which book first

connegrl

So I'm going to order the Thoth. Once I saw the Knight of Pentacles it was a done deal. I know that look on the horses face. I've not seen a horse done right on any of the other decks I've checked out. For an animal that symbolizes freedom and power its just wrong that an artist can't get it right. Not only that but all the other images just draw me in.

I'm a rank beginner at Tarot and have been working with a RWS version. I got a Robin Wood and worked with it for two weeks and then decided that if I was going to do it I should use the original. After working with my RWS for awhile, I find that I can actually read the Robin Wood, but find it insipid. Everyone raves about this deck and I don't care for it. Didn't care for the Druidcraft either when I looked at a sample copy. Mostly tho it was the card stock. I don't want to waste time with a deck that won't hold up to being used. And I'm just not interested in fluff. I'm doing this just for myself. Not to learn to read for others. No cats or fairies. I want lots of depth. And I don't want to become a deck collector. I have a horse that sucks up all my extra money!

So, I've barely got my feet wet and I'm preparing to jump into the ocean. None of the books that I have are going to help me out much with the Thoth. I know eventually I will need to wade thru the Book of Thoth and it looks like there are other books by AC that I'll eventually want to add to my collection. I just don't want to overwhelm myself right now. I know that there are a couple books that are mentioned alot on this forum to help with understanding the thoth. Which one first??? DuQuette or??? My bank account isn't bottomless. I need to map out my book strategy. LOL I need a foundation to add to.

Thanks!

Jen

Edge

Hello there, I recommend two books for you, Get DuQuette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot and get the Book of Thoth. If budget is a concern go with DuQuette for sure. Beyond that USE the Thoth deck. Time and experience will be your greatest instructors. :)

Scion

Duquette. Hands down.

If you're looking to economize, the Book of Thoth is available all over the www for the downloading... The Duqette will get you on your way and then you'll have Crowley on your computer when the time comes.

Scion.

gorgeousbutterfly

you can find the book of thoth FOR FREE!! don't waste money on buying it. do a google search.

Edge

Some text are just worth having, BOT is one of those. This is a book for study, general reading and reference for any student of Thoth. Well worth the few bucks IMO.

connegrl

I kind of have a thing for books. I like to know that I can go to my book shelf in the winter when the power is out and look up stuff I haven't taken the time to delve into. Don't like running my computer off the generator. Takes away the mood of candle light.

Thanks for the ideas on the book. DuQuette and Zeigler are the most mentioned for books. Just wondered if one was better as a starting point than another. BOT will eventually find its way to my bookshelf.

Picked up the AC Thoth with the 3 magus cards today. The size might be better for my hands and its what Barnes and Noble had. 3 weeks ago they only had the RWS and a couple of 'beginner' sets. Now they have a respectable amount on the shelf...oracles too. The even had a couple of AC's books.

Jen

Cosmotaroist

from my experience, get the Book of Thoth first.....it is the original deal...from the original guy...Crowley himself....

What I did first...was just cruise the books....get a taste of it...get an idea....

I personally found the Duquette intro very good...but for the cards meaning..i always refer to the BofT...its just me.....DuQuette is also kinda chatty...

Alta

I would also say that the Book of Thoth is really the backbone of what you need. Takes a few reads though.

Abrac

Edge said:
Some text are just worth having, BOT is one of those. This is a book for study, general reading and reference for any student of Thoth. Well worth the few bucks IMO.
I hear ya Edge and agree. The BoT I downloaded is a .odt file and it takes forever just to get the damn thing opened on my pc. There may be an html version somewhere but I couldn't find one. The free download seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I'm thinking about just getting the book.

edit to add: actually I think it started off as a pdf file, then I saved it as an .odt so I could open it with Open Office Writer. But whatever, it isn't working very well. Prolly just simpler to get the book.

Edge

My friend, nothing is free... there's always a catch. :)