"Becoming," or, "A spread for where you want to be"

Chiriku

I call the spread “Becoming (or, a Spread for Where You Want to Be).”

…………………………1…………...[deck or token/totem]…………….2……………………………
………..…….3………………………........... …4………………………………………….5……………………
……………………………………………………6-7-8…………………………………………………………………..

I placed the deck in-between positions 1 and 2. However, if you are reading for yourself, it might bring you some added mental clarity or focus to place a significant object there. E.g. if it’s a spread about your relationship with your mother, you could picture of her there, or an object that belongs to her. If it’s about you overcoming personal drawbacks like a fear of failure, maybe put some sort of symbol of that fear there, or of a time when you weren’t fearful (like a shell you collected from the beach when you tried to learn to surf).

1- Where You Are Now

2- Where You Want to Be —this is the ultimate underlying thing you want or need, not a specific goal. For instance, let’s say your goal is to sign the lease on that apartment down on 12th street. That’s not what you *really* want in an ultimate sense; what you ultimately want is to have a place of your own that you think of as your own space, where you feel at peace. Any number of living situations could potentially fulfill this ultimate desire in you. This position in the spread is about the latter type of want, the core underlying need that can be achieved in a variety of different ways.

3- What You Have Already Tried That Doesn’t Work—leave this behind; stop doing it

4- What You Have Already Tried, That Helps —keep doing it

5- What You Need to Start Doing —do it.

6- -7 - 8- Where You Will Flourish —three cards, read in concert

Masa

Holy cats! This could not have come at a better time! Not five hours ago I was pondering a particular hangup in my life and I thought, I wish I had a specifically crafted spread I could use to explore my aversion to this thing I know is good for me. I ended up busting out a celtic cross to fairly good effect, but this is much more the sort of thing I was imagining!

I tried it just now and it was excellent. I might post it to the Readings forum just for kicks.

Thank you! :)

Chiriku

Isn't it funny how the Tarot Spreads sub-forum can sometimes rise to the occasion in the most serendipitous ways? This is one of my favorite places on AT.

I'm very gratified and glad you found it helpful for you, and indeed, I'd like to see the outcome in Your Readings if you feel called to share.

Cheers,

Girl Archer

I call the spread “Becoming (or, a Spread for Where You Want to Be).”

…………………………1…………...[deck or token/totem]…………….2……………………………
………..…….3………………………........... …4………………………………………….5……………………
……………………………………………………6-7-8…………………………………………………………………..

I placed the deck in-between positions 1 and 2. However, if you are reading for yourself, it might bring you some added mental clarity or focus to place a significant object there. E.g. if it’s a spread about your relationship with your mother, you could picture of her there, or an object that belongs to her. If it’s about you overcoming personal drawbacks like a fear of failure, maybe put some sort of symbol of that fear there, or of a time when you weren’t fearful (like a shell you collected from the beach when you tried to learn to surf).

1- Where You Are Now

2- Where You Want to Be —this is the ultimate underlying thing you want or need, not a specific goal. For instance, let’s say your goal is to sign the lease on that apartment down on 12th street. That’s not what you *really* want in an ultimate sense; what you ultimately want is to have a place of your own that you think of as your own space, where you feel at peace. Any number of living situations could potentially fulfill this ultimate desire in you. This position in the spread is about the latter type of want, the core underlying need that can be achieved in a variety of different ways.

3- What You Have Already Tried That Doesn’t Work—leave this behind; stop doing it

4- What You Have Already Tried, That Helps —keep doing it

5- What You Need to Start Doing —do it.

6- -7 - 8- Where You Will Flourish —three cards, read in concert

OMG Chiriku, I just thought of this spread a month back and jotted it in my journal :) Great minds think alike indeed :laugh: I didn't have the tarot totem but that apart, we are on the same page pretty much! This is a great spread and gave me a lot of insight into my career situation!

Chiriku

OMG Chiriku, I just thought of this spread a month back and jotted it in my journal :) Great minds think alike indeed :laugh: I didn't have the tarot totem but that apart, we are on the same page pretty much! This is a great spread and gave me a lot of insight into my career situation!

Indeed! I hope the spread you did gave you some helpful insight.

I don't think the totem is necessary, and I never use them, but I like to try new things, and this one seemed an appropriate spread for it. I image there is psychological theory/science out there that supports the idea of physical, tangible objects mentally reinforcing things for us; we are sensory-oriented creatures, and it gives our minds something to latch onto and work from.