AT Comparative Study - A - The Sun - 19

mj07

The Cosmic Tarot

(weird, I thought I'd already posted this one, but I guess not!)

A small blonde child with a Prince Valiant haircut stands in a lush garden at the forefront. Above him is a HUGE sun, behind mountains and a lake, a bird flies in the distance, another is perched on a twig nearby. The sun is so bright, it appears to be engulfing the night, as we can see there's kind of an arch in the image behind or outside of which we see darker sky, stars and a crescent moon. Most of the usual imagery, minus a wall of any sort, though he still is in a garden.

One weird detail is that three of the leaves of a plant in front of the child appear to have holes in them created by some kind of worm. Odd, this is the one thing that kind of mars the perfect picture.

Suriel

I'm not sure...

The sun in my tarot deck is this image:
a little boy, in yellow robes, with golden wings and a leopard cub beside his legs, sitting on a huge sunflower. the boy and the cub are smiling brightly.....
i have a question : what is this deck?

tmgrl2

Re: The Cosmic Tarot

mj07 said:
(weird, I thought I'd already posted this one, but I guess not!)
One weird detail is that three of the leaves of a plant in front of the child appear to have holes in them created by some kind of worm. Odd, this is the one thing that kind of mars the perfect picture.

That is weird...for the Sun...I have always liked the Eastern piece of philosophy about perfection...leaving things with imperfections in them to remind us we are not "perfect." Maybe someone will post another thought about this....I love it when these little details get noticed and posted...

terri

WooMonkey

Napo Tarot

Symbolism & Imagery - A child wearing a crown, and what looks like a poncho rides a horse. The sun is behind him, on this deck you can only see eyes on the sun. The horse seems to be looking back at the child and smiling.

Comparisons/contrasts - A lot less detail than the RWS; no wall no flowers. The child seems calmer as he is holding reigns instead of holding his arms out.

Initial reactions - Less "joyful" than the RWS, but still a happy card with bright rainbow colors. The horse actually looks happier!

LWB - Indicates someone pure, fresh, and competent, who has a lot of help in his life, health, and success.

hyatt

Witches Tarot

Symbolism and imagery:
Two children a boy and a girl are standing in front of a stone wall. The girl stands in a pool of water. They are holding hands and looking at each other's faces. In the top left the sun is bright orange and gives a glow to the sky it is rather large without a face on it. In the bottom right sits part of the moon. It is purple and blocks the view of the boy's feet.

Compared to other decks:
Unlike the RWS deck their are two children and it lacks a horse and flowers. It does have a wall. Plus the girl in water adds a new touch.

Initial reactions:
I think it is interesting that the boy is being touched by the moon instead of the girl. There positions and body language conjour thoughts of adam and eve. His hand in on top of hers. To me it looks like he is asking her to step out of the water. Although the card is playful I feel it has more of a serious tone to it than perhaps other cards. It looks like they are about to go somewhere. It has the feeling that action is going to be taking place soon. It is the moment before she steps out of the pool.

From the book: Search for knowledge, beginning of study, progress

hyatt

Tarot of the Hidden Folk

Symbolism and imagery - Two little people are posed leaning over butt to butt with their hands on their knees. One is a male and the other is a female. They are supporting a smaller older bearded man on their backs. A large sun is full in the background and the sky is a rosey red.

Comparisons/contrasts with other decks - Crazy card. There is no youth in this card. The colors beeing mostly red is a little different.

Initial reactions to symbolism/meanings - My immediate reaction is why are they butt to butt?!? A very untraditional sun card but a very silly and joyful card too. There is a happy frolic attitude in this card. It reminds me to just enjoy life because it is a fun quirky ride!

contrascarpe

Gilded Tarot

Symbolism and imagery - The solar system, with eight of the planets (poor Pluto) revolving around an ornate sun. The zodiacal chart intercedes some of the orbits.

Comparisons/contrasts with other decks - Very obvious difference to the standard RWS. No child on horse, no sunflowers.

Initial reactions to symbolism/meanings - Maybe a reminder that the Sun is the center of all that we know? We know that the sun sustains life for us on Earth, but what is its relevance to the other planets? Obviously it serves a function for those planets, but what function do the planets (besides ours) serve? I guess it is a backhand way of showing hope - that if life can be sustained here, there is a chance for it to occur elsewhere, and perhaps give our race hope that we can settle somewhere else some day should what we take for granted (the Sun) ever disappear.

hyatt

cosmic tarot :)

Symbolism & Imagery - The faceless sun shines bright in this card above a blond haired boy. The boy appears to be peering almost out of the card, looking to see what is around the corner. He is eager to continue his path. The landscape looks like Hawaii. There are mountains as well as water, ferns, hibiscus flowers and a tree with a white bird on it. Above the sun is the nights' sky with all the stars and the moon. This is a cheerful card.

Comparisons/contrasts with other decks - Similar boy. There is no wall nor is there sunflowers. The addition of the night's sky is interesting.

Initial reactions – Happiness and eagerness. Ready to explore the beauty of the world. Freedom of negativity.

Goldenhair

The Sun from Via Tarot

Symbolism/Imagery - The background is deep blue to purple. A naked woman sits in the lotus position, with her eyes closed, meditating. The sun is in her solar plexus chakra. She sits in a circle, the center is red shading out to golden yellow at it's edge, another sun symbol. There are two stars near the back of the circle. We can see three statues, and intuit a fourth behind her. The shadows they cast form a swastica, a symbol of happiness and good luck. Above the woman, standing in her aura, is a winged male figure, her spiritual guide. His eyes are open and he looks out at the reader.

Contrast/Comparison - Totally different than standard cards. No children, no horse, no sunflowers and no wall. The feeling of this card is much more spiritual.

Initial Reactions - The picture on the card is very symetrical, even. There is a quietly joyful feeling. If we are inwardly happy and content, we will share our contentment/happiness with everyone we encounter, in everything we do. The vitality, the greatness burns from the inside out, like the sun.

ArwenNightstar

Samurai Tarot (Lo Scarabeo 2006)

Symbolism/Imagery
A woman stands as the center of the sun. Rays radiate around her in alternating bands of yellow and orange-yellow. She has her head to one side (her right) as though contemplating something. She holds a mirror (left hand) and a sword (right hand) classic representations of feminine and masculine. Her robes are covered in what look like moons for the top half and the bottom is green branches.
Contrast/Comparison
Very different from most Suns that I've seen. The closest one is the Frank Fradella Adventure Tarot where the sun is represented by Amateratsu. I believe this card is Her as well. I don't get a sense of family, but there is a feeling of warmth from the female in this card.
Initial Reactions
I liked it. I love the tale of Amateratsu so this card resonated with me right away. That she is holding a mirror and a sword also clicked with me!
LWB
The present: Only the particular purpose of the moment exists. Life passes simply.
Synthesized Response
Huh. Welllll, ok then. I guess I don't see this at all. The sun's presence is immediate and unavoidable I suppose. I will have to think on this one.