Background colours

lunagoddess_66

What is the significance of the background colours on the cards?

cronegoddess54

colors

The yellow background in The Fool has to do with the radiant energy of Life or breath that is presenting itself in life form. Life-Breath is neither male or female, forever young on the edge of manistestation. Air and fiery Life/Breath light yellow. Planet Uranus name is the Greek word meaning, ("Sky" interesting that the sky is yellow.)

The Magician color assigned to Spirit and air, a deeper yellow then the yellow of The Fool. Mercury means intellect, aspect of universal consciousness, personalified.

This information was taken out of The Tarot, by Paul Foster Case, 1947.
This is a very interesting book if you happen to be able to get one. It should answer your questions and then some.

lunagoddess_66

Thank you very much. I shall try and find the book. Cheers

GryffinSong

I haven't studied color specifically with tarot cards, but with the hundreds of decks out there, cards have a variety of colors for the same card. There are many theories of color, and I like to think that they speak with some of a common voice, but also directly, and intuitively, to each of us in their own way. I like to look at a color (or image) and see what comes forward in my mind when I see it. We will have quietly absorbed all kinds of associations with color throughout our lives, and if we listen closely those ideas will often pop to the forefront of our minds.

In general, yellow is a happy color. Black a depressed color. Blue a cool, intellectual color. Red an angry or passionate color. But these interpretations are only generalities.

Do a search on color theory, and on tarot histories, and you'll probably find lots of good stuff, even if you can't find that specific book.

Good luck!

lunagoddess_66

Thank you. Yes, I thought that might be the general consensus. I shall do some research and see what comes up.

Rasa

I had one friend who read colours in the Tarot in relation to the chakra colors.. I imagine that's not what Waite/Smith intended with their colorations, but I think we can use the systems that work for us, personally.
Sometimes, I've found the chakra connection to be useful.

ozzimo

colour

In the RIDER WAITE deck its been pointed out to me that yellow is the colour of the mind. Note that the boots of the fool as he plunges down into matter are yellow. here the mind is the guide of our feet, telling where to place the next step.

SakuraFae

lunagoddess_66 said:
What is the significance of the background colours on the cards?

It depends on where you look and how you relate to colors, I like what Rasa had to say about chakras.

I pulled together a study on color for an online group using various online sources... it was really interesting to go through RWS and study it by color alone.

That one dash of red on the Fool's sleeve is the image that drives home the use of color; he's wearing his heart right there on his sleeve, it's just in disguise! How fitting of the fool.

Red - energy, passion, survival, instincts, action, security, blood, life, desire, action, strength, courage, sex, death, vitality, generosity, ambition
Muddy: rage, indignation, uncontrolled emotions, resentment, violence

Orange - self confidence, optimism, energy, pride, ego, ambition, force, liveliness, happy memories, Fire, vitality, authority, magic, energy, life force, wisdom through understanding
Muddy: sorcery, insecurity, impulsive, misspent energies, possessive

Yellow - intellect, mental, happiness, youth, creativity, new ideas, adaptability, active
Muddy: cowardly, apprehensive, deception, suspicious

Green - health, abundance, vitality, harmony, healing, well being, New life, hope, fertility, growth, security, sympathy, rebirth, balance, prosperity, peace, ambition,
Muddy: envy, jealousy, green, possessive

Pink - love, compassion, femininity, innocence
Turquoise - deep compassion and inner healing

Blue - communication, contemplation, intuition, emotion, Spirit, Friendship, water, sky, devotion, feelings, devotion, aspiration, impersonal, idealism, obedience, visionary, kindness, idealism
Muddy: dishonesty, shrewd, helpless, victim, dejected

Indigo - knowledge we need to progress along our path
Muddy: depression, ignorance, lethargic, illiterate, shallow, deceit

Purple - insight and wisdom, Royalty, power, pride, esoteric understanding, psychic, ruler-ship, authority, emotion, progressive

Brown - conventional, foundation, elemental
Muddy: stagnation, sordid, offensive, polluted, contaminated

Black - darkness, ignorance, infinity, thwarted ambition, Death, endings, destruction, the occult, negativity, sin, depth, power, blending all earthly colors
Muddy: immoral, domination, sinister, corruption, violent

White - clarity, illumination, purity, truth, openness, enlightenment, expansion, knowledge, Universal, joy, happiness, symphonic harmony and unification, blending of all colors of light
Dull: unclean, impure, defective

Gray - balance must be achieved, Stormy weather, grief, mourning, sadness, depression, wisdom from experience

Gold: Attainment, illumination, sun, success, glory, the divine, warmth, wealth, male
Dull: green, avarice, power hungry

Silver: tidal, inner self, cool, reflective, Moon, hidden knowledge, feminine intuition, psychic ability, emotions, receptive, emotional, ebb and flow, female
Dull: self pity, dismal, depressive

Rainbow: All the colors! triumphant, joy, beauty, not dull.