Morgan Greer - Edition Identification

DustyWhite

I think this is the right timeline . . .

Hi goldenVI :)

I have spent months wrestling with this question. I have read Holly's page over and over, read up on the cards in the Encyclopedia, and even bought several decks after scouring old eBay sales for clues. I have had long discussions with a few serious MG & Aq. deck collectors, and so I "think" I have the timeline right, but even after talking to the Morgans themselves several times there is doubt.

IMHO the key is in the LWB and the boxes, as the cards did not change (unlike the Aquarian decks). I think the order listed above is the closest thing we have anywhere to correct, but I really want to see if any aqua boxes turn up with no stars and that 'Plain" font. I took a few pictures today in fact, and I will upload them just in case they help.

Oh, and to answer your question, I have to say that it seems that unlike the Aquarian decks (which have a LOT of "editions," I think the Morgans simply added borders and then removed them when people complained. I think all of the decks are technically "first editions" (except for the black bordered cards), but the BOXES and LWBs are definitely "various editions." I hope that makes sense (everyone's a winner! :)

Okay, I think i just creeped myself out. Here are a few of the pix I shot today . . .

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 472

G6

Hi goldenVI :)

I have spent months wrestling with this question. I have read Holly's page over and over, read up on the cards in the Encyclopedia, and even bought several decks after scouring old eBay sales for clues. I have had long discussions with a few serious MG & Aq. deck collectors, and so I "think" I have the timeline right, but even after talking to the Morgans themselves several times there is doubt.

IMHO the key is in the LWB and the boxes, as the cards did not change (unlike the Aquarian decks). I think the order listed above is the closest thing we have anywhere to correct, but I really want to see if any aqua boxes turn up with no stars and that 'Plain" font. I took a few pictures today in fact, and I will upload them just in case they help.

Oh, and to answer your question, I have to say that it seems that unlike the Aquarian decks (which have a LOT of "editions," I think the Morgans simply added borders and then removed them when people complained. I think all of the decks are technically "first editions" (except for the black bordered cards), but the BOXES and LWBs are definitely "various editions." I hope that makes sense (everyone's a winner! :)

Okay, I think i just creeped myself out. Here are a few of the pix I shot today . . .

Wow, thanks! Are you looking into the MG history for personal or academic reasons?

Lol, I'm not creeped out at all. The winners/losers mentality is the bane of our collective existence. A change in perspective is the path of the future.

Have an awesome 4th and thanks for all the info/pics, please keep us updated with your findings, really interesting! :)

DustyWhite

Thanks!

Purely academic reasons. Well, personal, as in this is kind of an obsession with me (the 20th century tarot printing history), and I think we are very close to figuring this out, but from everything I have gathered, the Morgans were a fun bunch of people, with tarot being just a small portion of their printing business. They liked to change things up and routine (with the tarot - in any case) was anathema at the print shop. Without telling stories out of school I was told by (name - one of the chief players) that the kids were paid to sort the decks and they were very clever on how to maximize their earnings, so it should come as no surprise to find the occasional "variation" in decks. You got what was put in the box, which was almost always accurate, but sometimes mistakes can be made. There is no mystery to it - it was simply a matter of how fast the decks could be boxed up in a day.

But just to stay ENTIRELY on topic, the question seems to be if any aqua boxes will ever show up without stars to examine. If not, it looks like that brown box is the official "1979" first edition, and should come with borderless cards and a large LWB, printed in black ink, that has been stapled. I will absolutely update this info if I ever get positive proof that has changed. :)

decan

3) Aqua boxes with stars and new font. Borderless—varying card back print quality; usually good. Small LWB (12 panel) foldout. No price. Address on back.

I think my copy pertains to this version (Aqua box) but with slight differences, it's the reason why I post some photos for those who could be interested.
The back of the box isn't exactly the same because if my copy comes from the Morgan Press it was distributed by Pacific Game.

Concerning the cards themselves, the Chariot is at the center in my deck (and I haven't a Page of Pods but I think concerning this version it is the case). The backs are generally quite good, solid blue (stars are at random).

Attachments

• M-Greer1.jpg
    M-Greer1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 397
  • M-Greer2.jpg
    M-Greer2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 404
  • M-Greer3.jpg
    M-Greer3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 411
  • M-Greer4.jpg
    M-Greer4.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 430
  • M-Greer5.jpg
    M-Greer5.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 425

DustyWhite

MG deck by PGC = wow

Thanks for posting those pics.

PGC was distributing the Aquarian deck around 1975 and they had their own interesting additions to this story (see pictures below) but this is the first time I have ever heard that they were still alive and kicking in 1979, and that they had a continuing relationship with the Morgans. PGC took their work *very seriously* and they were excellent custodians of tarot (and metaphysics) given that they were focused on bringing affordable (inexpensive) tools to the general public and amateur market.

This is the first PCG MG deck that I have ever heard of and it helps us tremendously to know that it came with a fold-out instead of a saddle-stitched stapled booklet. I would like to add this information (and some pics) to the waitesmith.org museum site (when we finally compile all of our Morgan images and facts).

The Morgan family has been very kind and very helpful in putting together the information regarding their decks. I am hoping in the next 18-24 months we will get a LOT more information to clear up many of the Scooby Doo mysteries surrounding the production dates, details, and order of their decks.

Attachments

• DSCF1819.jpg
    DSCF1819.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 414
  • DSCF1376.jpg
    DSCF1376.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCF1848.jpg
    DSCF1848.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCF1856.jpg
    DSCF1856.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 390

decan

Ok, you are welcome DustyWhite!

Actually I like very much this deck and because I dislike a little the quality of the regular deck that US Games sells currently (not the pocket one which is fine), I wanted a 1st edition, something "special".
Probably I have it! :)

My deck came from California in a cat food box, lol (but well protected), and its quality is quite good!! It's my go-to deck!
Thank you very much for these informations, I will send you today the pics that you asked me by PM for your online Museum!

DustyWhite

One potato two potato (1st ed, 2nd ed)

Whoops, I got it wrong its a 2nd edition. Per Gregory's link 1st edition would have black border. I'm glad I don't have a black border! :)

The second edition came with the black border. This is what we currently believe after a LOT of research. It is the "freshest" information. Also, I have talked at length with the Morgans (very nice people) and this was a small part of their printing production so they have scraps and some fond memories but they were unable to tell me very much over several conversations about the order of the Aquarian and MG decks other than what we already know.

. . . speaking of which, I really need to get all of that information up on the waitesmith.org site. I haven't even begun to make all of the Morgan pages that need to be done. but we do know that the black border deck came in two different colored boxes and it is not the 1st ed. The 1st edition had a different font on the box. Anyway, hope this helps :)

UPDATE: AWW CRAP! I just realize that I replied to an oldie old old post. "Gee thanks forum notifications." Well the information above is good but it makes no sense unless you read it as a reply to the last post on page one (sorry)

cSpaceDiva

I am curious about the paper with the name printed on it in decan's image labelled 'M-Greer4.jpg' (bottom row, far left). It looks like it says, 'CAITLIN MORGAN." Does anyone know the significance of this sheet? Is it the name of an employee, similar to those 'inspected by' stickers?

I have an early US Games (when they were in New York), tuck box Morgan Greer that came with a sheet just like this and the name "MANISH PATEL". I wondered about it since acquiring the deck and I wasn't even sure if it came with the deck originally. Now I am more inclined to believe that it did.

gregory

I have a blue box Morgan Press one, and there's no name at all on the fold out leaflet - it's all taken up with instructions. My BROWN box Morgan Press copy has a stapled booklet. Also no name involved.

cSpaceDiva

The name is not on the leaflet, but on a separate, seemingly unrelated slip of paper. As I mentioned, I wasn't sure if it even belonged with the deck until I saw decan's pic. If it was regularly included with MG decks, I imagine it's something that most buyers would have discarded. If it wasn't normally included, it leaves me to wonder if there was something significant about when it was included.

Attachments

• MGNameSheet.jpg
    MGNameSheet.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 405