"Biblical" Deck? Tarot of the Revelation?

bilberrywaffle

I study religion, mainly sacred texts, at school. Its obviously a great passion of mine and something that I can understand very naturally.

I thought it would be cool to find some sort of "Biblical" tarot deck, but I can't seem to find anything that really seems to fit that title. I know that the classic RWS system has biblical elements or elements that can, at the very least, be interpreted within that context.

I found the Tarot of the Revelation...
http://tarotoftherevelation.com/
But it presents two problems for me. One being that it is only being sold from Japan, apparently. Also, I happen to be a more Old Testament kind of lady.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any good decks that could fill this "void" in my collection. Also, if anybody owns the Tarot of the Revelation...do you like it?

Many Thanks!
Bilberry

canid

I've not seen Tarot of the Revelation, but I'm going to check into it. You may like Tarot of the Holy Grail. (Thanks, Rodney!) A lot of people confuse it with the Grail Tarot but they're totally different.

bilberrywaffle

Thanks for posting!

I do rather like this deck. I have seen the Grail Tarot before and didn't like. This one seems more up my alley.

The Tarot of the Revelation is very interesting; I haven't seen anything quite like it. There's even corresponding quotes on the border (but only in the original Greek, so...). It seems like a deck worth getting, if they start selling it over here too. :(

EDIT: That Dore Bible Tarot is AMAZING. I love the corresponding Bible chapters.

canid

Yeah, I don't like the Grail Tarot either; the art just doesn't do it for me. I don't think I'd like Tarot of the Revelation either, especially Temperance, from what I saw. But that Dore deck is awesome! And I love Tarot of the Holy Grail, despite it being a bit one sided, gender wise.

lunakasha

DraagonStorm said:
You also might like this deck Dore Bible Tarot at http://www.moonchild.ch/Tarot/DBT/

The thread on it from Tarot Deck Creation is here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=59905&highlight=bible

I have been in love with this deck for years, since I first laid eyes on it.

But I have no idea where to find one at a reasonable price. The only place I've seen it is on eBay, priced at around $200. :( If I had the money, I would probably go for it anyway....but unfortunately it's WAY out of my budget.

Does anyone know another source for this deck?

:) Luna

bilberrywaffle

I think one-sided gender-ness is to be expected of a Holy Grail Tarot. That whole Knights of Templar thing seems to be men only. But I do like the deck. I'm kind of surprised I hadn't seen it sooner!

I like the Tarot of the Revelation, but I can't see myself spending that much money on it. I don't know if its really worth it. I was hoping there was another deck that more accurately displayed my interests.

So, thanks to both of you for helping me out! :)

The Bible Deck isn't published yet, is it?

EDIT: I see it obviously has been published. $200? Really?! That is so out of my budget! Dang...

DraagonStorm

I don't know much about the deck. I just remembered it when I saw you post.

canid

Wow, that price is far out of my reach too. Not only don't I have the funds, but I don't like it THAT much - there are others on my wish list I'd prefer that I can't afford.

bilberrywaffle

So sad. Can't find it any where! At least I know that they exist now :)

EDIT: ( I keep editing! argh.) I actually found some the publisher's website, maybe. But its still fifty euros; which is a decent chunk of change especially with overseas shipping.