2013 Lo Scarabeo's Tarot Illuminati

Metafizzypop

I never thought I'd live to see the day where I'd encounter a tarot deck that made Ciro Marchetti's decks look plain by comparison. This deck is so opulant and lush and splendid, if I tried to do a reading with it I think my head would explode.

The art is very busy, and normally I don't go for that style, but this deck really is nice, head explosions notwithstanding.

Tibor

I never thought I'd live to see the day where I'd encounter a tarot deck that made Ciro Marchetti's decks look plain by comparison. This deck is so opulant and lush and splendid, if I tried to do a reading with it I think my head would explode.

The art is very busy, and normally I don't go for that style, but this deck really is nice, head explosions notwithstanding.

I don't think that is a fair comment. You cannot really compare Ciro's decks with the art of that of the Illuminati cos it's completely different :)

Aurora369

I don't think that is a fair comment. You cannot really compare Ciro's decks with the art of that of the Illuminati cos it's completely different :)

I agree with Tibor. The art is completely different, so I would not compare them either. I think the deck is nice, but I prefer Ciro's artwork.

Metafizzypop

I agree also. The artistic styles are very different. But there is something they have in common which struck me, and which is why I compared them. Both of these artists have a lot of bling in their decks. It's the element of luxury and lushness in every detail of the art.

I see nothing unfair about such an observation.

gregory

I agree also. The artistic styles are very different. But there is something they have in common which struck me, and which is why I compared them. Both of these artists have a lot of bling in their decks. It's the element of luxury and lushness in every detail of the art.

I see nothing unfair about such an observation.
I'd agree. Very different ART style, but I see just what you mean about the opulence (I happened to be going through the Gilded Royale just last night...)

garmonbozia

Tarot Illuminati can be found on Facebook. I can view the page even when signed out, so I don't think you need to be a Facebook user.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tarot-Illuminati/283151041725608

Thanks for posting that. I wonder if that is what the actual cards will look like, or if there will be the typical thick LS borders running around the card with about 54 different languages on it.

I always hope that LS will one day abandon their hideous borders (that ruin many amazing decks for me) but I fear it will never happen.

Why do publishers not make more borderless decks?

Morwenna

Holy schmackers. Opulence is right. Where are my sunglasses? :D

Barbara's right. There are never too many cat decks. I'm looking forward to that one. :)

Chiriku

Thanks for posting that. I wonder if that is what the actual cards will look like, or if there will be the typical thick LS borders running around the card with about 54 different languages on it.

Although I'm unclear whether it's Lo Scarabeo themselves who are publishing this with distribution through Llewellyn, or whether it's a Llewellyn production, I had similar fears.

ETA: I went back to Moore's blog post, and it looks like Lo Scarabeo themselves.

There's a thread active at the moment in which people repeat the longstanding complaint about the Shadowscapes--another very adeptly executed deck that was cut off at the knees by the publisher's choice of image size and border.

Frankly, with the Illuminati, I don't expect to get my wish of large-sized images and minimal borders. I have too many decks from too many publishers to remind me that production too often gets in the way of art.

And some people like borders, believe it or not; they feel it protects the edges of the images from wear over time. Not me, though; I slice those suckers right off.

garmonbozia

Not me, though; I slice those suckers right off.

I wish I were that brave. and much less anal-retentive.

The images of cards that I have seen where people trimmed-ff hideous borders look really great, but I am afraid of the edges not being even. I more don't like the idea of hurrting my precious cards.

I'm also a tuck box lover (hate tarot bags), and trimmed cards would slosh around inside a tuck box which would annoy me. Boxes that are too big for the cards, aren't all that good for protection.