Universal Waite Deck - Any difference between tan box and blue box?

Ron521

Some years ago, I purchased a used Universal Waite deck (in the tan box with the child releasing a bird, not sure where it was printed) in a used book store, and owned it for several years. Eventually, I gifted it to my brother-in-law, who has an interest in divination.

More recently, I became interested in owning this deck again, so ordered one from a seller on eBay, who advertised using the same illustration. When the deck arrived, it was in the blue box with "The Fool" on one side, and "The Emperess" on the other (printed in Italy).

I can not SEE any problem with the cards themselves.

My question is: Is there any difference between these two decks, or are they identical except for the box. I know that some decks have been printed in various countries, and sometimes forum users comment on variations in quality (have seen this in particular regarding the Morgan Greer deck).

So...any reason to be dissatisfied? Or, perhaps I got lucky, and should be pleased?

Terrapin

Blue box printed in Italy has shiny, heavy lamination. Cards are very sturdy and colors are more saturated than the tan box printed in Belgium which has a lighter color intensity and may seem faded comparing them side by side.

I personally have had both and preferred the tan box variation, but it's just a matter of taste. In either edition, the Universal Waite is a classic and very beautiful.

Le Fanu

I think it often depends on which one you got first. I got the Printed in Italy one first and then was tempted by the "tan" box, printed in Belgium so tracked down a copy. I find the tan box one/Printed in Belgium way too pasty and faded in its colouring.

I can forego the gloss on the Italian printing just because the colours are so much nicer for me.

Ron521

I'm satisfied overall with the "blue box printed in Italy" deck, but since there is a difference, I will try to get a copy of the "tan box printed in Belgium" deck as well.

Could someone please post ISBN numbers for the tan box?

Blue box is:

ISBN-13: 978-0-88079-496-1
ISBN-10: 0-88079-496-8

Ron521

I now have three of the tan box version (plus the blue box version which initiated my question) not because I like the tan box so much better than the blue box, but because they were offered on ebay WITH tarot books I didn't own, for less than the cost of a deck alone.
As mentioned by others, colors are softer in the tan box, but either way, it is a beautiful deck which I am happy to have in my library once more.
One interesting observance is that the blue box and two out of three tan boxes came with two "extra" cards, the child releasing a bird, plus a woman holding a candle. The third tan box does not have the woman holding the candle. Missing card? Or just an earlier edition?

CheapShoes

Yellow box

My yellow box Universal Waite deck, purchased new in 2012 has the two extra cards, was printed in Belgium, ISBN 0-88079-496-8. The boxed book set is ISBN 0-88079-416-X. I would say the card colors are plenty vibrant, but the imagery a little fuzzy and not super sharp, apparently more due to the original illustration medium: pastel on rough sketch paper, not the printing process. The cardstock is on the thin side, glossy, and typical to better than average playing card material. The book printing is a little lower grade than the cards.