Thoth Tarot Survey

What is your opinion?

• Thoth is a great Deck.

Votes: 131 69.3%
  • Thoth Deck shall be burned, ripped into pieces, buried, pulverized...

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I do not understand Thoth, therefore will refrain from judging

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • Why so much noise about it?

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • I like the cards, but Crowley's shadow is disturbing...

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • It scares me

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

IDN

I too love the Thoth.
I recently bought a large version to accompany my standard size deck.

I have three books on the Thoth:
Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot- Lon Milo DuQuette
The Tarot Handbook- Angeles Arrien
The Crowley Tarot: Handbook to the cards- Akron Hajo Banzhaf

So far the last book seems best by far.

I don't read with the Thoth yet- I am happy just reading up about 1 card a day, and looking at that respective card from my large Thoth.

I consider the Thoth (like my Haindl) a "long term project"!

Regards,
Ian

Lillie

What do you think I am going to say?

Great deck?

Best deck.
Only deck.

I love the deck, and I love Crowley.
Brilliant man, very funny.

Some decks are just pretty art, some are just ugly art.

The Thoth is Crowley whole life, his whole head full of occult theory and practice, all gathered up and shoveled into 78 paintings by Frieda Harris.

Nothing competes, nothing even comes close.

It's dark, it's light, it's funny and serious and sad and stupid and clever.
This is it, it's as good as it gets.

Yeah.

I like it ok. :D

f. silvestris

I love the Thoth. I try not to have too many decks in any case, but if I had just one, this would be it. The Court cards are what really makes it perfect for me. I did feel dubious about getting a deck Crowley had been involved in, but loved Freida Harris' artwork too much to resist it, being, in any case, a fan of Vorticist/Futurist art. I still don't understand why people read secondary books on this deck when the Book Of Thoth is available.

prudence

I love this deck, but can't say it nearly as eloquently as Lillie-frogchild!

Lillie

Thank you, Astrid. You are most kind.

I have found many of your posts both interesting and eloquent.

prudence

Oh Lillie, you flatterer! LOL

Thank you!

MaryElTarotFan

Honestly......

I adore the Thoth Deck but that Book of Thoth nearly drove me batty. I was more than pleased to see other authors coming out with books on how to use this deck as I find the artwork very beautiful and compelling. I do not get any dark or spooky vibes from it at all. I did have a friend though who was totally freaked out by this deck(all things Crowley, actually) to the point it could not be in her prescence, wrapped in cloth or not. There are some images in this deck I could just stare at forever.

Goldenhair

The Thoth ...ahh... I notice new nuances in the artwork each time I look at a card. There are layers upon layers of imagery and symbolism. By studying the symbols and learning the magical system it emerged from I no longer look at the world in the same way. When I encounter a building built before the 1950's, I look at the architecture and style to see what symbols have been incorporated in the design. I now believe architects place every element intentionally and with great care. Paintings and artwork are much more carefully studied. I try to find the thought and intention behind everything. All from a deck of cards.

bladeraven

The thoth is an awesome deck...it feels great in the hands...the color and illustrations are magnificant..it's a definiete....love it or hate it deck.

rainwolf

I first say "why all the noise about it" because if you have something against it, just ignore it.

My second was that it was a great deck because some of the cards are amazing artwork and give inspiration, nevermind the creator.

I am looking for a large thoth so i can cut its borders off and enjoy its size, to also accompany my standard as someone said above~because it a good deck :)