The Devil as Feelings (not sexual)

Jennalyn

I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight into the Devil as feelings, but not in a sexual context? I know it can mean something forbidden or obsessive, but this doesn't seem to fit in this situation .... It was accompanied by the 5 of Pentacles and I just can't imagine this person feeling so lustful and scared of rejection (which is how I would have otherwise interpreted it.)

I wondered if it could mean someone has lied about something and scared the person will shut them out if they find out. The Devil is a liar, isn't he?

Does it sound plausible?

Absynthe

Whenever the Devil card comes up I take it to mean, the one thing within each of us which is our achilles heel. We all have it, that one thing that eternally trips us up, keeps playing out over and over until we finally integrate our lack on the subject. It's the Devil within.

So in the context of feelings I would take it to mean that this person is being triggered in such a way by you (if the feelings are about you). Now their trigger may have absolutely nothing to do with you at all. It's all about what's inside of them that's being brought forth for their awareness and growth. The five of pentacles is about poverty consciousness, which just means a feeling of lack (pertaining to any subject at all). So put those two together and I would say it brings forth a subconscious feeling of unworthiness. That could relate to anything, if it's a coworker for example, it may signal jealousy because they feel you are more competent than them or they feel you show up their incompetence (subconscious belief in it) for example.

Thirteen

They feel chained and brow-beaten

The Devil holds the chains to two captives, and the 5/Pents shows two people who, if they won't beg from/bow to the "community" (inside that nice, warm, rich church), they'll be stuck outside in the cold.

I think in both instances, the implication is that this person feels that someone (something?) has a hold over them. And it's a material hold. Like someone has money they need and if they don't dance to that person's tune, they don't get the money. Or that person has information that could hurt their reputation. Or maybe it's some embarrassing physical problem and it keeps them from doing what they want. You get the idea.

Keep in mind, this is how they FEEL...it may not be factually true that anything is controlling them. So you may not see the situation this way at all. To you this person may be free as a bird. But they don't FEEL that way. They feel brow-beaten, ashamed of their situation, and like they can't be honest about it, or free themselves from it. They FEEL "checked" by this Devil--whether it's a person, a physical problem, a society/culture, or their own fears.

Jennalyn

Whenever the Devil card comes up I take it to mean, the one thing within each of us which is our achilles heel. We all have it, that one thing that eternally trips us up, keeps playing out over and over until we finally integrate our lack on the subject. It's the Devil within.

So in the context of feelings I would take it to mean that this person is being triggered in such a way by you (if the feelings are about you). Now their trigger may have absolutely nothing to do with you at all. It's all about what's inside of them that's being brought forth for their awareness and growth. The five of pentacles is about poverty consciousness, which just means a feeling of lack (pertaining to any subject at all). So put those two together and I would say it brings forth a subconscious feeling of unworthiness. That could relate to anything, if it's a coworker for example, it may signal jealousy because they feel you are more competent than them or they feel you show up their incompetence (subconscious belief in it) for example.

OK, that was absolutely brilliant. Thank you, Absynthe! I can definitely see how this could apply in this context. He is a sort of protege of mine and I am always getting the vibe he has a sense of nervousness around me, even though he comes across as confident. I will remember what you said about the Devil representing the Achilles Heel; I also think this is not so much about *me* as such, as it is about something inside him being brought forth for his own growth. I don't think there is anything I can do to change this about him - I am always relaxed/understanding with him and try to make him feel comfortable as best as I can, but I think it would be unwise of me to try and change it for, as you said, this is something he needs to learn from and grow within himself.

Thanks so much again!

Jennalyn

The Devil holds the chains to two captives, and the 5/Pents shows two people who, if they won't beg from/bow to the "community" (inside that nice, warm, rich church), they'll be stuck outside in the cold.

I think in both instances, the implication is that this person feels that someone (something?) has a hold over them. And it's a material hold. Like someone has money they need and if they don't dance to that person's tune, they don't get the money. Or that person has information that could hurt their reputation. Or maybe it's some embarrassing physical problem and it keeps them from doing what they want. You get the idea.

Keep in mind, this is how they FEEL...it may not be factually true that anything is controlling them. So you may not see the situation this way at all. To you this person may be free as a bird. But they don't FEEL that way. They feel brow-beaten, ashamed of their situation, and like they can't be honest about it, or free themselves from it. They FEEL "checked" by this Devil--whether it's a person, a physical problem, a society/culture, or their own fears.

This is an amazing response also, thank you! I can see how this could also apply - he might think I have some kind of 'hold' in the sense of something he told me, which perhaps might not ring true; or he could feel at a loss because of some kind of intimidation. And your explanation ties in a lot with his behaviour around me - for example, he often mirrors what I say, but won't initiate conversation or offer up his own thoughts - which confused me because I get a very good vibe from our actual relationship and personally feel able to speak freely around him, however I always get the sense he is slightly guarded around me and hiding some side to himself; if he does not feel the same way about me, I have no idea why this is because I've always been very open and honest with him in regard to letting him know he can speak his mind and everything will be fine.

I think your suggestion that he feels checked by his own fears - the Devil - fits this situation. I would like to help him with it, but I don't feel it would be a good idea to bring it up - especially when I don't know exactly what sort of subject I'm raising. It may embarrass him, or he may deny it, and then distance himself.

Thanks so much again!