top   #25
kwaw's Avatar
kwaw  kwaw is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 29 Dec 2003
Location: Nr. Ephesus, Turkey
Posts: 5,400
kwaw 
Legs apart...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooneybird
The "umbrella" looks like the arm of the chair to me...

Maybe this was obvious to the rest of you, but at first I was looking at the empress as if she was sitting straight facing front (and going "a bag? how?"), then I realized she can also be seen as sitting to the side (see two black pieces and yellow sections to the left as legs/dress).

Or together to the side?



Kwaw
Top   #26
Elven's Avatar
Elven  Elven is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Mar 2005
Location: The Blue Mountains Middle-Earth Australia :)
Posts: 9,748
Elven 

I still see her sitting forward legs astride.
The different colours of each leg (red one side, blue the other) is the same combination on the Emperor and le pendu and Justice to a degree ... and this makes me think that the colouring is deliberate ... and shows one side and the other.

Just to mention Il Bateleur and Le Fou have blue stockings (yet the Le Fou seems to have a red lining or top on his single pant leg).
Top   #27
kwaw's Avatar
kwaw  kwaw is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 29 Dec 2003
Location: Nr. Ephesus, Turkey
Posts: 5,400
kwaw 

Bag open...bag closed

Legs open...legs closed

I can see both, like one those illusions such as that which looks like a ducks head or a rabbit depending on how you perceive it.

But open or closed, I cannot look at the image and 'not' see a bag.

Kwaw
Top   #28
mac22's Avatar
mac22  mac22 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 20 Jan 2004
Location: ca usa
Posts: 2,280
mac22 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaw
Bag open...bag closed

Legs open...legs closed

I can see both, like one those illusions such as that which looks like a ducks head or a rabbit depending on how you perceive it.

But open or closed, I cannot look at the image and 'not' see a bag.

Kwaw
I believe the card was designed as an optical illusion....

Mac22
Top   #29
Rosanne's Avatar
Rosanne  Rosanne is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 08 Dec 2004
Location: North Auckland,New Zealand
Posts: 5,917
Rosanne 

Wow I just discovered Tarot is a Wedding Cake recipe book
Why not a bag for grain? It's for flour for the Four square cake/blood cake given to Gods and Emperors, that was earlier given to Gods at their altars.
Baleteur-utensils, Papesse the recipe book.he Emperor the Directions, The Fou has the spoon! The Hanged Man is the Taster.All the way through You can apply the Arcanum to cooking very clearly I think!
Anyways I think it is a bag and I appreciate my attention been bought to it.
I have been wondering why the bag on the table of the Bateleur is there, when it should rightfully be on his waist. Here is a small snippet of an indication of the wealth of Grain in Medieval times from the records of the Church of St Dennis in France.

At the dedication of the church we had received besides from his son Louis the administration of the roads in
this village and all the revenues except from wine and grains(which went to the State not the church my italics), with royal
generosity, for the good of his soul, the protection of his person and of the realm. (100 muids of grain, by the measure of Étampes, which often was worth 100 pounds depending on the price of grain.) Around the Time of Tarot and the plague wheat was as usual a staple food and had to be administered by the state as the wheat industry was also devastated and cut by one third in Europe. I beleive this is still the case today- the Government gets the tax revenue from staple items.
Then again the grain sack could indicated the star cluster Pleiades that in RWS she wears as a crown... But it it is a purse and maybe this game is only for 100 crown punters. Like Poker schools today.
~Rosanne
Top   #30




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.